terminal kiosk

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2011
      as a follow up - I say go ahead and make a terminal-based network set
      up too, We can have one PC per room, but we can also have a nice
      terminal demo set up as well. I say we do both. As far as the
      server I am have to donate; using this to drive a set of serial
      terminals would be the equivalent of hitching a horse to a already
      operational car.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
        I don't understand why you insist on making the wrong part so complicated. The first thing to do is write the web site - that's the hard part. I did a demo well over a year ago; http://home.telemarksys.com/march will get you there. The point of this is not the content but to view it using Lynx to get the effect of a text terminal.

        The website content is the hard part. That's the place to start. Get some content going. The server will be easy once you have something to serve.

        Linux (or FreeBSD/NetBSD, but I suggest Linux) with the terminal server project (ltsp.org) installed will host the website as well as drive PCs as thin clients or fat clients, and/or serial terminals either on a network or on RS-232. I thought you had a server PC with a many-port serial card.

        Bill D. is correct that PCs will be more straight-forward to implement than serial terminals and probably less expensive. If you want a "green screen experience" then you need to use Lynx (or Links) as the browser on the PCs to get that terminal effect. The cursor positioning in Lynx might be difficult with older terminals. Vaxman may have some guidance on this. Bill is also correct that doing PC-based "pretend terminals" as the clients does not preclude using serial terminals later with no change to the website so long as you code the website using all text.

        Jim