Re: [midatlanticretro] "vintage" yahoo

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
      On 10/03/2011 12:01 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      >> It won't be a big loss even if they buy it and chop it up; Yahoo! has
      >> been circling the drain for a while.
      >
      > I remember when it was a big list web page of links (1994-95?). You used
      > to be able to send an email to someone who would insert your link for you.
      > I even had a phone number of a girl I knew there who could help me cut
      > through the red tape. That was all before the "add url" stuff. Eventually
      > I gave up thinking, geez it's taking two weeks to get my sites listed!

      And now the suits have moved in. :-(

      > While I am walking down vintage Internet lane, does anyone remember having
      > to submit domain registration requests using the old ACK text file system
      > of the Internic or whatever it was called?

      Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
      hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
      "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
      ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
      us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        > Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
        >hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
        >"Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
        >("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
        >us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.

        ...and it ran on a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
          On 10/03/2011 07:58 PM, system@... wrote:
          >> Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
          >> hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
          >> "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
          >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
          >> us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.
          >
          > ...and it ran on a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.

          The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
          Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >On 10/03/2011 07:58 PM, system@... wrote: >> Oh
            >yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to >>
            >hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called >>
            >"Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s >>
            >("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
            >>> us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial. > > ...and it ran on a
            >DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
            >
            > The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
            >Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.

            Then you're too young to remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then
            known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
              On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote:
              >> yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to>>
              >> hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called>>
              >> "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>>
              >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
              >> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
              >>
              >> The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
              >> Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.
              >
              > Then you're too young to remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then
              > known as ARPAnet/Milnet.

              I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
              This was from late 1992 until about 1997.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                >On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote: >> yes,
                >thousands of them. They were emailed to>> >> hostmaster@....
                >I also registered two /16s (then called>> >> "Class-Bs" for the network
                >newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>> >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A
                >few of their staffers came to work for >>>> us (Digex) after NetSol went
                >commercial.> > ...and it ran on a >> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20. >>
                >>> The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of >>
                >Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4. > > Then you're too young to
                >remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then > known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                >
                > I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                >This was from late 1992 until about 1997.

                I thought the thread was waxing nostalgic re the internet.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                  On 10/03/2011 08:17 PM, system@... wrote:
                  > Dave McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:
                  >
                  >> On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote:>> yes,
                  >> thousands of them. They were emailed to>> >> hostmaster@....
                  >> I also registered two /16s (then called>> >> "Class-Bs" for the network
                  >> newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>> >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A
                  >> few of their staffers came to work for>>>> us (Digex) after NetSol went
                  >> commercial.> > ...and it ran on a>> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.>>
                  >> Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.> > Then you're too young to
                  >> remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then> known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                  >>
                  >> I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                  >> This was from late 1992 until about 1997.
                  >
                  > I thought the thread was waxing nostalgic re the internet.

                  It was. Bill asked if anyone remembered the old procedures, and I
                  did, so I related my experiences.

                  Dave McGuire
                  Port Charlotte, FL