Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH IMSAI almost ready for sale

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

      On Sep 28, 2011 1:30 PM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > We're getting an IMSAI ready for sale to MARCH members only. If you're
      > interested in the sale, stay tuned!  We have a system that needs some front
      > panel work, and we're trying to decide if it'd be better to leave as-is and
      > sell at a lower price, or attempt to restore it fully and sell for a higher
      > price.  Anyone have an opinion?  Would you rather have a non-working
      > original CPU card (8080) or a working replacement Z80 CPU card?

      Um, and why isn't the 8080 CPU card fixed. Nobody around there ? I'll fix that blindfolded. Send it here, I'll do it pro bono, we have a bigger Lab space now to attack all sorts of problems now.

      > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI?  I have my opinion but I would be
      > interested in yours.

      Definitely the front panel - you want that working
      And what is wrong with the front panel ?
      Bill, might as well tear it apart and send that here for repair too. I showed you plenty of times how to do that, no time to yammer about it.

      =Dan

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

        > Um, and why isn't the 8080 CPU card fixed. Nobody around there ? I'll
        fix
        > that blindfolded. Send it here, I'll do it pro bono, we have a bigger
        Lab
        > space now to attack all sorts of problems now.
        >
        > > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI? I have my opinion but I would
        be
        > > interested in yours.
        >
        > Definitely the front panel - you want that working
        > And what is wrong with the front panel ?
        > Bill, might as well tear it apart and send that here for repair too. I
        > showed you plenty of times how to do that, no time to yammer about it.
        >
        > =Dan

        Dan,
        Give me a chance, I only worked on it for one evening! I was just
        reporting on the status as of today.

        What we are discussing is whether it's better to sell NOW (for cheaper and
        let the buyer do the fixing), or wait until I or you or someone else gets
        the thing running fully first and then sell it more or less working.

        If you must know, the 7 column data bit always goes high when you deposit
        something into memory even if the paddle is in the down position. If you
        try for example to set 00 into address location C000, 80 is the value
        saved. (1000 0000). I tried a few working memory cards, it's not the
        RAM. BUT I have just started I really have no specific cause / explanation
        for this. I am also not as good as you or Bob, Bill S, Herb, Jon, etc.
        What I would do is compare and contrast this IMSAI with a working one one
        chip at a time. There may be an easier way. I have taken apart the front
        panel of other systems a few times, so I know about the little risers and
        all.

        Bill
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
          --- On Wed, 9/28/11, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > What we are discussing is whether it's better to sell NOW
          > (for cheaper and
          > let the buyer do the fixing), or wait until I or you or
          > someone else gets
          > the thing running fully first and then sell it more or less
          > working.

          I think the selling it as-is is preferable. Half the fun of this hobby is diagnosing and fixing things, and the IMSAI is a joy to work on. It's fairly simple, well documented, and the front panel makes manually entering commands fun and easy. I had a great time getting mine working when I got it. Of course, something else broke a few months later and I haven't gotten to it yet - but I look forward to the debugging.

          -Ian