Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

      >IPhone4S camera is very nice for average users.

      http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2010/06/apple-iphone-4-camera-specs.html

      "So, the lens is a 3.85 mm f/2.8 lens.
      This corresponds to 35mm film camera equivalent lens of 29.4mm f/21.4."

      iPhone 4 main camera:

      * 5.0 Mpixels (2592 x 1936)
      * 1/3.2" back-illuminated CMOS sensor
      * 4:3 aspect ratio
      * 35 mm film camera crop factor: 7.64
      * Low ISO 80 (or better)
      * 3.85 mm lens focal length
      * f/2.8 lens aperture
      * Autofocus: tap to focus

      Equivalent 35mm film camera and lens:

      * 30 mm f/22

      f/22!!! Gack! I hope it's one hell of a bright sunny day when you use it!

      A 5x 'digital' zoom at full zoom leaves you with an equivalent of 520x380
      resolution. That's akin to YouTube Flash video "quality."

      OK, as a part-time professional photographer, I'd not want to use it but I
      suppose to snap a sexting shot from under a restroom stall wall it'd be OK.
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
        Yah, he said he'd pay my plan too. Thanks Evan,

        I like my DROID2 - it has a keyboard which is useful for people who use a lot of quotation marks, etc related to code, etc.

        Bill Degnan

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
          On 10/31/2011 10:07 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > Yah, he said he'd pay my plan too. Thanks Evan,

          Hey can I get in on this deal? ;)

          > I like my DROID2 - it has a keyboard which is useful for people who use a lot of quotation marks, etc related to code, etc.

          Oh wow, that's definitely handy!

          Dave McGuire
          New Kensington, PA
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
              On 10/31/2011 07:00 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

              >>> Hey can I get in on this deal? ;)
              >
              > Go out to dinner or lunch with Evan and bring a really old cell phone
              > with you and then he will make you a deal ;)

              Fear.

              > Ok. So I had the day off, and some free time. Went to the Verizon
              > store. The sales guy there liked the iPhone. Went to the Staples and
              > the sales girl like the droid. So I got two very different, but
              > strong opinions about both. One issue that come up was the battery.
              > You can replace with the droid. With the iPhone you have to replace
              > the whole phone.

              Untrue; I've replaced many iPhone batteries. It's just not a "user"
              thing.

              > The general impression that I get is that the iPhone is more staple,
              > but less apps.> The Droid is less stable, but more apps.

              True, and not so true. (I have both an iPhone and an Android-based
              tablet) I've found there are just as many apps in iPhone-land, but they
              tend to be of FAR higher quality overall.

              Many Android users (including myself when using my tablet) experience
              occasional "FCs" ("Force Closes"), which is what happens when an app
              crashes. This happens to me several times per week when regularly using
              my (otherwise loved) tablet. In nearly two years of heavy iPhone use,
              I've seen it precisely once.

              iOS is a nicer, more stable, faster, more polished OS overall, by a
              good margin. Android is a more open, more accessible, more capable OS
              overall, also by a good margin. It depends on where your priorities are.

              > The Droid is less stable, but more apps. I will do more research and
              > keep asking questions, as I keep discovering new things that I never
              > considered before. Such as hands free devices, included or not,
              > compatible with my FM hands free device or not. But I really have to
              > say that the iPhone 4S feature of voice recognition (Siri) is really
              > cool ! I will decide by February when my contract renews.

              Siri runs on standard iPhone 4 (non-4S) now as well, though not
              "officially", FYI. To me, the best thing that the 4S does is push down
              the prices on the 4.

              Dave McGuire
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                >>> there are just as many apps in iPhone-land, but they tend to be of FAR higher quality overall.

                ...At least the ones that are real apps. I hear that many are little more than shortcuts to web sites.

                Jeff B.: You haven't stated your priorities in a smartphone. That makes all the difference.
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                  On 10/31/2011 07:33 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > ...At least the ones that are real apps. I hear that many are little more than shortcuts to web sites.

                  I haven't actually run into any of those. And actually I don't think
                  I've ever even heard of them. Weird.

                  Dave McGuire
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                      I have a Sidekick 4G...
                      It's... ok..

                      In Android the bad app things happens alot.. I have had to reduce the apps I have because some of them cause problems..

                      I find that Apps that are free and use ads cause the most problems.(Angry Birds was a bad app)

                      I do like my Atari 2600 emulator...

                      The Apple is a lot nicer, but you spend more money.. If money is not an object,,Apple... If it is... Android..
                      If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                        >>> If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)

                        I wouldn't say there are * no * bells/whistles. Some of the new ones, and some of th ones coming out in the next few months, are very modern.

                        What I love about my BlackBerry (on my third one because of upgrades) in no particular order:
                        - its keyboard is GREAT vs most others
                        - email is very good, and better aftermarket email clients are available
                        - reception is good
                        - battery is decent and removable
                        - plenty of apps, not as slick as iOS/Android but they're useful
                        - good customization options
                        - web browser is tolerable
                        - non-touchscreen version is still easy to navigate (has optical mouse)
                        - memory card slot
                        - good wifi and gps reception
                        - most people love BB Messenger although I don't use it
                        - productivity apps are easy to use (calendar, office suite, calc, etc.)
                        - most of the time it "just works"

                        What I hate about it:
                        - lousy camera
                        - annual (or more) BB service outage
                        - processor can be sluggish sometimes
                        - needs reboot once every couple of weeks -- sometimes on it own!
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011

                        • Curt @ Atari Museum
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                            Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for
                            the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30
                            mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
                              > Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30 mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)

                              I'm going to be a hypocrite for a minute: as much as I'm a hardcore
                              CrackBerry addict, I'm also so flippin' sick of hearing about cool new
                              "apps" and then hearing the inevitable kicker -- they're only available
                              for iOS, and sometimes Android, but rarely anymore for BlackBerry.

                              RIM keeps saying the awesomely modern QNX operating system, a.k.a. BBX,
                              is just around the corner. But I already went through that with Palm and
                              the Linux replacement for PalmOS on Treo -- it was great when it finally
                              arrived, but it was too little, too late -- I'd already switched to
                              BlackBerry and we all know how poorly HP did with WebOS devices.

                              Pains me to say this, but .... maybe I should get an iPhone.

                              (I * did * try Android devices twice in the past couple of years. Each
                              time, I was so disappointed that I went back to BlackBerry after one
                              day. The first time I tried a Samsung Moment, which was a mistake; the
                              phone was crap. The second time I tried a Motorola Xprt which is
                              Sprint's version of the Droid Pro -- allegedly one of the better Android
                              phones and it has a BlackBerry-like keyboard, so I should have loved it.)

                              Further thought on Android -- there were three things in particular that
                              bothered me:
                              1. On a BlackBerry, you just start dialing. I loathe having to open a
                              "phone app" just to make a call. The extra step is pointless. You should
                              be able to just start dialing on every phone.
                              2. BlackBerry, for anyone who's never used one, has an obscure but
                              extremely useful feature which I use every day -- to capitalize a
                              letter, you just hold it down for a split second, rather than having to
                              press and hold a shift key. My reasons for needing a smartphone are
                              email-centric, so that's a lot of key presses every day, and I really
                              don't want to lose this feature which I am so accustomed to having!!
                              3. BlackBerry's browser is terrible, but it too has one very useful
                              feature that I can't imagine living without -- it can automatically zoom
                              and resize just the page text to the width of the screen. On the Android
                              devices that I've tried and on other people's iPhones that I tried, when
                              you pinch to zoom on an article, you just have to guess about how far to
                              go. iPhone/Android owners out there -- is there something that I'm missing?

                              One more thought about onscreen keyboards -- I've tried them many times
                              and it feels so slow. Whether on a computer or BlackBerry, I tend to
                              type very fast. When I tried onscreen keyboards, I kept missing and
                              pressing the wrong keys. I also found it intrusive to have to open
                              separate keyboards to get numbers and special characters. Allegedly the
                              Swype interface was available for the Moto phone, but I couldn't figure
                              out how to get it. It was supposed to be an option in the keyboard
                              settings, but it wasn't there.