Re: [midatlanticretro] terminal 10

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
      On Oct 2, 2011, at 1:18 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > <snip>

      > A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we
      > move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if
      > we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a
      > table. Same with the server.

      /<snip>

      It's true.. the switch I have is way overkill. However, it's
      available. But not forever. If I can't find a home for it fairly
      soon, it will most likely be sent to a landfill. If MARCH does not
      need it now, maybe a member would be willing to take it until such
      time as it could be used.

      In thinking about it further, I had several of these units at one
      time, and it's possible that I've already donated them (during my
      great garage and basement clean-out) prior to my move from NJ to PA.
      So, it's possible that these other units (identical models) are
      somewhere in a MARCH storage room. Maybe.

      73 de Ray
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        >I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use
        >PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running.
        >Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.
        >
        >A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move
        >into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use
        >something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same
        >with the server.
        >
        >Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe
        >two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing
        >their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.

        The switch is small relative to the server...2U...It will either sit on the server or a shelf nearby. I assume we'd not set up a rack. I kind of figured the whole thing would be in a separate room anyway but...?
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
          Do we have a rack? If there is a chance to get a modern rack (HP or Dell), grab it! It will be useful for many years and simplify many things. A 1500va rack-mount UPS will also be good (to start). Once this system is racked up, it becomes easy to move on the rack's wheels.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
            InfoAge has some empty racks here and there. I don't know the details But there is no room to put one in our current exhibit rooms.
          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
              I have a few old keyboards and machines with hard drives of 200M to 1G.  The machines
              can be used for simpler programs.
              bs

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 30, 2011
                If your looking for a ethernet switch I think I have a brand new 24 port switch. I'll try to drag it over next time I'm there.
                Evan W