MARCH / EFF event

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2011
      Another community-spirit opportunity .... the Electronic Frontier
      Foundation is participating in an event next month for the 25th
      anniversary of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, and they
      emailed some people including curators at the (California) Computer
      History Museum, asking if they could borrow some mid-1980s computers for
      a display about where computing stood when the act was made. Their goal
      is to show people how outdated the law is. CHM referred them to us,
      because the event is in Washington. I don't know the details yet, except
      that the event is being run not only by the EFF but also by some
      Libertarian groups, so we wouldn't have to worry about MARCH being
      accused of taking political sides. :)

      (Who am I kidding? We all love the EFF. Long live RMS!)

      Anyway .... when I know more, then I'll see what MARCH can lend them,
      and I might contact some of our southern members for help.

      While we're at it, perhaps Stallman could give a history-centric VCF
      talk. But it might be difficult to keep it non-political.
    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2011
        > Another community-spirit opportunity .... the Electronic Frontier
        > Foundation is participating in an event next month for the 25th
        > anniversary of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act

        I didn't know to ask about that during last Wednesday's NJ Linux meeting: an EFF advocate was there.

        But there are new technical difficulties: the NJ Linux group
        http://njlinux.org/
        is seeking a new place in central/northern NJ to meet since they just lost use of their current space at Kean University
        http://www.convergenj.com/

        Infoage is just too far south for most members.
        NJIT is in Newark: we want our cars undamaged when we return
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2011
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz<evan@...> wrote:
          >> Another community-spirit opportunity .... the Electronic Frontier Foundation is participating in an event next month for the 25th anniversary of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
          > I didn't know to ask about that during last Wednesday's NJ Linux meeting: an EFF advocate was there.
          >
          > But there are new technical difficulties: the NJ Linux group
          > http://njlinux.org/
          > is seeking a new place in central/northern NJ to meet since they just lost use of their current space at Kean University
          > http://www.convergenj.com/

          That's a shame. What happened to their access to the space?