RIP Dennis Ritchie

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011

      RIP Dennis Ritchie

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
        At 07:58 AM 10/13/2011, you wrote:

        RIP Dennis Ritchie

        I believe I met Dennis once, he gave a seminar about C to the company I was working for at the time, Zeneca Pharmaceuticals in 1994.  Only three people showed up including me.

        He was teaching some advanced stuff, went way over my head.

        I wonder what he thought about C++

        Bill
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011

          On Oct 13, 2011 8:33 AM, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > At 07:58 AM 10/13/2011, you wrote:
          >

          >> RIP Dennis Ritchie
          >>

          > I believe I met Dennis once, he gave a seminar about C to the company I was working for at the time, Zeneca Pharmaceuticals in 1994.  Only three people showed up including me.
          >
          > He was teaching some advanced stuff, went way over my head.
          >
          > I wonder what he thought about C++

          He was still at Bell Labs when I joined until he retired about 2000. But I always missed a chance to meet him, I was often in a different place or wasn't at the right place between the many sites  :\

          =Dan

        • Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
            > RIP Dennis Ritchie

            Confirmed:
            http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/13/dennis_ritchie/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

            Drat, now I'll never get that book autographed, or get to thank him for my career in Unix/Linux instead of still using //JOB cards on mainframes.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
              On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Jeff Jonas wrote:

              > Drat, now I'll never get that book autographed, or get to thank him for my career in Unix/Linux instead of still using //JOB cards on mainframes.

              We still have people on our mainframe that use such JCL.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Jeff Jonas
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
                > >> RIP Dennis Ritchie

                > He was still at Bell Labs when I joined
                > until he retired about 2000.
                > But I always missed a chance to meet him

                I never got to work at Murry Hill.
                I was only there to attend Mark & Evelyn Leeper's movies
                or a seminar at the auditorium.
                AT&T's headcount was so HUGE in the 80s
                that I was just lost in the crowd
                and I didn't wanna "fanboy him".
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
                  Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                  >On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                  >
                  >> Drat, now I'll never get that book autographed, or get to thank him
                  >for my career in Unix/Linux instead of still using //JOB cards on
                  >mainframes.
                  >
                  > We still have people on our mainframe that use such JCL.

                  With punched cards? :D
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
                    On 10/13/2011 10:09 AM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                    >> Drat, now I'll never get that book autographed, or get to thank him for my career in Unix/Linux instead of still using //JOB cards on mainframes.
                    >
                    > We still have people on our mainframe that use such JCL.

                    Indeed, most of the world still runs on such JCL. Not the
                    webby/iPhone part, but stuff like finance. It's been there (evolving,
                    but there) for forty years, and isn't going away anytime soon, as
                    frightening as that might be. (though I'm starting to like JCL a bit
                    more lately)

                    These days the JCL is edited on PeeCees and jobs are submitted by
                    hitting an F-key, but the JCL is still there.

                    Dave McGuire
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
                      On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, system@... wrote:

                      > Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:
                      >
                      >> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Drat, now I'll never get that book autographed, or get to thank him
                      >> for my career in Unix/Linux instead of still using //JOB cards on
                      >> mainframes.
                      >>
                      >> We still have people on our mainframe that use such JCL.
                      >
                      > With punched cards? :D

                      Nah, they moved into the 20th century. As far as I know, I have the
                      only functioning keypunch and card reader in town. :-)

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Jeffrey Brace
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 13, 2011
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
                          > RIP Dennis Ritchie

                          While Evan might not get onto TV for dmr's obit, I think it behooves us to have at least a decent poster & web page for him, since it's all "made in NJ".

                          Perhaps even some trade-journal coverage too? Consider this publicity stunt by the CA museum:

                          http://www.edn.com/article/519496-Computer_History_Museum_honors_Jim_Williams_and_Bob_Pease.php

                          http://edn-mail.com/portal/wts/cemciv2deEBaeduvkq2vDSeegvDwrc

                          Computer History Museum honors Jim Williams and Bob Pease

                          Museum organizes display of Williams' lab bench to honor analog engineers. Paul Rako, Technical Editor -- EDN, October 6, 2011

                          Paul Rako, Technical Editor -- EDN, October 6, 2011

                          image 1Paul Rako headshotThe Co
                          mputer History Museum in Mountain View, CA (photo, right), is building an \xe2\x80\x9cEng
                          ineers at Work\xe2\x80\x9d exhibit, which it plans to open on Oct 15. The exhibit will ho
                          nor the late \xe2\x80\x9canalog gurus\xe2\x80\x9d Jim Williams and Bob Pease, who both di
                          ed this year. As part of the exhibit, Dag Spicer, the senior curator at the museum, will
                          arrange and display Williams\xe2\x80\x99 famously cluttered workbench (photo, below left)
                          . Jon Plutte, the media producer at the museum, notes that the exhibit will \xe2\x80\x9cc
                          elebrate the engineers of today and inspire the engineers of tomorrow.\xe2\x80\x9d

                          EDN will also have a role in the museum\xe2\x80\x99s exhibit. John Hamburger, the directo
                          r of marketing communications at Linear Technology, selected seven issues of EDN, which w
                          ill be on display. The issues include a sampling of the many articles Jim Williams wrote
                          for EDN over a span of more than three decades. These articles and more are available at
                          www.edn.com/jimwilliams. As part of the video assets of the exhibit, the museum officials
                          interviewed many of the people Williams worked with at Linear Technology, and they also
                          spoke with me.
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                            On 10/14/2011 04:09 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti<ragooman@...> wrote:
                            >> RIP Dennis Ritchie
                            >
                            > While Evan might not get onto TV for dmr's obit, I think it behooves us to have at least a decent poster& web page for him, since it's all "made in NJ".
                            >
                            > Perhaps even some trade-journal coverage too? Consider this publicity stunt by the CA museum:
                            >

                            > http://www.edn.com/article/519496-Computer_History_Museum_honors_Jim_Williams_and_Bob_Pease.php
                            >
                            > http://edn-mail.com/portal/wts/cemciv2deEBaeduvkq2vDSeegvDwrc

                            WTF? How is building an exhibit to honor two of the greatest minds
                            the electronics world has ever known a "publicity stunt"?

                            Dave McGuire
                            New Kensington, PA
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011

                              On Oct 14, 2011 4:21 PM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                              > On 10/14/2011 04:09 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti<ragooman@...>  wrote:
                              > >> RIP Dennis Ritchie
                              > >
                              > > While Evan might not get onto TV for dmr's obit, I think it behooves us to have at least a decent poster&  web page for him, since it's all "made in NJ".
                              > >
                              > > Perhaps even some trade-journal coverage too? Consider this publicity stunt by the CA museum:
                              > >

                              > > http://www.edn.com/article/519496-Computer_History_Museum_honors_Jim_Williams_and_Bob_Pease.php
                              > >
                              > > http://edn-mail.com/portal/wts/cemciv2deEBaeduvkq2vDSeegvDwrc
                              >
                              >   WTF?  How is building an exhibit to honor two of the greatest minds
                              > the electronics world has ever known a "publicity stunt"?

                              Uh-oh, the lease broke again - Heal ! , Heal Dave !  ;)
                              <haaa>

                              It seems he used the wrong term, it might be a poor choice of words.

                              =Dan

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                On 10/14/2011 04:39 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                > > On 10/14/2011 04:09 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                                > > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                > > >
                                > > > While Evan might not get onto TV for dmr's obit, I think it
                                > behooves us to have at least a decent poster& web page for him, since
                                > it's all "made in NJ".
                                > > >
                                > > > Perhaps even some trade-journal coverage too? Consider this
                                > publicity stunt by the CA museum:
                                > > >

                                > http://www.edn.com/article/519496-Computer_History_Museum_honors_Jim_Williams_and_Bob_Pease.php
                                > > >
                                > > > http://edn-mail.com/portal/wts/cemciv2deEBaeduvkq2vDSeegvDwrc
                                > >
                                > > WTF? How is building an exhibit to honor two of the greatest minds
                                > > the electronics world has ever known a "publicity stunt"?
                                > >

                                > Uh-oh, the lease broke again - Heal ! , Heal Dave ! ;)
                                > <haaa>

                                Rrrawwrrrrrr!!! *CHOMP* *snarl* *growl* ;)

                                > It seems he used the wrong term, it might be a poor choice of words.

                                Perhaps!

                                Dave McGuire
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                  On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:

                                  > Uh-oh, the lease broke again - Heal ! , Heal Dave ! ;)
                                  > <haaa>
                                  >
                                  > It seems he used the wrong term, it might be a poor choice of words.

                                  That's "Heel". :-)

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                    On 10/14/2011 04:47 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                                    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Uh-oh, the lease broke again - Heal ! , Heal Dave ! ;)
                                    >> <haaa>
                                    >>
                                    >> It seems he used the wrong term, it might be a poor choice of words.
                                    >
                                    > That's "Heel". :-)

                                    *BITE* *SNARL*

                                    --
                                    Dave McGuire
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                        Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                                        >--OLol-tE1ocZa2sDojJzPb30Ek7AOe-URnuwD3CN Content-Type: text/plain;
                                        >charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                                        >
                                        >On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Dan Roganti wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Uh-oh, the lease broke again - Heal ! , Heal Dave ! ;) > <haaa> > >
                                        >It seems he used the wrong term, it might be a poor choice of words.
                                        >
                                        > That's "Heel". :-)

                                        ... and leash!
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                          Gezundheit!

                                          On 10/14/2011 05:06 PM, system@... wrote:

                                          Dave McGuire
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                            > Gezundheit!

                                            What is your malfunction?
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                              On 10/14/2011 05:16 PM, system@... wrote:
                                              >> Gezundheit!
                                              >
                                              > What is your malfunction?

                                              Today? I have a really bad headache. For days now I've been working
                                              on what should have been a relatively simple PCB layout that is made
                                              more complex due to physical constraints. The board has to be long and
                                              skinny, which is making routing the thing a real bitch. Every time I go
                                              downstairs to take a break, I see traces and vias and pads floating in
                                              the air in front of me.

                                              Now, don't get me wrong, I love designing stuff and laying out
                                              PCBs...but this one seriously sucks, and I'm under a huge amount of time
                                              pressure to get it done, so there are vias everywhere and it's really
                                              not anything to be proud of.

                                              Dave McGuire
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                                >>> Uh-oh, the lease broke again - Heal !

                                                Multiple syntax errors.
                                              • Jeff Jonas
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                                  > WTF? How is building an exhibit to honor
                                                  > two of the greatest minds the electronics
                                                  > world has ever known a "publicity stunt"?

                                                  My objection was the way it was presented as a press release,
                                                  and the immense publicity the California folks generate
                                                  whereas NJ can't get anywhere that much coverage.

                                                  The IEEE HQ is in NJ,
                                                  the ACM HQ is in NYC.
                                                  I'm yet to meet anyone from either at Infoage.

                                                  We might have the first machine on which Unix was developed
                                                  but we have many of them (PDP11, 3B2)
                                                  and is there any other NJ museum better positioned
                                                  to honor the Bell Labs folks?
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                                    >>> The IEEE HQ is in NJ, the ACM HQ is in NYC. I'm yet to meet anyone from either at Infoage.

                                                    IEEE has meetings at InfoAge all the time, just during the week. Some of the volunteers and visitors are IEEE people.

                                                    ACM seems to be mostly a Princeton crew.

                                                    Anyway, we keep making baby steps.
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 14, 2011
                                                      On 10/14/2011 10:06 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                                                      >> WTF? How is building an exhibit to honor
                                                      >> two of the greatest minds the electronics
                                                      >> world has ever known a "publicity stunt"?
                                                      >
                                                      > My objection was the way it was presented as a press release,

                                                      Museums usually have press releases to announce new exhibits. This
                                                      is nothing new, and it's usually not frowned upon. LOTS of people were
                                                      asking questions (mostly directed at Linear Technology, Jim Williams'
                                                      last employer) about what would happen to Jim's famed workbench, likely
                                                      worried that it had just been swept into a trash bin, along with his
                                                      beloved Tektronix 547. I see the press release as a way to get the word
                                                      out that everything is safe, and is being treated with the respect and
                                                      reverence it deserves.

                                                      > and the immense publicity the California folks generate
                                                      > whereas NJ can't get anywhere that much coverage.
                                                      >
                                                      > The IEEE HQ is in NJ,
                                                      > the ACM HQ is in NYC.
                                                      > I'm yet to meet anyone from either at Infoage.

                                                      But they're both gigantic international organizations, and their
                                                      headquarters are little more than offices and administrative
                                                      crap...i.e., *employees*, not necessarily people who are representative
                                                      of their membership.

                                                      > We might have the first machine on which Unix was developed

                                                      Really? Tell me more!

                                                      > but we have many of them (PDP11, 3B2)
                                                      > and is there any other NJ museum better positioned
                                                      > to honor the Bell Labs folks?

                                                      Absolutely not. But let's face it: MARCH is a fantastic museum, but
                                                      CHM is friggin' gigantic and rolling in dough. I suspect fame and
                                                      dollars trumped geographic relevancy here, if any really existed in
                                                      regard to IEEE and ACM. As for Jim Williams and Bob Pease, they both
                                                      lived (and died) in California.

                                                      Note that I am in no way dissing the MARCH museum (or you for that
                                                      matter) here. I talk it up to anyone who'll listen, and even a few who
                                                      won't. It's just that I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

                                                      Dave McGuire
                                                      New Kensington, PA
                                                    • Jeff Jonas
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 15, 2011
                                                        > > We might have the first machine on which Unix was developed

                                                        > Really? Tell me more!

                                                        Typo ...
                                                        my brain composed
                                                        "we might NOT have the ... but we have the ..."
                                                        but my fingers didn't catch up.
                                                        Buffer overflow :-(

                                                        > > but we have many of them (PDP11, 3B2)
                                                        > > and is there any other NJ museum better positioned
                                                        > > to honor the Bell Labs folks?

                                                        > Absolutely not. But let's face it:
                                                        > MARCH is a fantastic museum,
                                                        > but CHM is friggin' gigantic and rolling in dough.

                                                        Understood.
                                                        I have a deep resentment with the way Californians
                                                        get publicity for anything
                                                        and take credit for any technology.
                                                        For example, CA celebrated the 50th anniv of the transistor
                                                        despite it being invented in NJ!
                                                        Where's the NJ publicity machine?

                                                        With all the effort we put into the displays
                                                        and the continuing effort to rotate exhibits,
                                                        I'd like to see more effective press releases
                                                        sharing our results.
                                                        They're free, or is there some insertion fee
                                                        for the PR newswire?
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 15, 2011
                                                          >>> I'd like to see more effective press releases sharing our results.

                                                          Marketing and PR is something which needs improvement InfoAge-wide. Doing it right is difficult (despite what most engineers think), time-consuming, and, yes, there are costs. Don't forget that we are all volunteers on a shoestring budget.

                                                          As with everything else, in this area too InfoAge is making baby-step progress. The local weekly papers in Monmouth County; the larger Asbury Park Press; and News 12 NJ tv station all cover InfoAge happenings on a regular basis. There has also been coverage in all sorts of technical media -- for example there was an InfoAge story recently in some kind of microwave (not oven!) journal, and remember when VCF East got a huge story on ArsTechnica?

                                                          We haven't cracked major mainstream media -- the Star-Ledger, big TV, etc. -- but someday we will.

                                                          Here's a PR twist: that is why we need more skilled volunteers and more donations.
                                                        • Bob Schwier
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 15, 2011
                                                            If it wasn't for the work done in this area through WWII, there would not have been a
                                                            Silicon Valley.
                                                            bs