obama is at the CHM right now

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
      Obama
      Is at the Computer History Museum, giving a speech, right now (2:15 PM est)
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
        On 09/26/2011 02:14 PM, B Degnan wrote:
        > Obama
        > Is at the Computer History Museum, giving a speech, right now (2:15 PM est)

        What is his speech about?

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          > What is his speech about?

          Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have to part
          with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge share of
          vintage kit. It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D
        • telmnstr@757.org
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
            > What is his speech about?
            > -Dave

            How to help a failing country fail more.

            But on the flip side, he's probably the first president to have played
            video games growing up.
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
              At 02:19 PM 9/26/2011, you wrote:
              >Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
              >
              > > What is his speech about?
              >
              >Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have to part
              >with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge share of
              >vintage kit. It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D

              Raising money of course. What do you think was Obama's favorite
              vintage computer?

              Probably the Apple /// as this was also a spectacular failure.
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                On 09/26/2011 02:19 PM, system@... wrote:
                > Dave McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:
                >
                >> What is his speech about?
                >
                > Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have to part
                > with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge share of
                > vintage kit. It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D

                Doubtful! From what I've seen, people without huge shares of kit
                lack it due to oppressive spouses who are firm in the belief that they
                can demand the zebra without the stripes. ;)

                Dave McGuire
                Port Charlotte, FL
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                  On 09/26/2011 02:22 PM, telmnstr@... wrote:
                  >> What is his speech about?
                  >
                  > How to help a failing country fail more.

                  :-(

                  > But on the flip side, he's probably the first president to have played
                  > video games growing up.

                  I think this is a good thing. Maybe his primal urges to blow stuff
                  up have already been satisfied on-screen. ;)

                  Dave McGuire
                  Port Charlotte, FL
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011

                    On Sep 26, 2011 2:23 PM, <system@...> wrote:

                    > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                    >
                    > >   What is his speech about?
                    >
                    > Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have to part
                    > with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge share of
                    > vintage kit.  It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D

                    Oh so all these millionares and billionares in the audience that happen to be donating are further propagating this somewhat delusional conspiracy

                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                      So much for not hearing political BS in this group..
                    • Christopher Blackmon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011

                        +1

                        That went OT pretty quick.

                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          >On 09/26/2011 02:19 PM, system@... wrote: > Dave
                          >McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes: > >> What is his speech
                          >about? > > Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have
                          >to part > with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge
                          >share of > vintage kit. It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D
                          >
                          > Doubtful! From what I've seen, people without huge shares of kit
                          >lack it due to oppressive spouses who are firm in the belief that they
                          >can demand the zebra without the stripes. ;)

                          Well, my Mrs. doesn't mind the stripes on her zebra. However, I've
                          given a lot of my kit away due to my needs to free space to acquire
                          newer kit. Space, at least in my basement and garage, is finite! ;)
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                            On 09/26/2011 03:59 PM, system@... wrote:
                            > Dave McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:
                            >
                            >> On 09/26/2011 02:19 PM, system@... wrote:> Dave
                            >> McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:> >> What is his speech
                            >> about?> > Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have
                            >> to part> with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge
                            >> share of> vintage kit. It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D
                            >>
                            >> Doubtful! From what I've seen, people without huge shares of kit
                            >> lack it due to oppressive spouses who are firm in the belief that they
                            >> can demand the zebra without the stripes. ;)
                            >
                            > Well, my Mrs. doesn't mind the stripes on her zebra. However, I've
                            > given a lot of my kit away due to my needs to free space to acquire
                            > newer kit. Space, at least in my basement and garage, is finite! ;)

                            We need expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a
                            reasonable spouse!)

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              >On 09/26/2011 03:59 PM, system@... wrote: > Dave
                              >McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes: > >> On 09/26/2011 02:19 PM,
                              >system@... wrote:> Dave >>
                              >McGuire<Mcguire@...> writes:> >> What is his speech >>
                              >about?> > Vintage computer hoarders with large caches of kit will have
                              >>> to part> with some of their kit to help those who do not have a huge
                              >>> share of> vintage kit. It's part of the compunist manifesto! :D >>
                              >>> Doubtful! From what I've seen, people without huge shares of kit
                              >>> lack it due to oppressive spouses who are firm in the belief that
                              >they >> can demand the zebra without the stripes. ;) > > Well, my Mrs.
                              >doesn't mind the stripes on her zebra. However, I've > given a lot of
                              >my kit away due to my needs to free space to acquire > newer kit.
                              >Space, at least in my basement and garage, is finite! ;)
                              >
                              > We need expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a
                              >reasonable spouse!)

                              32 years and counting... 25 married. She would love if I'd get the 19"
                              rack off the back patio though. :D She doesn't complain much about the
                              racks in the basement because they're there to make the money!
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                                On 09/26/2011 05:15 PM, system@... wrote:
                                >> We need expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a
                                >> reasonable spouse!)
                                >
                                > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would love if I'd get the 19"
                                > rack off the back patio though. :D She doesn't complain much about the
                                > racks in the basement because they're there to make the money!

                                Excellent, and excellent. If the rack on the patio happens to be a
                                DEC H960, I'll take it!

                                Dave McGuire
                                Port Charlotte, FL
                              • Barry L. Kline
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                                  On 09/26/2011 02:14 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                                  > Is at the Computer History Museum, giving a speech, right now (2:15 PM est)

                                  Politics aside, that's really great for the CHM. What a great way to
                                  get some free publicity! Hmmm... I wonder if he could be convinced to
                                  give his next speech from the middle of the MARCH museum?

                                  Barry
                                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                    >On 09/26/2011 05:15 PM, system@... wrote: >> We
                                    >need expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a >>
                                    >reasonable spouse!) > > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would
                                    >love if I'd get the 19" > rack off the back patio though. :D She
                                    >doesn't complain much about the > racks in the basement because they're
                                    >there to make the money!
                                    >
                                    > Excellent, and excellent. If the rack on the patio happens to be a
                                    >DEC H960, I'll take it!

                                    It's a Compaq which had been full of AlphaServers. I have one in the
                                    basement with 2 DS20Es (dual CPUs/16GB) and 2 ES40s (quad CPUs/32GB).
                                    All four with multiple fiber channel SCSI.

                                    I'll keep my eye out for an H960. That's a pretty old rack though.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                                      On 09/26/2011 07:02 PM, system@... wrote:
                                      >> need expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a>>
                                      >> reasonable spouse!)> > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would
                                      >> love if I'd get the 19"> rack off the back patio though. :D She
                                      >> doesn't complain much about the> racks in the basement because they're
                                      >> there to make the money!
                                      >>
                                      >> Excellent, and excellent. If the rack on the patio happens to be a
                                      >> DEC H960, I'll take it!
                                      >
                                      > It's a Compaq which had been full of AlphaServers. I have one in the
                                      > basement with 2 DS20Es (dual CPUs/16GB) and 2 ES40s (quad CPUs/32GB).
                                      > All four with multiple fiber channel SCSI.

                                      Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
                                      modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
                                      use for vintage stuff.

                                      > I'll keep my eye out for an H960. That's a pretty old rack though.

                                      Yes it is. I have a number of PDP-8 and PDP-11 systems that are in
                                      need of rack space.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                        >On 09/26/2011 07:02 PM, system@... wrote: >> need
                                        >expanding basements and garages! (and congrats on having a>> >>
                                        >reasonable spouse!)> > 32 years and counting... 25 married. She would
                                        >>> love if I'd get the 19"> rack off the back patio though. :D She >>
                                        >doesn't complain much about the> racks in the basement because they're
                                        >>> there to make the money! >> >> Excellent, and excellent. If the
                                        >rack on the patio happens to be a >> DEC H960, I'll take it! > > It's a
                                        >Compaq which had been full of AlphaServers. I have one in the >
                                        >basement with 2 DS20Es (dual CPUs/16GB) and 2 ES40s (quad CPUs/32GB). >
                                        >All four with multiple fiber channel SCSI.
                                        >
                                        > Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
                                        >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
                                        >use for vintage stuff.

                                        But when I'm making OS mods, having the real thing here to test on makes
                                        a world of difference. Can't wait until I can get a Poulson based blade
                                        system.

                                        BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape transports.
                                        It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
                                          On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote:
                                          >> Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my
                                          >> modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
                                          >> use for vintage stuff.
                                          >
                                          > But when I'm making OS mods, having the real thing here to test on makes
                                          > a world of difference. Can't wait until I can get a Poulson based blade
                                          > system.

                                          Nice! And agreed! When I said "not of any use to me here though", I
                                          was speaking ONLY of the rack you're looking to get rid of, not the
                                          tasty Alpha gear. The machines that do the heavy lifting here are
                                          UltraSPARC-III+ based, but I do love Alphas as well, despite the
                                          (regrettable) lack of any "new" ones.

                                          > BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape transports.
                                          > It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.

                                          Dear Lord. That's probably a significant percentage of all surviving
                                          TU56s!

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                            >On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote: >>
                                            >Nice! Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately. All of my >>
                                            >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to
                                            >>> use for vintage stuff. > > But when I'm making OS mods, having the
                                            >real thing here to test on makes > a world of difference. Can't wait
                                            >until I can get a Poulson based blade > system.
                                            >
                                            > Nice! And agreed! When I said "not of any use to me here though", I
                                            >was speaking ONLY of the rack you're looking to get rid of, not the
                                            >tasty Alpha gear. The machines that do the heavy lifting here are
                                            >UltraSPARC-III+ based, but I do love Alphas as well, despite the
                                            >(regrettable) lack of any "new" ones.
                                            >
                                            >> BTW, I do have an H960 rack but it chock full of TU56 DECtape
                                            >transports. > It's sitting in the garage awaiting a home at at InfoAge.
                                            >
                                            > Dear Lord. That's probably a significant percentage of all surviving
                                            >TU56s!

                                            This rack was donated by Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella, who were both
                                            members of the VMS engineering group since before V1, for the museum. I
                                            also have Andy's MicroVAX-II. Somehow, its mouse went missing. I asked
                                            Andy last week if he had it somewhere in his hoard of stuff. He said he
                                            didn't see one but he did find several few more things he's going to be
                                            shipping my way.

                                            What's needed is the old DEC mouse or tablet with 15pin D (looks like an
                                            Ethernet AUI connector) on it.
                                          • Win Heagy
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                              I agree. Can we keep politics out of here? This was one group I thought I could count on to stick to the topic. I guess not. I'm usually a lurker, but when I see 90% of the digest consumed by this nonsense, it makes me mad. There's plenty of political groups where you can go.

                                              Win

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011

                                                On Sep 27, 2011 6:38 AM, <system@...> wrote:

                                                > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                                                >
                                                > >On 09/26/2011 08:10 PM, system@... wrote: >>
                                                > >Nice!  Not of any use to me here though, unfortunately.  All of my >>
                                                > >modern for-work systems already have racks, and that's really too new to

                                                Where's the T.D.P.D. when you need then ? ;)

                                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
                                                  Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

                                                  >--20cf300fb16f414bcd04aded660c Content-Type: text/plain;
                                                  >charset=ISO-8859-1
                                                  >
                                                  >On Sep 27, 2011 6:38 AM, <system@...> wrote: > >
                                                  >Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes: > > >On 09/26/2011 08:10
                                                  >PM, system@... wrote: >> > >Nice! Not of any use to
                                                  >me here though, unfortunately. All of my >> > >modern for-work systems
                                                  >already have racks, and that's really too new to > >>> use for vintage
                                                  >stuff. > > But when I'm making OS mods, having the
                                                  >
                                                  >Where's the T.D.P.D. when you need then ? ;)

                                                  Huh?