Re: [midatlanticretro] obama is at the CHM right now

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 09/26/2011 07:02 PM, system@... wrote: >> need
      >expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a>> >>
      >reasonable spouse!)> > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would
      >>> love if I'd get the 19"> rack off the back patio though. :D She >>
      >doesn't complain much about the> racks in the basement because they're
      >>> there to make the money! >> >> Excellent, and excellent. If the
      >rack on the patio happens to be a >> DEC H960, I'll take it! > > It's a
      >Compaq which had been full of AlphaServers. I have one in the >
      >basement with 2 DS20Es (dual CPUs/16GB) and 2 ES40s (quad CPUs/32GB). >
      >All four with multiple fiber channel SCSI.
      >
      > Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
      >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
      >use for vintage stuff.

      But when I'm making OS mods, having the real thing here to test on makes
      a world of difference. Can't wait until I can get a Poulson based blade
      system.

      BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape transports.
      It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
        On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote:
        >> Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
        >> modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
        >> use for vintage stuff.
        >
        > But when I'm making OS mods, having the real thing here to test on makes
        > a world of difference. Can't wait until I can get a Poulson based blade
        > system.

        Nice! And agreed! When I said "not of any use to me here though", I
        was speaking ONLY of the rack you're looking to get rid of, not the
        tasty Alpha gear. The machines that do the heavy lifting here are
        UltraSPARC-III+ based, but I do love Alphas as well, despite the
        (regrettable) lack of any "new" ones.

        > BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape transports.
        > It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.

        Dear Lord. That's probably a significant percentage of all surviving
        TU56s!

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          >On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote: >>
          >Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my >>
          >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
          >>> use for vintage stuff. > > But when I'm making OS mods, having the
          >real thing here to test on makes > a world of difference. Can't wait
          >until I can get a Poulson based blade > system.
          >
          > Nice! And agreed! When I said "not of any use to me here though", I
          >was speaking ONLY of the rack you're looking to get rid of, not the
          >tasty Alpha gear. The machines that do the heavy lifting here are
          >UltraSPARC-III+ based, but I do love Alphas as well, despite the
          >(regrettable) lack of any "new" ones.
          >
          >> BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape
          >transports. > It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.
          >
          > Dear Lord. That's probably a significant percentage of all surviving
          >TU56s!

          This rack was donated by Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella, who were both
          members of the VMS engineering group since before V1, for the museum. I
          also have Andy's MicroVAX-II. Somehow, its mouse went missing. I asked
          Andy last week if he had it somewhere in his hoard of stuff. He said he
          didn't see one but he did find several few more things he's going to be
          shipping my way.

          What's needed is the old DEC mouse or tablet with 15pin D (looks like an
          Ethernet AUI connector) on it.
        • Win Heagy
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
            I agree. Can we keep politics out of here? This was one group I thought I could count on to stick to the topic. I guess not. I'm usually a lurker, but when I see 90% of the digest consumed by this nonsense, it makes me mad. There's plenty of political groups where you can go.

            Win

            > So much for not hearing political BS in this group..

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011

              On Sep 27, 2011 6:38 AM, <system@...> wrote:

              > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
              >
              > >On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote: >>
              > >Nice!  Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately.  All of my >>
              > >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to

              Where's the T.D.P.D. when you need then ? ;)

            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                >--20cf300fb16f414bcd04aded660c Content-Type: text/plain;
                >charset=ISO-8859-1
                >
                >On Sep 27, 2011 6:38 AM, <system@...> wrote: > >
                >Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes: > > >On 09/26/2011 08:10
                >PM, system@... wrote: >> > >Nice! Not of any use to
                >me here though, unfortunately. All of my >> > >modern for-work systems
                >already have racks, and that's really too new to > >>> use for vintage
                >stuff. > > But when I'm making OS mods, having the
                >
                >Where's the T.D.P.D. when you need then ? ;)

                Huh?