Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Which kind of smart phone to get

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
      IPhone4S camera is very nice for average users.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

        >IPhone4S camera is very nice for average users.

        http://falklumo.blogspot.com/2010/06/apple-iphone-4-camera-specs.html

        "So, the lens is a 3.85 mm f/2.8 lens.
        This corresponds to 35mm film camera equivalent lens of 29.4mm f/21.4."

        iPhone 4 main camera:

        * 5.0 Mpixels (2592 x 1936)
        * 1/3.2" back-illuminated CMOS sensor
        * 4:3 aspect ratio
        * 35 mm film camera crop factor: 7.64
        * Low ISO 80 (or better)
        * 3.85 mm lens focal length
        * f/2.8 lens aperture
        * Autofocus: tap to focus

        Equivalent 35mm film camera and lens:

        * 30 mm f/22

        f/22!!! Gack! I hope it's one hell of a bright sunny day when you use it!

        A 5x 'digital' zoom at full zoom leaves you with an equivalent of 520x380
        resolution. That's akin to YouTube Flash video "quality."

        OK, as a part-time professional photographer, I'd not want to use it but I
        suppose to snap a sexting shot from under a restroom stall wall it'd be OK.
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
          Yah, he said he'd pay my plan too. Thanks Evan,

          I like my DROID2 - it has a keyboard which is useful for people who use a lot of quotation marks, etc related to code, etc.

          Bill Degnan

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
            On 10/31/2011 10:07 AM, B. Degnan wrote:
            > Yah, he said he'd pay my plan too. Thanks Evan,

            Hey can I get in on this deal? ;)

            > I like my DROID2 - it has a keyboard which is useful for people who use a lot of quotation marks, etc related to code, etc.

            Oh wow, that's definitely handy!

            Dave McGuire
            New Kensington, PA
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                On 10/31/2011 07:00 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                >>> Hey can I get in on this deal? ;)
                >
                > Go out to dinner or lunch with Evan and bring a really old cell phone
                > with you and then he will make you a deal ;)

                Fear.

                > Ok. So I had the day off, and some free time. Went to the Verizon
                > store. The sales guy there liked the iPhone. Went to the Staples and
                > the sales girl like the droid. So I got two very different, but
                > strong opinions about both. One issue that come up was the battery.
                > You can replace with the droid. With the iPhone you have to replace
                > the whole phone.

                Untrue; I've replaced many iPhone batteries. It's just not a "user"
                thing.

                > The general impression that I get is that the iPhone is more staple,
                > but less apps.> The Droid is less stable, but more apps.

                True, and not so true. (I have both an iPhone and an Android-based
                tablet) I've found there are just as many apps in iPhone-land, but they
                tend to be of FAR higher quality overall.

                Many Android users (including myself when using my tablet) experience
                occasional "FCs" ("Force Closes"), which is what happens when an app
                crashes. This happens to me several times per week when regularly using
                my (otherwise loved) tablet. In nearly two years of heavy iPhone use,
                I've seen it precisely once.

                iOS is a nicer, more stable, faster, more polished OS overall, by a
                good margin. Android is a more open, more accessible, more capable OS
                overall, also by a good margin. It depends on where your priorities are.

                > The Droid is less stable, but more apps. I will do more research and
                > keep asking questions, as I keep discovering new things that I never
                > considered before. Such as hands free devices, included or not,
                > compatible with my FM hands free device or not. But I really have to
                > say that the iPhone 4S feature of voice recognition (Siri) is really
                > cool ! I will decide by February when my contract renews.

                Siri runs on standard iPhone 4 (non-4S) now as well, though not
                "officially", FYI. To me, the best thing that the 4S does is push down
                the prices on the 4.

                Dave McGuire
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                  >>> there are just as many apps in iPhone-land, but they tend to be of FAR higher quality overall.

                  ...At least the ones that are real apps. I hear that many are little more than shortcuts to web sites.

                  Jeff B.: You haven't stated your priorities in a smartphone. That makes all the difference.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                    On 10/31/2011 07:33 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > ...At least the ones that are real apps. I hear that many are little more than shortcuts to web sites.

                    I haven't actually run into any of those. And actually I don't think
                    I've ever even heard of them. Weird.

                    Dave McGuire
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Jeffrey Brace
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                        I have a Sidekick 4G...
                        It's... ok..

                        In Android the bad app things happens alot.. I have had to reduce the apps I have because some of them cause problems..

                        I find that Apps that are free and use ads cause the most problems.(Angry Birds was a bad app)

                        I do like my Atari 2600 emulator...

                        The Apple is a lot nicer, but you spend more money.. If money is not an object,,Apple... If it is... Android..
                        If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                          >>> If you want a stable phone with no bells & whistles.. Blackberry (I have one.. It just works)

                          I wouldn't say there are * no * bells/whistles. Some of the new ones, and some of th ones coming out in the next few months, are very modern.

                          What I love about my BlackBerry (on my third one because of upgrades) in no particular order:
                          - its keyboard is GREAT vs most others
                          - email is very good, and better aftermarket email clients are available
                          - reception is good
                          - battery is decent and removable
                          - plenty of apps, not as slick as iOS/Android but they're useful
                          - good customization options
                          - web browser is tolerable
                          - non-touchscreen version is still easy to navigate (has optical mouse)
                          - memory card slot
                          - good wifi and gps reception
                          - most people love BB Messenger although I don't use it
                          - productivity apps are easy to use (calendar, office suite, calc, etc.)
                          - most of the time it "just works"

                          What I hate about it:
                          - lousy camera
                          - annual (or more) BB service outage
                          - processor can be sluggish sometimes
                          - needs reboot once every couple of weeks -- sometimes on it own!
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011

                          • Curt @ Atari Museum
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
                              Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for
                              the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30
                              mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
                                > Yeah, the iPhone 4 repairs/replacement of parts is definitely not for the faint of heart, the 3 and 3s were so early, the 4 take nearly 30 mins just to take apart, damn its packed in there! :-)

                                I'm going to be a hypocrite for a minute: as much as I'm a hardcore
                                CrackBerry addict, I'm also so flippin' sick of hearing about cool new
                                "apps" and then hearing the inevitable kicker -- they're only available
                                for iOS, and sometimes Android, but rarely anymore for BlackBerry.

                                RIM keeps saying the awesomely modern QNX operating system, a.k.a. BBX,
                                is just around the corner. But I already went through that with Palm and
                                the Linux replacement for PalmOS on Treo -- it was great when it finally
                                arrived, but it was too little, too late -- I'd already switched to
                                BlackBerry and we all know how poorly HP did with WebOS devices.

                                Pains me to say this, but .... maybe I should get an iPhone.

                                (I * did * try Android devices twice in the past couple of years. Each
                                time, I was so disappointed that I went back to BlackBerry after one
                                day. The first time I tried a Samsung Moment, which was a mistake; the
                                phone was crap. The second time I tried a Motorola Xprt which is
                                Sprint's version of the Droid Pro -- allegedly one of the better Android
                                phones and it has a BlackBerry-like keyboard, so I should have loved it.)

                                Further thought on Android -- there were three things in particular that
                                bothered me:
                                1. On a BlackBerry, you just start dialing. I loathe having to open a
                                "phone app" just to make a call. The extra step is pointless. You should
                                be able to just start dialing on every phone.
                                2. BlackBerry, for anyone who's never used one, has an obscure but
                                extremely useful feature which I use every day -- to capitalize a
                                letter, you just hold it down for a split second, rather than having to
                                press and hold a shift key. My reasons for needing a smartphone are
                                email-centric, so that's a lot of key presses every day, and I really
                                don't want to lose this feature which I am so accustomed to having!!
                                3. BlackBerry's browser is terrible, but it too has one very useful
                                feature that I can't imagine living without -- it can automatically zoom
                                and resize just the page text to the width of the screen. On the Android
                                devices that I've tried and on other people's iPhones that I tried, when
                                you pinch to zoom on an article, you just have to guess about how far to
                                go. iPhone/Android owners out there -- is there something that I'm missing?

                                One more thought about onscreen keyboards -- I've tried them many times
                                and it feels so slow. Whether on a computer or BlackBerry, I tend to
                                type very fast. When I tried onscreen keyboards, I kept missing and
                                pressing the wrong keys. I also found it intrusive to have to open
                                separate keyboards to get numbers and special characters. Allegedly the
                                Swype interface was available for the Moto phone, but I couldn't figure
                                out how to get it. It was supposed to be an option in the keyboard
                                settings, but it wasn't there.