ZOOM to computers!

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2011
      here's an interesting computer link from the TV show "ZOOM"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZOOM_%281972_TV_series%29

      Edith Mooers (1973-1974) showed genius in mathematics at an early age, won prestigious academic awards in math as a university undergraduate, and went on to earn a Ph.D. in mathematics from MIT. Her father was the legendary computer pioneer Dr. Calvin Mooers (1919-1994).

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Mooers

      Calvin Northrup Mooers (1919 \xe2\x80\x93 December 1, 1994), was an American computer scientist known for his work in information retrieval and for the programming language TRAC.

      Mooers was a native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, attended the University of Minnesota, and received a bachelor's degree in mathematics in 1941. He worked at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory from 1941 to 1946, and then attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he earned a master's degree in mathematics and physics. At M.I.T. he developed a mechanical system using superimposed codes of descriptors for information retrieval called Zatocoding. He founded the Zator Company in 1947 to market this idea, and pursued work in information theory, information retrieval, and artificial intelligence.

      He coined the term "information retrieval" using it first in a conference paper presented in March 1950.[1]

      He coined "Mooers' Law" (not to be confused with Moore's Law) and its corollary in 1959:

      - An information retrieval system will tend not to be used whenever it is more painful and troublesome for a customer to have information than for him not to have it.

      - Where an information retrieval system tends not to be used, a more capable information retrieval system may tend to be used even less.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
          Not bad for a one-year old!

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

          > here's an interesting computer link from the TV show "ZOOM"
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZOOM_%281972_TV_series%29
          >
          > Edith Mooers (1973-1974) showed genius in mathematics at an early age, won prestigious academic awards in math as a university undergraduate, and went on to earn a Ph.D. in mathematics from MIT. Her father was the legendary computer pioneer Dr. Calvin Mooers (1919-1994).
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Mooers
          >
          > Calvin Northrup Mooers (1919 \xe2\x80\x93 December 1, 1994), was an American computer scientist known for his work in information retrieval and for the programming language TRAC.
          >
          > Mooers was a native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, attended the University of Minnesota, and received a bachelor's degree in mathematics in 1941. He worked at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory from 1941 to 1946, and then attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he earned a master's degree in mathematics and physics. At M.I.T. he developed a mechanical system using superimposed codes of descriptors for information retrieval called Zatocoding. He founded the Zator Company in 1947 to market this idea, and pursued work in information theory, information retrieval, and artificial intelligence.
          >
          > He coined the term "information retrieval" using it first in a conference paper presented in March 1950.[1]
          >
          > He coined "Mooers' Law" (not to be confused with Moore's Law) and its corollary in 1959:
          >
          > - An information retrieval system will tend not to be used whenever it is more painful and troublesome for a customer to have information than for him not to have it.
          >
          > - Where an information retrieval system tends not to be used, a more capable information retrieval system may tend to be used even less.

        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
            Her father is also known for suing MARCH's own Claude Kagan over the SAM76
            language.

            http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TracLanguage

            The circle is unbroken.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
              I also saw the 1973-1974 date by her name.
              I don't know how old she actually was but here is a 22 second video of from the
              show.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vKcBKVzTCw&feature=related