Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH IMSAI almost ready for sale

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
      >>> the highest bid is still a big factor here.

      True. :)

      >>> No essay contest

      That was a metaphor.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

        On Sep 28, 2011 1:30 PM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > We're getting an IMSAI ready for sale to MARCH members only. If you're
        > interested in the sale, stay tuned!  We have a system that needs some front
        > panel work, and we're trying to decide if it'd be better to leave as-is and
        > sell at a lower price, or attempt to restore it fully and sell for a higher
        > price.  Anyone have an opinion?  Would you rather have a non-working
        > original CPU card (8080) or a working replacement Z80 CPU card?

        Um, and why isn't the 8080 CPU card fixed. Nobody around there ? I'll fix that blindfolded. Send it here, I'll do it pro bono, we have a bigger Lab space now to attack all sorts of problems now.

        > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI?  I have my opinion but I would be
        > interested in yours.

        Definitely the front panel - you want that working
        And what is wrong with the front panel ?
        Bill, might as well tear it apart and send that here for repair too. I showed you plenty of times how to do that, no time to yammer about it.

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

          > Um, and why isn't the 8080 CPU card fixed. Nobody around there ? I'll
          fix
          > that blindfolded. Send it here, I'll do it pro bono, we have a bigger
          Lab
          > space now to attack all sorts of problems now.
          >
          > > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI? I have my opinion but I would
          be
          > > interested in yours.
          >
          > Definitely the front panel - you want that working
          > And what is wrong with the front panel ?
          > Bill, might as well tear it apart and send that here for repair too. I
          > showed you plenty of times how to do that, no time to yammer about it.
          >
          > =Dan

          Dan,
          Give me a chance, I only worked on it for one evening! I was just
          reporting on the status as of today.

          What we are discussing is whether it's better to sell NOW (for cheaper and
          let the buyer do the fixing), or wait until I or you or someone else gets
          the thing running fully first and then sell it more or less working.

          If you must know, the 7 column data bit always goes high when you deposit
          something into memory even if the paddle is in the down position. If you
          try for example to set 00 into address location C000, 80 is the value
          saved. (1000 0000). I tried a few working memory cards, it's not the
          RAM. BUT I have just started I really have no specific cause / explanation
          for this. I am also not as good as you or Bob, Bill S, Herb, Jon, etc.
          What I would do is compare and contrast this IMSAI with a working one one
          chip at a time. There may be an easier way. I have taken apart the front
          panel of other systems a few times, so I know about the little risers and
          all.

          Bill
        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
            --- On Wed, 9/28/11, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > What we are discussing is whether it's better to sell NOW
            > (for cheaper and
            > let the buyer do the fixing), or wait until I or you or
            > someone else gets
            > the thing running fully first and then sell it more or less
            > working.

            I think the selling it as-is is preferable. Half the fun of this hobby is diagnosing and fixing things, and the IMSAI is a joy to work on. It's fairly simple, well documented, and the front panel makes manually entering commands fun and easy. I had a great time getting mine working when I got it. Of course, something else broke a few months later and I haven't gotten to it yet - but I look forward to the debugging.

            -Ian