8080B chip

  • Bill Dromgoole
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2011
      Ebay Item number: 270820579117 would hve been cheaper if it was wrapped in an IMSAI computer.
      Why is this so valuable?

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2011
        On 09/25/2011 03:57 PM, Bill Dromgoole wrote:
        > Ebay Item number: 270820579117 would hve been cheaper if it was wrapped
        > in an IMSAI computer.
        > Why is this so valuable?

        Not a surprising price at all.

        First, white ceramic 8080s are *extremely* rare, and this is a
        particularly old one, with a date code indicating it was manufactured in
        December of 1974. (The 8080 was introduced in April of 1974)

        Second, this is an 8080B, binned for 3MHz operation. Only a handful
        of these made it out into the wild. Even when there were still lots of
        8080 systems out in the mainstream world (early 1980s), 8080Bs were
        highly sought after and often fetched $300-400 from people goosing their
        S-100 systems.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2011
          On 09/25/2011 04:34 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
          > On 09/25/2011 03:57 PM, Bill Dromgoole wrote:
          >> Ebay Item number: 270820579117 would hve been cheaper if it was wrapped
          >> in an IMSAI computer.
          >> Why is this so valuable?
          > Not a surprising price at all.

          What do you suppose MARCH's 6501 chip is worth?
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
            On 09/26/2011 12:15 AM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
            >>> Ebay Item number: 270820579117 would hve been cheaper if it was wrapped
            >>> in an IMSAI computer.
            >>> Why is this so valuable?
            >> Not a surprising price at all.
            >
            > What do you suppose MARCH's 6501 chip is worth?

            I think, with stuff as rare as the 6501 and the aforementioned
            C8080B, it's impossible to come up with a price without actually putting
            it out for the market to decide.

            Dave McGuire
            Port Charlotte, FL
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

              >wrapped
              >>> Not a surprising price at all.
              >>
              >> What do you suppose MARCH's 6501 chip is worth?
              >
              > I think, with stuff as rare as the 6501 and the aforementioned
              >C8080B, it's impossible to come up with a price without actually
              >putting
              >it out for the market to decide.
              >
              > -Dave
              >
              >--
              >Dave McGuire
              >Port Charlotte, FL

              Not necessarily. there is a whole chip scene with very knowledgeable people.
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
                On 09/26/2011 08:40 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                >> wrapped
                >>>
                >>> What do you suppose MARCH's 6501 chip is worth?
                >>
                >> I think, with stuff as rare as the 6501 and the aforementioned
                >> C8080B, it's impossible to come up with a price without actually
                >> putting
                >> it out for the market to decide.
                >
                > Not necessarily. there is a whole chip scene with very knowledgeable people.

                Of course. But that doesn't mean they (or anyone else) can establish
                a dollar value for something. Ultimately (the curmudgeons on classiccmp
                notwithstanding) the value is established by the buyers in the market.
                If there's only one buyer, that's not a whole lot of data points, and
                there's no history.

                Even in the heyday of the 8080 in the hotbed of CP/M activity in NJ
                when I was growing up, with all of those hardcore hackers doing
                everything they could to their systems, I've seen precisely ONE 8080B,
                and never a 6501. There will never be enough data points to come up
                with a "this is worth $X" number in any general sense.

                Everything that is truly rare (not "eBay rare") has this problem,
                which is one reason why auctions still exist.

                Dave McGuire
                Port Charlotte, FL