Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
      On 10/31/2011 07:33 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > ...At least the ones that are real apps. I hear that many are little more than shortcuts to web sites.

      I haven't actually run into any of those. And actually I don't think
      I've ever even heard of them. Weird.

      Dave McGuire
      New Kensington, PA
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
          I have a Sidekick 4G...
          It's... ok..

          In Android the bad app things happens alot.. I have had to reduce the apps I have because some of them cause problems..

          I find that Apps that are free and use ads cause the most problems.(Angry Birds was a bad app)

          I do like my Atari 2600 emulator...

          The Apple is a lot nicer, but you spend more money.. If money is not an object,,Apple... If it is... Android..
          If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
            >>> If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)

            I wouldn't say there are * no * bells/whistles. Some of the new ones, and some of th ones coming out in the next few months, are very modern.

            What I love about my BlackBerry (on my third one because of upgrades) in no particular order:
            - its keyboard is GREAT vs most others
            - email is very good, and better aftermarket email clients are available
            - reception is good
            - battery is decent and removable
            - plenty of apps, not as slick as iOS/Android but they're useful
            - good customization options
            - web browser is tolerable
            - non-touchscreen version is still easy to navigate (has optical mouse)
            - memory card slot
            - good wifi and gps reception
            - most people love BB Messenger although I don't use it
            - productivity apps are easy to use (calendar, office suite, calc, etc.)
            - most of the time it "just works"

            What I hate about it:
            - lousy camera
            - annual (or more) BB service outage
            - processor can be sluggish sometimes
            - needs reboot once every couple of weeks -- sometimes on it own!
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011

            • Curt @ Atari Museum
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for
                the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30
                mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
                  > Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30 mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)

                  I'm going to be a hypocrite for a minute: as much as I'm a hardcore
                  CrackBerry addict, I'm also so flippin' sick of hearing about cool new
                  "apps" and then hearing the inevitable kicker -- they're only available
                  for iOS, and sometimes Android, but rarely anymore for BlackBerry.

                  RIM keeps saying the awesomely modern QNX operating system, a.k.a. BBX,
                  is just around the corner. But I already went through that with Palm and
                  the Linux replacement for PalmOS on Treo -- it was great when it finally
                  arrived, but it was too little, too late -- I'd already switched to
                  BlackBerry and we all know how poorly HP did with WebOS devices.

                  Pains me to say this, but .... maybe I should get an iPhone.

                  (I * did * try Android devices twice in the past couple of years. Each
                  time, I was so disappointed that I went back to BlackBerry after one
                  day. The first time I tried a Samsung Moment, which was a mistake; the
                  phone was crap. The second time I tried a Motorola Xprt which is
                  Sprint's version of the Droid Pro -- allegedly one of the better Android
                  phones and it has a BlackBerry-like keyboard, so I should have loved it.)

                  Further thought on Android -- there were three things in particular that
                  bothered me:
                  1. On a BlackBerry, you just start dialing. I loathe having to open a
                  "phone app" just to make a call. The extra step is pointless. You should
                  be able to just start dialing on every phone.
                  2. BlackBerry, for anyone who's never used one, has an obscure but
                  extremely useful feature which I use every day -- to capitalize a
                  letter, you just hold it down for a split second, rather than having to
                  press and hold a shift key. My reasons for needing a smartphone are
                  email-centric, so that's a lot of key presses every day, and I really
                  don't want to lose this feature which I am so accustomed to having!!
                  3. BlackBerry's browser is terrible, but it too has one very useful
                  feature that I can't imagine living without -- it can automatically zoom
                  and resize just the page text to the width of the screen. On the Android
                  devices that I've tried and on other people's iPhones that I tried, when
                  you pinch to zoom on an article, you just have to guess about how far to
                  go. iPhone/Android owners out there -- is there something that I'm missing?

                  One more thought about onscreen keyboards -- I've tried them many times
                  and it feels so slow. Whether on a computer or BlackBerry, I tend to
                  type very fast. When I tried onscreen keyboards, I kept missing and
                  pressing the wrong keys. I also found it intrusive to have to open
                  separate keyboards to get numbers and special characters. Allegedly the
                  Swype interface was available for the Moto phone, but I couldn't figure
                  out how to get it. It was supposed to be an option in the keyboard
                  settings, but it wasn't there.