RE: [midatlanticretro] Board Storage

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
      For the record...I store all of my important cards and boards in
      isolated anti-static 3M standard bags. I avoid stacking or stressing.
      The shoe tree I mentioned earlier is really just for supplies or
      temporary storage not for serious stuff.
      Bill

      At Friday, 03 February 2006, you wrote:

      >I apologize then. I got my info on the cardboard from a thread on the
      >ClassicCmp list. I also have an anti-static (grounded) mat on the
      top of my
      >workbench.
      >
      >I've also seen black ESD boxes in some catalogs which from the catalog
      look
      >like cardboard. What are these made of? What's a good (read: cheap)
      source
      >for them since I'm now paranoid about my current storage methods
      >(notwithstanding my track record of no problems).

      bubble
      >> wrap or cellular foam on the bottom (mostly for cushioning). Then,
      I put
      >> each board in an 8x10 anti-stat bag (bought on eBay).
      >>
      >> The stat bags are mostly to keep the boards dust-free and easily
      >> transportable. Cardboard is non-static by its nature. I would
      consider
      >> throwing some desiccant packs in the box, too. By the way, if
      anyone has a
      >> good source for desiccant packs, let me know.
      >
      >The problem with cardboard is that it's an insulator, which means it
      >DOES create static. Put two pieces of paper together and pull them
      apart...
      >static causes the cling. Any insulators that rub together create
      a static
      >charge.
      >
      >At my company, everyone has to go through ESD (Electro-static discharge)
      >training each year because we handle PC boards that cost $2500 each.
      We
      >get tested every year, and have to follow all the proper procedures:
      >conductive smocks, testing wrist-staps daily, no papers or other
      insulators
      >on workbenches, all PC boards must be in Faraday shields while being
      >transported, etc.
      >
      >The "anti static" bag is conductive; it forms a Faraday shield around
      the
      >objects inside. Once the bag is opened, you're at risk for a discharge.

      >Hey, Bob Grieb should be commenting on this! He's a professional
      Hardware
      >guy; I'm just an embedded software person.
      >
      >Bob

      -- E N D --
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
        Richard A. Cini <rcini@...> wrote :

        > I apologize then. I got my info on the cardboard from a thread on the
        > ClassicCmp list. I also have an anti-static (grounded) mat on the top of my
        > workbench.

        The ground is a good thing to have!

        > I've also seen black ESD boxes in some catalogs which from the catalog look
        > like cardboard. What are these made of? What's a good (read: cheap) source
        > for them since I'm now paranoid about my current storage methods
        > (notwithstanding my track record of no problems).

        Those are exactly what I was talking about. They're pretty light, and
        appear to be a conductive plastic of some sort, but I have no idea of
        who makes them. I can tell you who makes our development tools, ICEs,
        and JTAG programmers, but the ESD stuff is handled by a different
        department, and none of those folks appear to be on IM right now to ask.

        I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
        long before then.

        Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
        might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!

        Bob

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
          <snip>

          > I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
          > long before then.
          >
          > Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
          > might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!

          http://www.all-spec.com

          has multi cell Conductive Corrugated Containers. Price seems reasonable, but
          minimum purchase is 4 or more units (depends on the unit). Any other
          candidates?

          Kelly
        • Richard A. Cini
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
            Which item number are you looking at for S100 boards? How would you propose
            doing a group purchase? I have about 40 boards and you could probably put
            more than one board in each cell.

            > I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
            > long before then.
            >
            > Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
            > might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!

            http://www.all-spec.com

            has multi cell Conductive Corrugated Containers. Price seems reasonable, but
            minimum purchase is 4 or more units (depends on the unit). Any other
            candidates?

            Kelly

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Degnan
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
              You can count me in for one or two.
              Bill

              At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

              ><snip>
              >

              >> I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
              >> long before then.
              >>
              >> Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
              >> might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!
              >>

              >http://www.all-spec.com
              >
              >has multi cell Conductive Corrugated Containers. Price seems reasonable,
              but
              >minimum purchase is 4 or more units (depends on the unit). Any other
              >candidates?
              >
              >Kelly
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              -- E N D --
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                The boards I need to store are 10x6. Would this size fit for anyone else?

                Conductive Containers Inc. has 4 models that would work for this board size.
                The one I like is 10.75 x 7, with 30 cells.

                I have contacted a NJ based distributor to see how much for 4 or 5 of these.

                I'll let you know if/when they respond.

                Kelly

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                  Something that would fit say a IBM PC motherboard I estimate to be 20 x 16
                  would be more practical for me. Would that be a lot more expensive? Even
                  if some of the cards are smaller I have a need to store motherboards and
                  large cards as well as your smaller controllers.
                  Bill

                  At 04:42 PM 2/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                  >The boards I need to store are 10x6. Would this size fit for anyone else?
                  >
                  >Conductive Containers Inc. has 4 models that would work for this board size.
                  >The one I like is 10.75 x 7, with 30 cells.
                  >
                  >I have contacted a NJ based distributor to see how much for 4 or 5 of these.
                  >
                  >I'll let you know if/when they respond.
                  >
                  >Kelly

                • Richard A. Cini
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                    I'm looking for S100-size, which are around 10" wide and 6.5" high. So, the
                    one you picked for yourself would work for me too.

                    Rich

                    Something that would fit say a IBM PC motherboard I estimate to be 20 x 16
                    would be more practical for me. Would that be a lot more expensive? Even
                    if some of the cards are smaller I have a need to store motherboards and
                    large cards as well as your smaller controllers.
                    Bill

                    At 04:42 PM 2/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                    >The boards I need to store are 10x6. Would this size fit for anyone else?
                    >
                    >Conductive Containers Inc. has 4 models that would work for this board
                    size.
                    >The one I like is 10.75 x 7, with 30 cells.
                    >
                    >I have contacted a NJ based distributor to see how much for 4 or 5 of
                    these.

                    >I'll let you know if/when they respond.
                    >
                    >Kelly

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • John Allain
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                      >> I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
                      >> long before then.

                      I got this name http://www.uline.com
                      off of some antistatic bags I saved.
                      They have the semisilver bags everyone's familliar with, also soft
                      bubblecell
                      and ziplocking top options, probably many more. I thought ordering 100
                      was extravagant until I started using them for everything.
                      Time for me to order more. 100% satisfied.
                      http://www.uline.com/Class_21.asp?searchedkeywords=antistatic
                      They also have the pro boxes.

                      John A.
                      customer only, no other affiliation
                    • Bob Applegate
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 7, 2006
                        Okay, here at work we use ESD carriers ("totes") made by Lewisystems.  I did
                        a quick search and happened to find some guy selling used ones, and the
                        second picture shows more detail than all the dealer pages:

                        http://www.aa9tt.com/Fun_Stuff/Amplifiers/For_Sale/Equipment_Index/ESD_Board_Carriers_/esd_board_carriers_.html

                        You can clearly see the totes have slots in the side walls to hold dividers.  The
                        dividers have slots so they can be configured as-needed to fit whatever the board
                        dimensions happen to be.

                        These appear to be quite expensive new, so they're probably more than most people
                        want to spend on hobby projects.  However, they are very nice, stack well, can be
                        configured to hold many different board sizes, and are designed to provide a good
                        ESD shield around whatever is in them.  They're strong too... it's okay to pile them
                        on top of one another without worrying about crushing them.

                        Rubbermaid offers a series of ESB totes as well.  Here is a page selling them:

                        None of this stuff is cheap, but it's a much better way to store sensitive boards/components
                        for long-term use.  Of course, you also need to make sure your work area is grounded
                        properly, you follow decent ESD procedures when handling boards, etc.

                        73

                        Bob - K2UT

                        Bob Applegate
                        Senior Member Technical Staff