Re: [midatlanticretro] my local stationer still has Smith Corona 2.8" floppies

  • M. Edward Wilborne, III
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011
      The Roland S-10, and MKS-100 samplers use these size disks.  I have a bunch of them.

      Unfortunately, the belt (more like circular rubber band) on my 2.8 disk drive in my sampler broke, turned to goo, and gummed up the drive, making it difficult to fix.

      Ed

      On 10/30/2011 5:27 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:

      I hope nobody's using them, but my local stationer still sells:

      http://www.fileformat.info/media/2.8-floppy/
      2.8 inch Floppy Disk
      Also known as: Smith-Corona DataDisk 2.8, Data Disk 2.8

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011
        Also, the Akai S-612 sampler used that type disk to hold audio
        samples. They called it a "QuickDisk". IIRC, it holds 64K, and uses
        a single spiral track. It's designed to be two-sided, and no
        modifications are needed to the disk (as was done with 5.25" floppies
        with a notcher, to make them two-sided).

        73 de Ray

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2011

          The Roland S-10, and MKS-100 samplers use these size disks.  I have a bunch of them.

          Unfortunately, the belt (more like circular rubber band) on my 2.8 disk drive in my sampler broke, turned to goo, and gummed up the drive, making it difficult to fix.

          Ed

          Hello! Please introduce yourself. What's your background/interest in vintage computer, where you're located, how you heard about our group, etc.

          - Evan (group prez)
        • Ed
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
            Hello Evan and the group! I'm pretty sure I introduced myself when I first joined, but in case I didn't, it got rejected, or otherwise lost in Yahoo's mail handler :) ... here goes my introduction, again:

            Hi! My name is Ed. I'm the CIO for a small technology company located in Danville Virginia.

            We provide Internet services, IPTV services, VoIP services, IT Consulting, Structured Wiring Solutions (CAT3, CAT 5, 5E, 6, fiber-singlemode, multimode, etc.)-installation, termination, certification and warranty, Wireless Internet services, wireless Internet data cards (cell), phone systems (Mitel, NEC, Cisco), tower construction, tower maintenance, equipment installation on towers, generator installations, data hut installations, security systems, camera systems, dvr systems, videoteleconference systems, multimedia home systems, etc. etc. etc. We're like the Borg of Technology. We find related technologies, assimilate them, and then provide total turn key solutions for our customers. One stop shopping. We rarely say "No" to a customer request.

            My interest in vintage computers has grown over the years. I learned initially on a TRS-80 Model I and then subsequently on TRS-80 Model III, Wang PCS-II and Apple II while in high school.

            My first job, programming, was for Pet CBM computers, then I went to work for another company programming on TRS-80 Model II and Model III. Over the years I worked my way up, programming on DEC VAX 6000 clusters, then finally on PC(s).

            I used to just toss the old computer junk out and get the latest stuff. But now, I find myself collecting those old computers, refurbishing them when I can, and keeping the best specimens for my collection. I have a near mint condition 16k Level II Model 1 with Monitor and a Model III 16K (no floppies). I also have several Model 4 and other Model 3 computers that are in various stages of restoration. I have a variety of TRS-80 pocket computers, every variety of TRS-80 color computer I collect Apple, Commodore and other computers that I've had some experience with in the past. I'm also partial to single board computers and have one of Bob Armstrong's SBC61210 computers (just got it, in fact). I have a MicroVAX 3100 model 40 that I need to install some drives on, then I plan on firing that thing up. The computer was removed in operation from a hospital, but the drives were shredded due to HIPPA.

            I found out about and joined this list by using the Yahoo search mechanism to find groups interested in vintage computers, their use, restoration, preservation and discussion. This group is the most active of the vintage groups, so I am enjoying that aspect of the group.

            As an aside, I don't post often. I don't have a lot of time for posting since I'm a graduate Computer Science student at NC State's School of Engineering. My classes and research keep me very busy.

            I do read all the posts, even the many OT posts. Which unfortunately, push me towards leaving the list, but for now the pros outweigh the cons and so I'm still subscribed.

            I notice some of the posts here are from ham radio operators, I'm also an Extra class operator (earned it by learning 20wpm CW). AD4AX.

            I hope this is an adequate introduction and feel free to inquire about my collection or ask questions. I have 6 APPLE IIc(s), 5 of which I plan on selling, for example. They are all functional. I am looking for a Wang PCS-II. I'd love to have an operational version of this, however, it is looking more and more like I'll have to implement this using FPGA technology at some point.

            Ed

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
              > I'm pretty sure I introduced myself when I first joined

              My mistake, you did, on July 26. Apparently you're posting from multiple
              email programs (which is fine) and, although they're using the same
              address, one says your full name and the other just displays as "Ed"
              ..... that threw me off.