Re: [midatlanticretro] 8080B chip

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
      On 09/26/2011 08:40 PM, B Degnan wrote:
      >> wrapped
      >>>
      >>> What do you suppose MARCH's 6501 chip is worth?
      >>
      >> I think, with stuff as rare as the 6501 and the aforementioned
      >> C8080B, it's impossible to come up with a price without actually
      >> putting
      >> it out for the market to decide.
      >
      > Not necessarily. there is a whole chip scene with very knowledgeable people.

      Of course. But that doesn't mean they (or anyone else) can establish
      a dollar value for something. Ultimately (the curmudgeons on classiccmp
      notwithstanding) the value is established by the buyers in the market.
      If there's only one buyer, that's not a whole lot of data points, and
      there's no history.

      Even in the heyday of the 8080 in the hotbed of CP/M activity in NJ
      when I was growing up, with all of those hardcore hackers doing
      everything they could to their systems, I've seen precisely ONE 8080B,
      and never a 6501. There will never be enough data points to come up
      with a "this is worth $X" number in any general sense.

      Everything that is truly rare (not "eBay rare") has this problem,
      which is one reason why auctions still exist.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL