Re: [midatlanticretro] obama is at the CHM right now

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
      On 09/26/2011 07:02 PM, system@... wrote:
      >> need expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a>>
      >> reasonable spouse!)> > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would
      >> love if I'd get the 19"> rack off the back patio though. :D She
      >> doesn't complain much about the> racks in the basement because they're
      >> there to make the money!
      >>
      >> Excellent, and excellent. If the rack on the patio happens to be a
      >> DEC H960, I'll take it!
      >
      > It's a Compaq which had been full of AlphaServers. I have one in the
      > basement with 2 DS20Es (dual CPUs/16GB) and 2 ES40s (quad CPUs/32GB).
      > All four with multiple fiber channel SCSI.

      Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
      modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
      use for vintage stuff.

      > I'll keep my eye out for an H960. That's a pretty old rack though.

      Yes it is. I have a number of PDP-8 and PDP-11 systems that are in
      need of rack space.

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        >On 09/26/2011 07:02 PM, system@... wrote: >> need
        >expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a>> >>
        >reasonable spouse!)> > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would
        >>> love if I'd get the 19"> rack off the back patio though. :D She >>
        >doesn't complain much about the> racks in the basement because they're
        >>> there to make the money! >> >> Excellent, and excellent. If the
        >rack on the patio happens to be a >> DEC H960, I'll take it! > > It's a
        >Compaq which had been full of AlphaServers. I have one in the >
        >basement with 2 DS20Es (dual CPUs/16GB) and 2 ES40s (quad CPUs/32GB). >
        >All four with multiple fiber channel SCSI.
        >
        > Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
        >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
        >use for vintage stuff.

        But when I'm making OS mods, having the real thing here to test on makes
        a world of difference. Can't wait until I can get a Poulson based blade
        system.

        BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape transports.
        It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
          On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote:
          >> Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
          >> modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
          >> use for vintage stuff.
          >
          > But when I'm making OS mods, having the real thing here to test on makes
          > a world of difference. Can't wait until I can get a Poulson based blade
          > system.

          Nice! And agreed! When I said "not of any use to me here though", I
          was speaking ONLY of the rack you're looking to get rid of, not the
          tasty Alpha gear. The machines that do the heavy lifting here are
          UltraSPARC-III+ based, but I do love Alphas as well, despite the
          (regrettable) lack of any "new" ones.

          > BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape transports.
          > It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.

          Dear Lord. That's probably a significant percentage of all surviving
          TU56s!

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote: >>
            >Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my >>
            >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
            >>> use for vintage stuff. > > But when I'm making OS mods, having the
            >real thing here to test on makes > a world of difference. Can't wait
            >until I can get a Poulson based blade > system.
            >
            > Nice! And agreed! When I said "not of any use to me here though", I
            >was speaking ONLY of the rack you're looking to get rid of, not the
            >tasty Alpha gear. The machines that do the heavy lifting here are
            >UltraSPARC-III+ based, but I do love Alphas as well, despite the
            >(regrettable) lack of any "new" ones.
            >
            >> BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape
            >transports. > It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.
            >
            > Dear Lord. That's probably a significant percentage of all surviving
            >TU56s!

            This rack was donated by Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella, who were both
            members of the VMS engineering group since before V1, for the museum. I
            also have Andy's MicroVAX-II. Somehow, its mouse went missing. I asked
            Andy last week if he had it somewhere in his hoard of stuff. He said he
            didn't see one but he did find several few more things he's going to be
            shipping my way.

            What's needed is the old DEC mouse or tablet with 15pin D (looks like an
            Ethernet AUI connector) on it.
          • Win Heagy
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
              I agree. Can we keep politics out of here? This was one group I thought I could count on to stick to the topic. I guess not. I'm usually a lurker, but when I see 90% of the digest consumed by this nonsense, it makes me mad. There's plenty of political groups where you can go.

              Win

              > So much for not hearing political BS in this group..

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011

                On Sep 27, 2011 6:38 AM, <system@...> wrote:

                > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                >
                > >On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote: >>
                > >Nice!  Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately.  All of my >>
                > >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to

                Where's the T.D.P.D. when you need then ? ;)

              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                  >--20cf300fb16f414bcd04aded660c Content-Type: text/plain;
                  >charset=ISO-8859-1
                  >
                  >On Sep 27, 2011 6:38 AM, <system@...> wrote: > >
                  >Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes: > > >On 09/26/2011 08:10
                  >PM, system@... wrote: >> > >Nice! Not of any use to
                  >me here though, unfortunately. All of my >> > >modern for-work systems
                  >already have racks, and that's really too new to > >>> use for vintage
                  >stuff. > > But when I'm making OS mods, having the
                  >
                  >Where's the T.D.P.D. when you need then ? ;)

                  Huh?