Re: [midatlanticretro] terminal 10

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
      On 09/30/2011 10:20 AM, B Degnan wrote:
      >> Duh, we knowz how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :)
      >
      > I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
      > going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
      > terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
      > take up valuable time.

      Vince Briel and Bob Armstrong have both done modern terminals, and
      I'm working on one as well. Stuff like this has the advantage of
      pulling very little power.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
        B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

        >At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards
        >>especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using >them. >
        >>Good point. > > >>> That said if you're keen on supporting a real
        >terminal network > it has to be something that can be supported by the
        >"local" MARCH > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we knowz
        >how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :) >
        >
        >I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
        >going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
        >terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
        >take up valuable time.

        What hassles?

        Back in the days, I had sites with literally 100s of terminals. Then,
        the only issue was keeping the cables all sorted from terminals to the
        systems. LAT, terminal servers, and ethernet greatly simplified that.

        As for modern terminals, I know a source for new VT series terminals.
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
          system@... wrote:

          >B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:
          >
          >>At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards
          >>>especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using >them.
          >>
          >>>Good point. > > >>> That said if you're keen on supporting a real
          >>terminal network > it has to be something that can be supported by the
          >>"local" MARCH > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we
          >knowz
          >>how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :) >
          >>
          >>I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
          >>going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
          >>terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
          >>take up valuable time.
          >
          >What hassles?
          >
          >Back in the days, I had sites with literally 100s of terminals. Then,
          >the only issue was keeping the cables all sorted from terminals to the
          >systems. LAT, terminal servers, and ethernet greatly simplified that.
          >
          >As for modern terminals, I know a source for new VT series terminals.

          Can you supply 6 terminals and set up the network machine for the infoage display so that staff can host an interactive exhibit?

          We have on this list been talking about setting up a terminal network for years...if it's so easy to setup and support why don't we have one?

          I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6 donated pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone to write the website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet cables.
          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
            B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

            >system@... wrote:
            >
            >>B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:=20 > >>At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011,
            >you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards >>>especially need to be
            >disposable, as the public will be using >them. >> >>>Good point. > > >>>
            >That said if you're keen on supporting a real >>terminal network > it
            >has to be something that can be supported by the >>"local" MARCH > team
            >- Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we >knowz >>how 2 work
            >komputer too, Bill? :) >=20 >> >>I am talking about the hassle of
            >constantly having to keep everything >>going in a vintage terminal
            >environment. Or do you know of modern >>terminals that are not vintage?
            > I want to avoid hardware issues that >>take up valuable time.=20 >
            >>What hassles?=20=20 > >Back in the days, I had sites with literally
            >100s of terminals. Then, >the only issue was keeping the cables all
            >sorted from terminals to the >systems. LAT, terminal servers, and
            >ethernet greatly simplified that. > >As for modern terminals, I know a
            >source for new VT series terminals. > >
            >>------------------------------------ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > Can
            >you supply 6 terminals and set up the network machine for the infoage d=
            >isplay so that staff can host an interactive exhibit?
            >
            >We have on this list been talking about setting up a terminal network
            >for y= ears...if it's so easy to setup and support why don't we have
            >one?
            >
            >I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6
            >donate= d pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone
            >to write t= he website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet
            >cables. --=20 Sent from my PDP 8/e.

            PCs? I thought you wanted terminals?
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running. Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.

                A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same with the server.

                Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.
              • Ray Sills
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                  On Oct 2, 2011, at 1:18 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > <snip>

                  > A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we
                  > move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if
                  > we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a
                  > table. Same with the server.

                  /<snip>

                  It's true.. the switch I have is way overkill. However, it's
                  available. But not forever. If I can't find a home for it fairly
                  soon, it will most likely be sent to a landfill. If MARCH does not
                  need it now, maybe a member would be willing to take it until such
                  time as it could be used.

                  In thinking about it further, I had several of these units at one
                  time, and it's possible that I've already donated them (during my
                  great garage and basement clean-out) prior to my move from NJ to PA.
                  So, it's possible that these other units (identical models) are
                  somewhere in a MARCH storage room. Maybe.

                  73 de Ray
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    >I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use
                    >PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running.
                    >Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.
                    >
                    >A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move
                    >into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use
                    >something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same
                    >with the server.
                    >
                    >Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe
                    >two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing
                    >their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.

                    The switch is small relative to the server...2U...It will either sit on the server or a shelf nearby. I assume we'd not set up a rack. I kind of figured the whole thing would be in a separate room anyway but...?
                    --
                    Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                      Do we have a rack? If there is a chance to get a modern rack (HP or Dell), grab it! It will be useful for many years and simplify many things. A 1500va rack-mount UPS will also be good (to start). Once this system is racked up, it becomes easy to move on the rack's wheels.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                        InfoAge has some empty racks here and there. I don't know the details But there is no room to put one in our current exhibit rooms.
                      • Bob Schwier
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                          I have a few old keyboards and machines with hard drives of 200M to 1G.  The machines
                          can be used for simpler programs.
                          bs

                          >>At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards
                          >>>especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using >them.
                          >>
                          >>>Good point. > > >>> That said if you're keen on supporting a real
                          >>terminal network > it has to be something that can be supported by the
                          >>"local" MARCH > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we
                          >knowz
                          >>how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :) >
                          >>
                          >>I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
                          >>going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
                          >>terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
                          >>take up valuable time.
                          >
                          >What hassles?
                          >
                          >Back in the days, I had sites with literally 100s of terminals. Then,
                          >the only issue was keeping the cables all sorted from terminals to the
                          >systems. LAT, terminal servers, and ethernet greatly simplified that.
                          >
                          >As for modern terminals, I know a source for new VT series terminals.

                          Can you supply 6 terminals and set up the network machine for the infoage display so that staff can host an interactive exhibit?

                          We have on this list been talking about setting up a terminal network for years...if it's so easy to setup and support why don't we have one?

                          I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6 donated pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone to write the website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet cables.
                          --
                          Sent from my PDP 8/e.

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 30, 2011
                            If your looking for a ethernet switch I think I have a brand new 24 port switch. I'll try to drag it over next time I'm there.
                            Evan W