Re: [midatlanticretro] terminal 10

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
      If Evan decides to still go the serial terminal route on this server, I do have one of those large ISA cards that supports up to 8 terminals, if interested I'll see if it has the "octopus" breakout cable.

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 30, 2011, at 9:21 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      At 09:13 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote:
      > communications. It works now, all you have to do is get an
      > ethernet switch, cat5 cables. Then each PC
      >
      >I'm of two minds about this. Using PCs for the info kiosks is easy.
      >But it would be great if we can use vintage terminals.

      I agree...a terminal system would be ideal, but we can make the web
      site look and act like a terminal. The computers/keyboards
      especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using
      them. From a support standpoint all one would have to do is turn on
      the server and the PC to activate.

      That said if you're keen on supporting a real terminal network it has
      to be something that can be supported by the "local" MARCH team -
      Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right?

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
        At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote:
        >especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using
        >them.
        >
        >Good point.

        > it has to be something that can be supported by the "local" MARCH
        > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right?
        >
        >Duh, we knowz how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :)

        I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
        going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
        terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
        take up valuable time.

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
          On 09/30/2011 09:13 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > I'm of two minds about this. Using PCs for the info kiosks is easy.
          > But it would be great if we can use vintage terminals.

          Running vintage equipment for that many hours is really not a good
          idea IMO, electronics-wise, even if it would be awesome.

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
            On 09/30/2011 10:20 AM, B Degnan wrote:
            >> Duh, we knowz how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :)
            >
            > I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
            > going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
            > terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
            > take up valuable time.

            Vince Briel and Bob Armstrong have both done modern terminals, and
            I'm working on one as well. Stuff like this has the advantage of
            pulling very little power.

            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
              B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

              >At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards
              >>especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using >them. >
              >>Good point. > > >>> That said if you're keen on supporting a real
              >terminal network > it has to be something that can be supported by the
              >"local" MARCH > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we knowz
              >how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :) >
              >
              >I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
              >going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
              >terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
              >take up valuable time.

              What hassles?

              Back in the days, I had sites with literally 100s of terminals. Then,
              the only issue was keeping the cables all sorted from terminals to the
              systems. LAT, terminal servers, and ethernet greatly simplified that.

              As for modern terminals, I know a source for new VT series terminals.
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                system@... wrote:

                >B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:
                >
                >>At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards
                >>>especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using >them.
                >>
                >>>Good point. > > >>> That said if you're keen on supporting a real
                >>terminal network > it has to be something that can be supported by the
                >>"local" MARCH > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we
                >knowz
                >>how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :) >
                >>
                >>I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
                >>going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
                >>terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
                >>take up valuable time.
                >
                >What hassles?
                >
                >Back in the days, I had sites with literally 100s of terminals. Then,
                >the only issue was keeping the cables all sorted from terminals to the
                >systems. LAT, terminal servers, and ethernet greatly simplified that.
                >
                >As for modern terminals, I know a source for new VT series terminals.

                Can you supply 6 terminals and set up the network machine for the infoage display so that staff can host an interactive exhibit?

                We have on this list been talking about setting up a terminal network for years...if it's so easy to setup and support why don't we have one?

                I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6 donated pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone to write the website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet cables.
                --
                Sent from my PDP 8/e.
              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                  B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                  >system@... wrote:
                  >
                  >>B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:=20 > >>At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011,
                  >you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards >>>especially need to be
                  >disposable, as the public will be using >them. >> >>>Good point. > > >>>
                  >That said if you're keen on supporting a real >>terminal network > it
                  >has to be something that can be supported by the >>"local" MARCH > team
                  >- Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we >knowz >>how 2 work
                  >komputer too, Bill? :) >=20 >> >>I am talking about the hassle of
                  >constantly having to keep everything >>going in a vintage terminal
                  >environment. Or do you know of modern >>terminals that are not vintage?
                  > I want to avoid hardware issues that >>take up valuable time.=20 >
                  >>What hassles?=20=20 > >Back in the days, I had sites with literally
                  >100s of terminals. Then, >the only issue was keeping the cables all
                  >sorted from terminals to the >systems. LAT, terminal servers, and
                  >ethernet greatly simplified that. > >As for modern terminals, I know a
                  >source for new VT series terminals. > >
                  >>------------------------------------ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > Can
                  >you supply 6 terminals and set up the network machine for the infoage d=
                  >isplay so that staff can host an interactive exhibit?
                  >
                  >We have on this list been talking about setting up a terminal network
                  >for y= ears...if it's so easy to setup and support why don't we have
                  >one?
                  >
                  >I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6
                  >donate= d pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone
                  >to write t= he website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet
                  >cables. --=20 Sent from my PDP 8/e.

                  PCs? I thought you wanted terminals?
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                      I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running. Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.

                      A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same with the server.

                      Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.
                    • Ray Sills
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                        On Oct 2, 2011, at 1:18 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > <snip>

                        > A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we
                        > move into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if
                        > we use something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a
                        > table. Same with the server.

                        /<snip>

                        It's true.. the switch I have is way overkill. However, it's
                        available. But not forever. If I can't find a home for it fairly
                        soon, it will most likely be sent to a landfill. If MARCH does not
                        need it now, maybe a member would be willing to take it until such
                        time as it could be used.

                        In thinking about it further, I had several of these units at one
                        time, and it's possible that I've already donated them (during my
                        great garage and basement clean-out) prior to my move from NJ to PA.
                        So, it's possible that these other units (identical models) are
                        somewhere in a MARCH storage room. Maybe.

                        73 de Ray
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                          Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                          >I think we should take Bill's advice of using both systems. We can use
                          >PCs to start, and gradually switch to terminals as we get them running.
                          >Also, Bill's server will enable our eventual BBS exhibit.
                          >
                          >A rack-mount network switch is overkill for now. Someday when we move
                          >into the H-buildings we'll need all those ports. For now, if we use
                          >something of that size, we'll have to tuck it away under a table. Same
                          >with the server.
                          >
                          >Another thing we could do after the big move (probably in a year, maybe
                          >two) is place the server next to the UNIVAC and make a poster comparing
                          >their size, weight, cost, speed, storage, memory, etc.

                          The switch is small relative to the server...2U...It will either sit on the server or a shelf nearby. I assume we'd not set up a rack. I kind of figured the whole thing would be in a separate room anyway but...?
                          --
                          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                            Do we have a rack? If there is a chance to get a modern rack (HP or Dell), grab it! It will be useful for many years and simplify many things. A 1500va rack-mount UPS will also be good (to start). Once this system is racked up, it becomes easy to move on the rack's wheels.

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 2, 2011
                              InfoAge has some empty racks here and there. I don't know the details But there is no room to put one in our current exhibit rooms.
                            • Bob Schwier
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                                I have a few old keyboards and machines with hard drives of 200M to 1G.  The machines
                                can be used for simpler programs.
                                bs

                                >>At 09:37 AM 9/30/2011, you wrote: > >>>T he computers/keyboards
                                >>>especially need to be disposable, as the public will be using >them.
                                >>
                                >>>Good point. > > >>> That said if you're keen on supporting a real
                                >>terminal network > it has to be something that can be supported by the
                                >>"local" MARCH > team - Evan, Jeff, Jeff, Jeff - right? > >Duh, we
                                >knowz
                                >>how 2 work komputer too, Bill? :) >
                                >>
                                >>I am talking about the hassle of constantly having to keep everything
                                >>going in a vintage terminal environment. Or do you know of modern
                                >>terminals that are not vintage? I want to avoid hardware issues that
                                >>take up valuable time.
                                >
                                >What hassles?
                                >
                                >Back in the days, I had sites with literally 100s of terminals. Then,
                                >the only issue was keeping the cables all sorted from terminals to the
                                >systems. LAT, terminal servers, and ethernet greatly simplified that.
                                >
                                >As for modern terminals, I know a source for new VT series terminals.

                                Can you supply 6 terminals and set up the network machine for the infoage display so that staff can host an interactive exhibit?

                                We have on this list been talking about setting up a terminal network for years...if it's so easy to setup and support why don't we have one?

                                I have the server and it's ready to be installed. All we need are 6 donated pc's capable of tcpip communications with a server and someone to write the website. We also need a 8 port switch and ethernet cables.
                                --
                                Sent from my PDP 8/e.

                              • Evan
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 30, 2011
                                  If your looking for a ethernet switch I think I have a brand new 24 port switch. I'll try to drag it over next time I'm there.
                                  Evan W