"vintage" yahoo

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011

      > On 10/03/2011 10:30 AM, Dan Roganti wrote:
      > > uuhh-oohh.....
      > >
      > > Alibaba's CEO Jack Ma: "very interested" in buying Yahoo (Reuters)

      http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/tech/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/201110
      03/tc_nm/us_yahoo_alibaba

      > It won't be a big loss even if they buy it and chop it up; Yahoo! has

      > been circling the drain for a while.
      >
      > -Dave

      I remember when it was a big list web page of links (1994-95?). You used
      to be able to send an email to someone who would insert your link for you.
      I even had a phone number of a girl I knew there who could help me cut
      through the red tape. That was all before the "add url" stuff. Eventually
      I gave up thinking, geez it's taking two weeks to get my sites listed!

      While I am walking down vintage Internet lane, does anyone remember having
      to submit domain registration requests using the old ACK text file system
      of the Internic or whatever it was called?

      Bill
    • telmnstr@757.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
        >> It won't be a big loss even if they buy it and chop it up; Yahoo! has
        >> been circling the drain for a while.
        >> -Dave

        Oddly, I find that Yahoo is one of the few companies I pay money to every
        year. I buy nothing from Google, and think that Google is hugely
        over-hyped.

        But I pay for flickr. I like it. I think Picasa is a turd. *Shrug*
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
          On 10/03/2011 12:01 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          >> It won't be a big loss even if they buy it and chop it up; Yahoo! has
          >> been circling the drain for a while.
          >
          > I remember when it was a big list web page of links (1994-95?). You used
          > to be able to send an email to someone who would insert your link for you.
          > I even had a phone number of a girl I knew there who could help me cut
          > through the red tape. That was all before the "add url" stuff. Eventually
          > I gave up thinking, geez it's taking two weeks to get my sites listed!

          And now the suits have moved in. :-(

          > While I am walking down vintage Internet lane, does anyone remember having
          > to submit domain registration requests using the old ACK text file system
          > of the Internic or whatever it was called?

          Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
          hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
          "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
          ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
          us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            > Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
            >hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
            >"Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
            >("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
            >us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.

            ...and it ran on a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
              On 10/03/2011 07:58 PM, system@... wrote:
              >> Oh yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to
              >> hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called
              >> "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s
              >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
              >> us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial.
              >
              > ...and it ran on a DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.

              The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
              Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                >On 10/03/2011 07:58 PM, system@... wrote: >> Oh
                >yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to >>
                >hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called >>
                >"Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s >>
                >("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
                >>> us (Digex) after NetSol went commercial. > > ...and it ran on a
                >DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
                >
                > The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
                >Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.

                Then you're too young to remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then
                known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                  On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote:
                  >> yes, thousands of them. They were emailed to>>
                  >> hostmaster@.... I also registered two /16s (then called>>
                  >> "Class-Bs" for the network newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>>
                  >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A few of their staffers came to work for
                  >> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.
                  >>
                  >> The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of
                  >> Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.
                  >
                  > Then you're too young to remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then
                  > known as ARPAnet/Milnet.

                  I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                  This was from late 1992 until about 1997.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    >On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote: >> yes,
                    >thousands of them. They were emailed to>> >> hostmaster@....
                    >I also registered two /16s (then called>> >> "Class-Bs" for the network
                    >newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>> >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A
                    >few of their staffers came to work for >>>> us (Digex) after NetSol went
                    >commercial.> > ...and it ran on a >> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20. >>
                    >>> The domreg system? Not then it didn't. There were a couple of >>
                    >Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4. > > Then you're too young to
                    >remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then > known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                    >
                    > I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                    >This was from late 1992 until about 1997.

                    I thought the thread was waxing nostalgic re the internet.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
                      On 10/03/2011 08:17 PM, system@... wrote:
                      > Dave McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:
                      >
                      >> On 10/03/2011 08:11 PM, system@... wrote:>> yes,
                      >> thousands of them. They were emailed to>> >> hostmaster@....
                      >> I also registered two /16s (then called>> >> "Class-Bs" for the network
                      >> newbies here) and hundreds of /24s>> >> ("Class-Cs") via those folks. A
                      >> few of their staffers came to work for>>>> us (Digex) after NetSol went
                      >> commercial.> > ...and it ran on a>> DECsystem-20 running TOPS-20.>>
                      >> Sun4-690MP systems there, running SunOS4.> > Then you're too young to
                      >> remember. I cut my teeth on this thing then> known as ARPAnet/Milnet.
                      >>
                      >> I'm just talking about when I had contact with the InterNIC folk.
                      >> This was from late 1992 until about 1997.
                      >
                      > I thought the thread was waxing nostalgic re the internet.

                      It was. Bill asked if anyone remembered the old procedures, and I
                      did, so I related my experiences.

                      Dave McGuire
                      Port Charlotte, FL