Re: [midatlanticretro] Board Storage

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
      I bought a cloth shoe tree..pretty lame acutally, but it is what
      it is for now (http://www.vintagecomputer.net/pictures/P1010002.JPG).
      I could use some help in that department as well.

      At Friday, 3 February 2006, you wrote:

      >I need some ideas for storing the "spare" circuit boards around here.
      >They're all different sizes and shapes. Most are close to S-100
      in size.
      >Some a lot smaller, a few about double in size. Any suggestions
      on safe,
      >static free storage and stacking?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Kelly
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      -- E N D --
    • Richard A. Cini
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
        What I do is collect various cardboard boxes from my eBay, Amazon, and
        Digi-Key purchases and use them. I put a layer of anti-stat (pink) bubble
        wrap or cellular foam on the bottom (mostly for cushioning). Then, I put
        each board in an 8x10 anti-stat bag (bought on eBay).

        The stat bags are mostly to keep the boards dust-free and easily
        transportable. Cardboard is non-static by its nature. I would consider
        throwing some desiccant packs in the box, too. By the way, if anyone has a
        good source for desiccant packs, let me know.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
          Kelly Leavitt wrote:

          >I need some ideas for storing the "spare" circuit boards around here.
          >They're all different sizes and shapes. Most are close to S-100 in size.
          >Some a lot smaller, a few about double in size. Any suggestions on safe,
          >static free storage and stacking?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Kelly

          As far as keeping things static free, for cards I usually use either old
          anti-static bags or aluminum foil.
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
            Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

            > I bought a cloth shoe tree..pretty lame acutally, but it is what
            > it is for now (http://www.vintagecomputer.net/pictures/P1010002.JPG).
            > I could use some help in that department as well.
            >
            > At Friday, 3 February 2006, you wrote:
            >
            >>I need some ideas for storing the "spare" circuit boards around
            > here.
            >>They're all different sizes and shapes. Most are close to S-100
            > in size.
            >>Some a lot smaller, a few about double in size. Any suggestions
            > on safe,
            >>static free storage and stacking?

            Invest in REAL anti-static packaging. They stack well, have adjustable
            spacers to adapt to the board sizes, etc. If you care enough to own it,
            care enough to store it in a conductive box approved for ESD applications.

            One static zap can make a real mess of your collection real fast.

            Bob

            ___________________________________
            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
              Richard A. Cini <rcini@...> wrote :

              > What I do is collect various cardboard boxes from my eBay, Amazon, and
              > Digi-Key purchases and use them. I put a layer of anti-stat (pink) bubble
              > wrap or cellular foam on the bottom (mostly for cushioning). Then, I put
              > each board in an 8x10 anti-stat bag (bought on eBay).
              >
              > The stat bags are mostly to keep the boards dust-free and easily
              > transportable. Cardboard is non-static by its nature. I would consider
              > throwing some desiccant packs in the box, too. By the way, if anyone has a
              > good source for desiccant packs, let me know.

              The problem with cardboard is that it's an insulator, which means it
              DOES create static. Put two pieces of paper together and pull them apart...
              static causes the cling. Any insulators that rub together create a static
              charge.

              At my company, everyone has to go through ESD (Electro-static discharge)
              training each year because we handle PC boards that cost $2500 each. We
              get tested every year, and have to follow all the proper procedures:
              conductive smocks, testing wrist-staps daily, no papers or other insulators
              on workbenches, all PC boards must be in Faraday shields while being
              transported, etc.

              The "anti static" bag is conductive; it forms a Faraday shield around the
              objects inside. Once the bag is opened, you're at risk for a discharge.

              Hey, Bob Grieb should be commenting on this! He's a professional Hardware
              guy; I'm just an embedded software person.

              Bob

              ___________________________________
              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006

                Know any good suppliers or manufacturers? I'll try ebay, but a name would
                help.

                Thanks,
                Kelly
              • Richard A. Cini
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                  I apologize then. I got my info on the cardboard from a thread on the
                  ClassicCmp list. I also have an anti-static (grounded) mat on the top of my
                  workbench.

                  I've also seen black ESD boxes in some catalogs which from the catalog look
                  like cardboard. What are these made of? What's a good (read: cheap) source
                  for them since I'm now paranoid about my current storage methods
                  (notwithstanding my track record of no problems).

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                    For the record...I store all of my important cards and boards in
                    isolated anti-static 3M standard bags. I avoid stacking or stressing.
                    The shoe tree I mentioned earlier is really just for supplies or
                    temporary storage not for serious stuff.
                    Bill

                    -- E N D --
                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Richard A. Cini <rcini@...> wrote :

                      > I apologize then. I got my info on the cardboard from a thread on the
                      > ClassicCmp list. I also have an anti-static (grounded) mat on the top of my
                      > workbench.

                      The ground is a good thing to have!

                      > I've also seen black ESD boxes in some catalogs which from the catalog look
                      > like cardboard. What are these made of? What's a good (read: cheap) source
                      > for them since I'm now paranoid about my current storage methods
                      > (notwithstanding my track record of no problems).

                      Those are exactly what I was talking about. They're pretty light, and
                      appear to be a conductive plastic of some sort, but I have no idea of
                      who makes them. I can tell you who makes our development tools, ICEs,
                      and JTAG programmers, but the ESD stuff is handled by a different
                      department, and none of those folks appear to be on IM right now to ask.

                      I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
                      long before then.

                      Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
                      might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!

                      Bob

                      ___________________________________
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                        <snip>

                        > I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
                        > long before then.
                        >
                        > Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
                        > might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!

                        http://www.all-spec.com

                        has multi cell Conductive Corrugated Containers. Price seems reasonable, but
                        minimum purchase is 4 or more units (depends on the unit). Any other
                        candidates?

                        Kelly
                      • Richard A. Cini
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                          Which item number are you looking at for S100 boards? How would you propose
                          doing a group purchase? I have about 40 boards and you could probably put
                          more than one board in each cell.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                            You can count me in for one or two.
                            Bill

                            At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                            ><snip>
                            >

                            >> I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
                            >> long before then.
                            >>
                            >> Hey, if we can buy in bulk, I'd be interested in a couple of them...
                            >> might be a mini fund-raiser for MARCH!
                            >>

                            >http://www.all-spec.com
                            >
                            >has multi cell Conductive Corrugated Containers. Price seems reasonable,
                            but
                            >minimum purchase is 4 or more units (depends on the unit). Any other
                            >candidates?
                            >
                            >Kelly
                            >
                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            -- E N D --
                          • Kelly Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                              The boards I need to store are 10x6. Would this size fit for anyone else?

                              Conductive Containers Inc. has 4 models that would work for this board size.
                              The one I like is 10.75 x 7, with 30 cells.

                              I have contacted a NJ based distributor to see how much for 4 or 5 of these.

                              I'll let you know if/when they respond.

                              Kelly

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Something that would fit say a IBM PC motherboard I estimate to be 20 x 16
                                would be more practical for me. Would that be a lot more expensive? Even
                                if some of the cards are smaller I have a need to store motherboards and
                                large cards as well as your smaller controllers.
                                Bill

                                At 04:42 PM 2/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                                >The boards I need to store are 10x6. Would this size fit for anyone else?
                                >
                                >Conductive Containers Inc. has 4 models that would work for this board size.
                                >The one I like is 10.75 x 7, with 30 cells.
                                >
                                >I have contacted a NJ based distributor to see how much for 4 or 5 of these.
                                >
                                >I'll let you know if/when they respond.
                                >
                                >Kelly

                              • Richard A. Cini
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  I'm looking for S100-size, which are around 10" wide and 6.5" high. So, the
                                  one you picked for yourself would work for me too.

                                  Rich

                                  Something that would fit say a IBM PC motherboard I estimate to be 20 x 16
                                  would be more practical for me. Would that be a lot more expensive? Even
                                  if some of the cards are smaller I have a need to store motherboards and
                                  large cards as well as your smaller controllers.
                                  Bill

                                  At 04:42 PM 2/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >The boards I need to store are 10x6. Would this size fit for anyone else?
                                  >
                                  >Conductive Containers Inc. has 4 models that would work for this board
                                  size.
                                  >The one I like is 10.75 x 7, with 30 cells.
                                  >
                                  >I have contacted a NJ based distributor to see how much for 4 or 5 of
                                  these.

                                  >I'll let you know if/when they respond.
                                  >
                                  >Kelly

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • John Allain
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    >> I'll get a brand name on Monday, but I'm sure folks will find sources
                                    >> long before then.

                                    I got this name http://www.uline.com
                                    off of some antistatic bags I saved.
                                    They have the semisilver bags everyone's familliar with, also soft
                                    bubblecell
                                    and ziplocking top options, probably many more. I thought ordering 100
                                    was extravagant until I started using them for everything.
                                    Time for me to order more. 100% satisfied.
                                    http://www.uline.com/Class_21.asp?searchedkeywords=antistatic
                                    They also have the pro boxes.

                                    John A.
                                    customer only, no other affiliation
                                  • Bob Applegate
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 7, 2006
                                      Okay, here at work we use ESD carriers ("totes") made by Lewisystems.  I did
                                      a quick search and happened to find some guy selling used ones, and the
                                      second picture shows more detail than all the dealer pages:

                                      http://www.aa9tt.com/Fun_Stuff/Amplifiers/For_Sale/Equipment_Index/ESD_Board_Carriers_/esd_board_carriers_.html

                                      You can clearly see the totes have slots in the side walls to hold dividers.  The
                                      dividers have slots so they can be configured as-needed to fit whatever the board
                                      dimensions happen to be.

                                      These appear to be quite expensive new, so they're probably more than most people
                                      want to spend on hobby projects.  However, they are very nice, stack well, can be
                                      configured to hold many different board sizes, and are designed to provide a good
                                      ESD shield around whatever is in them.  They're strong too... it's okay to pile them
                                      on top of one another without worrying about crushing them.

                                      Rubbermaid offers a series of ESB totes as well.  Here is a page selling them:

                                      None of this stuff is cheap, but it's a much better way to store sensitive boards/components
                                      for long-term use.  Of course, you also need to make sure your work area is grounded
                                      properly, you follow decent ESD procedures when handling boards, etc.

                                      73

                                      Bob - K2UT

                                      Bob Applegate
                                      Senior Member Technical Staff