MARCH IMSAI almost ready for sale

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
      We're getting an IMSAI ready for sale to MARCH members only. If you're
      interested in the sale, stay tuned! We have a system that needs some front
      panel work, and we're trying to decide if it'd be better to leave as-is and
      sell at a lower price, or attempt to restore it fully and sell for a higher
      price. Anyone have an opinion? Would you rather have a non-working
      original CPU card (8080) or a working replacement Z80 CPU card?

      In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI? I have my opinion but I would be
      interested in yours.

      Bill Degnan
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
        > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI? I have my opinion but I would be
        > interested in yours.

        The front panel. It makes it instantly recognizable as an IMSAI.

        Since S-100 systems were very much bits n' pieces from different
        manufacturers back then, the guts didn't matter too much. Later cards
        make it a faster and better machine, assuming they weren't poorly
        designed. Given the choice, I'd always opt for a Z80.

        Just my two cents.
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
          I would want anything that would make it cheaper for me to buy..

          Seriously though.. I would think the original card..

          You can buy a Z80 card to upgrade later on, but to have the original one would be better
        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
            "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> writes:

            >--sTDXhf7xj5xObTAa4n69laKiUSKcxQJgAJUa4b7 Content-Type: text/plain;
            >charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
            >
            >> In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI? I have my opinion but I
            >would be > interested in yours.
            >
            >The front panel. It makes it instantly recognizable as an IMSAI.
            >
            >Since S-100 systems were very much bits n' pieces from different
            >manufacturers back then, the guts didn't matter too much. Later cards
            >make it a faster and better machine, assuming they weren't poorly
            >designed. Given the choice, I'd always opt for a Z80.
            >
            >Just my two cents.

            As long as it can play Global Thermonuclear War, what's the diff?
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
              Building on what Bill said .... we are leaning toward giving the buyer their choice of the more historic but in need of repair 8080 card, or the working Z80 card.

              We'll include a working memory card.

              We are also considering, in addition to monetary bids, that it might be appropriate for MARCH officers to judge which bidders would be the "best home" for the computer. For example, we want to know that bidders either have the skills or are capable of getting the skills to restore the computer; that it's not someone who already has one or two; that it's someone who truly needs the lower prices we're expecting; that the winner won't just flip it for a profit; and that it's not going to a lurker bur rather an involved club member.

              Another of thinking about it: we'd like to see bidders submit proposals about why they deserve the computer and what they plan to do with it. Then we'll decide who gets it. If we only cared about the money then we'd just eBay it (like the last one, for which we had to maximize the revenue for the benefactor.) That's not the case this time.

              Those are ideas, not yet decisions. Feedback (public or private) is welcome.
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

                > Another of thinking about it: we'd like to see bidders submit proposals
                about why they deserve the computer and what they plan to do with it. Then
                we'll decide who gets it. If we only cared about the money then we'd just
                eBay it (like the last one, for which we had to maximize the revenue for
                the benefactor.) That's not the case this time.

                We don't want to be overbearing judges of who is most worthy of the IMSAI,
                the highest bid is still a big factor here. It's just that all other
                factors being equal, we're going to lean towards the person who has donated
                their time and energy to the club/museum/events. No essay contest,
                please!

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
                  >>> the highest bid is still a big factor here.

                  True. :)

                  >>> No essay contest

                  That was a metaphor.
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

                    On Sep 28, 2011 1:30 PM, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > We're getting an IMSAI ready for sale to MARCH members only. If you're
                    > interested in the sale, stay tuned!  We have a system that needs some front
                    > panel work, and we're trying to decide if it'd be better to leave as-is and
                    > sell at a lower price, or attempt to restore it fully and sell for a higher
                    > price.  Anyone have an opinion?  Would you rather have a non-working
                    > original CPU card (8080) or a working replacement Z80 CPU card?

                    Um, and why isn't the 8080 CPU card fixed. Nobody around there ? I'll fix that blindfolded. Send it here, I'll do it pro bono, we have a bigger Lab space now to attack all sorts of problems now.

                    > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI?  I have my opinion but I would be
                    > interested in yours.

                    Definitely the front panel - you want that working
                    And what is wrong with the front panel ?
                    Bill, might as well tear it apart and send that here for repair too. I showed you plenty of times how to do that, no time to yammer about it.

                    =Dan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011

                      > Um, and why isn't the 8080 CPU card fixed. Nobody around there ? I'll
                      fix
                      > that blindfolded. Send it here, I'll do it pro bono, we have a bigger
                      Lab
                      > space now to attack all sorts of problems now.
                      >
                      > > In short, what makes an IMSAI and IMSAI? I have my opinion but I would
                      be
                      > > interested in yours.
                      >
                      > Definitely the front panel - you want that working
                      > And what is wrong with the front panel ?
                      > Bill, might as well tear it apart and send that here for repair too. I
                      > showed you plenty of times how to do that, no time to yammer about it.
                      >
                      > =Dan

                      Dan,
                      Give me a chance, I only worked on it for one evening! I was just
                      reporting on the status as of today.

                      What we are discussing is whether it's better to sell NOW (for cheaper and
                      let the buyer do the fixing), or wait until I or you or someone else gets
                      the thing running fully first and then sell it more or less working.

                      If you must know, the 7 column data bit always goes high when you deposit
                      something into memory even if the paddle is in the down position. If you
                      try for example to set 00 into address location C000, 80 is the value
                      saved. (1000 0000). I tried a few working memory cards, it's not the
                      RAM. BUT I have just started I really have no specific cause / explanation
                      for this. I am also not as good as you or Bob, Bill S, Herb, Jon, etc.
                      What I would do is compare and contrast this IMSAI with a working one one
                      chip at a time. There may be an easier way. I have taken apart the front
                      panel of other systems a few times, so I know about the little risers and
                      all.

                      Bill
                    • Mr Ian Primus
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 28, 2011
                        --- On Wed, 9/28/11, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                        > What we are discussing is whether it's better to sell NOW
                        > (for cheaper and
                        > let the buyer do the fixing), or wait until I or you or
                        > someone else gets
                        > the thing running fully first and then sell it more or less
                        > working.

                        I think the selling it as-is is preferable. Half the fun of this hobby is diagnosing and fixing things, and the IMSAI is a joy to work on. It's fairly simple, well documented, and the front panel makes manually entering commands fun and easy. I had a great time getting mine working when I got it. Of course, something else broke a few months later and I haven't gotten to it yet - but I look forward to the debugging.

                        -Ian