Re: [midatlanticretro] terminal 10

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
      From: B Degnan
      Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 9:26 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] terminal 10

      >I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6 donated
      >pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone to write the
      >website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet cables.

      Infoage's Deconstruction lab has at least 6 PC's that can be donated for
      MARCH use. They are ready to go. They are for Infoage group use only. So we
      can use them. We just have to ask Dan Jacobs.

      Jeff3 Brace
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
        I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running. Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.

        A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same with the server.

        Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.
      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
          On Oct 2, 2011, at 1:18 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > <snip>

          > A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we
          > move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if
          > we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a
          > table. Same with the server.

          /<snip>

          It's true.. the switch I have is way overkill. However, it's
          available. But not forever. If I can't find a home for it fairly
          soon, it will most likely be sent to a landfill. If MARCH does not
          need it now, maybe a member would be willing to take it until such
          time as it could be used.

          In thinking about it further, I had several of these units at one
          time, and it's possible that I've already donated them (during my
          great garage and basement clean-out) prior to my move from NJ to PA.
          So, it's possible that these other units (identical models) are
          somewhere in a MARCH storage room. Maybe.

          73 de Ray
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
            Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

            >I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use
            >PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running.
            >Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.
            >
            >A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move
            >into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use
            >something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same
            >with the server.
            >
            >Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe
            >two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing
            >their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.

            The switch is small relative to the server...2U...It will either sit on the server or a shelf nearby. I assume we'd not set up a rack. I kind of figured the whole thing would be in a separate room anyway but...?
            --
            Sent from my PDP 8/e.
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
              Do we have a rack? If there is a chance to get a modern rack (HP or Dell), grab it! It will be useful for many years and simplify many things. A 1500va rack-mount UPS will also be good (to start). Once this system is racked up, it becomes easy to move on the rack's wheels.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                InfoAge has some empty racks here and there. I don't know the details But there is no room to put one in our current exhibit rooms.
              • Bob Schwier
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                  I have a few old keyboards and machines with hard drives of 200M to 1G.  The machines
                  can be used for simpler programs.
                  bs

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 30, 2011
                    If your looking for a ethernet switch I think I have a brand new 24 port switch. I'll try to drag it over next time I'm there.
                    Evan W