Re: [midatlanticretro] terminal 10

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
      Do we have a rack? If there is a chance to get a modern rack (HP or Dell), grab it! It will be useful for many years and simplify many things. A 1500va rack-mount UPS will also be good (to start). Once this system is racked up, it becomes easy to move on the rack's wheels.

      Jim

      On 10/2/2011 8:32 AM, B Degnan wrote:

      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      >I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use
      >PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running.
      >Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.
      >
      >A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move
      >into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use
      >something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same
      >with the server.
      >
      >Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe
      >two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing
      >their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.

      The switch is small relative to the server...2U...It will either sit on the server or a shelf nearby. I assume we'd not set up a rack. I kind of figured the whole thing would be in a separate room anyway but...?
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
        InfoAge has some empty racks here and there. I don't know the details But there is no room to put one in our current exhibit rooms.
      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
          I have a few old keyboards and machines with hard drives of 200M to 1G.  The machines
          can be used for simpler programs.
          bs

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 30, 2011
            If your looking for a ethernet switch I think I have a brand new 24 port switch. I'll try to drag it over next time I'm there.
            Evan W