John McCarthy

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2011
      Apparently John McCarthy just died. He is one of the pioneers of artificial intelligence /LISP

      Jobs/Ritchie/McCarthy/?
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2011
        On 10/24/2011 06:30 PM, B Degnan wrote:
        > Apparently John McCarthy just died. He is one of the pioneers of artificial intelligence /LISP
        >
        > Jobs/Ritchie/McCarthy/?

        Indeed, the term "artificial intelligence" was his.

        Terrible news indeed.

        Dave McGuire
        New Kensington, PA
      • Jeff Jonas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2011
          > Apparently John McCarthy just died. He is one of the pioneers of artificial intelligence /LISP

          Perhaps I need to poke bookmarks in the books as I browse them for the MARCH library. "Programming Languages: Design and Implementation" page 417. Chapter 14: LISP 1.5

          "the LISP language was first designed and implemented by John McCarthy and a group at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1960"
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2011
            At 01:41 AM 10/29/2011, you wrote:
            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            > > Apparently John McCarthy just died. He is one of the pioneers of
            > artificial intelligence /LISP
            >
            >Perhaps I need to poke bookmarks in the books as I browse them for
            >the MARCH library. "Programming Languages: Design and
            >Implementation" page 417. Chapter 14: LISP 1.5
            >
            >"the LISP language was first designed and implemented by John
            >McCarthy and a group at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology around 1960"

            From the dankest corner of my programming language reference books ...

            "The Programming Language LISP: Its Operation and Applications by
            Edmund Berkeley, Paul Abrahams (and many others). This is a book
            edited by Berkeley and Abrahams, useful articles, etc. In the book
            there are references to McCarthy and others' book LISP 1.5
            Programmer's Manual. Does MARCH have a copy of that? It would be
            worth looking for this, put on display near the PDP 8.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2011
              On 10/29/2011 10:29 AM, B Degnan wrote:
              > In the book there are references to McCarthy and others' book LISP
              > 1.5 Programmer's Manual. Does MARCH have a copy of that? It would
              > be worth looking for this, put on display near the PDP 8.

              Indeed, that book can still be purchased new. Amazon has it.

              Dave McGuire
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 29, 2011
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                >On 10/29/2011 10:29 AM, B Degnan wrote:
                >> In the book there are references to McCarthy and others' book LISP
                >> 1.5 Programmer's Manual. Does MARCH have a copy of that? It would
                >> be worth looking for this, put on display near the PDP 8.
                >
                > Indeed, that book can still be purchased new. Amazon has it.
                >
                > -Dave
                >
                >--
                >Dave McGuire
                >New Kensington, PA