Ken Olsen, Ed Roberts, Steve Jobs (sp.)

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
      Ken Olsen, Ed Roberts, Steve Jobs - we need a fitting memorial to
      people like these. A Mt. Rushmore of computing pioneers.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011

        On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
        Ken Olsen, Ed Roberts, Steve Jobs - we need a fitting memorial to
        people like these.  A Mt. Rushmore of computing pioneers.

        All of them should be admired for their achievements. However, there's been quite a few that have passed away already - prior to the existence of this mailing list  - all of which might never fit on any Mt Rushmore - but making the attempt is noteworthy. It just wouldn't be appropriate to exclude them too.

        =Dan

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
          http://xkcd.com/961/

          You have to admit... It's funny
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011

            > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Ken Olsen, Ed Roberts, Steve Jobs - we need a fitting memorial to
            > > people like these. A Mt. Rushmore of computing pioneers.
            > >

            > All of them should be admired for their achievements. However, there's
            been
            > quite a few that have passed away already - prior to the existence of
            this
            > mailing list - all of which might never fit on any Mt Rushmore - but
            making
            > the attempt is noteworthy. It just wouldn't be appropriate to exclude
            them
            > too.
            >
            > =Dan

            The CHM has a hall of fame / wall.

            bd
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011

              On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:41 AM, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Ken Olsen, Ed Roberts, Steve Jobs - we need a fitting memorial to
              > > people like these.  A Mt. Rushmore of computing pioneers.
              > >

              > All of them should be admired for their achievements. However, there's
              been
              > quite a few that have passed away already - prior to the existence of
              this
              > mailing list  - all of which might never fit on any Mt Rushmore - but
              making
              > the attempt is noteworthy. It just wouldn't be appropriate to exclude
              them
              > too.
              >
              > =Dan

              The CHM has a hall of fame / wall.

              I agree it's a good idea, but excluding people can always be a problem -You don't want the stink associated with others, as in the NFL Hall of Fame where it takes 20yrs to get recognized. I've seen the Hall of Fellows wall on the CHM website - but it has living as well as deceased people - is this the one you're talking about. Because I feel it's rather short - not sure what they use for their criteria. But I see the Woz is on there - but not Seymour Cray ??

              =Dan

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011

                > > The CHM has a hall of fame / wall.
                > >

                > I agree it's a good idea, but excluding people can always be a problem
                -You
                > don't want the stink associated with others, as in the NFL Hall of Fame
                > where it takes 20yrs to get recognized. I've seen the Hall of Fellows
                wall
                > on the CHM website - but it has living as well as deceased people - is
                this
                > the one you're talking about. Because I feel it's rather short - not
                sure
                > what they use for their criteria. But I see the Woz is on there - but
                > not Seymour Cray ??
                >
                > =Dan

                Halls of Fame tend to be domiated by writers/historians, so you take them
                for what they're worth I guess. I am originally just saying that I like
                Steve Jobs, he was in the top tier of computer pioneers however you slice
                it!
                Bill
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011

                  On Oct 6, 2011 10:17 AM, "Christian Liendo" <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                  > http://xkcd.com/961/
                  >
                  > You have to admit... It's funny

                  Yea, that's neat, it has a nice touch.

                  I wonder now if his new building design, that was as big as a starship, will still get built.