Re: [midatlanticretro] "vintage" yahoo

  • telmnstr@757.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
      >> It won't be a big loss even if they buy it and chop it up; Yahoo! has
      >> been circling the drain for a while.
      >> -Dave

      Oddly, I find that Yahoo is one of the few companies I pay money to every
      year. I buy nothing from Google, and think that Google is hugely
      over-hyped.

      But I pay for flickr. I like it. I think Picasa is a turd. *Shrug*
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
        On 10/03/2011 12:01 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        >> It won't be a big loss even if they buy it and chop it up; Yahoo! has
        >> been circling the drain for a while.
        >
        > I remember when it was a big list web page of links (1994-95?). You used
        > to be able to send an email to someone who would insert your link for you.
        > I even had a phone number of a girl I knew there who could help me cut
        > through the red tape. That was all before the "add url" stuff. Eventually
        > I gave up thinking, geez it's taking two weeks to get my sites listed!

        And now the suits have moved in. :-(

        > While I am walking down vintage Internet lane, does anyone remember having
        > to submit domain registration requests using the old ACK text file system
        > of the Internic or whatever it was called?

        Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
        hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
        "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
        ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
        us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          > Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
          >hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
          >"Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
          >("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
          >us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.

          ...and it ran on a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
            On 10/03/2011 07:58 PM, system@... wrote:
            >> Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
            >> hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
            >> "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
            >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
            >> us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.
            >
            > ...and it ran on a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.

            The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
            Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              >On 10/03/2011 07:58 PM, system@... wrote: >> Oh
              >yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to >>
              >hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called >>
              >"Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s >>
              >("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
              >>> us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial. > > ...and it ran on a
              >DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
              >
              > The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
              >Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.

              Then you're too young to remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then
              known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote:
                >> yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to>>
                >> hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called>>
                >> "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>>
                >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
                >> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
                >>
                >> The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
                >> Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.
                >
                > Then you're too young to remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then
                > known as ARPAnet/Milnet.

                I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                This was from late 1992 until about 1997.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                  >On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote: >> yes,
                  >thousands of them. They were emailed to>> >> hostmaster@....
                  >I also registered two /16s (then called>> >> "Class-Bs" for the network
                  >newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>> >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A
                  >few of their staffers came to work for >>>> us (Digex) after NetSol went
                  >commercial.> > ...and it ran on a >> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20. >>
                  >>> The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of >>
                  >Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4. > > Then you're too young to
                  >remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then > known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                  >
                  > I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                  >This was from late 1992 until about 1997.

                  I thought the thread was waxing nostalgic re the internet.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                    On 10/03/2011 08:17 PM, system@... wrote:
                    > Dave McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:
                    >
                    >> On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote:>> yes,
                    >> thousands of them. They were emailed to>> >> hostmaster@....
                    >> I also registered two /16s (then called>> >> "Class-Bs" for the network
                    >> newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>> >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A
                    >> few of their staffers came to work for>>>> us (Digex) after NetSol went
                    >> commercial.> > ...and it ran on a>> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.>>
                    >> Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.> > Then you're too young to
                    >> remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then> known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                    >>
                    >> I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                    >> This was from late 1992 until about 1997.
                    >
                    > I thought the thread was waxing nostalgic re the internet.

                    It was. Bill asked if anyone remembered the old procedures, and I
                    did, so I related my experiences.

                    Dave McGuire
                    Port Charlotte, FL