MARCH board promotion!

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
      Exciting news: me, Justin, and Andy discussed this privately, and decided to give Bill Degnan the honorary title of MARCH CRO -- Chief Restoration Officer.

      As such, we're doubling his pay from nothing. :)

      But from now on, whenever we or individual members consider a restoration project for the museum collection, we'll look to Mr. Bill (oh noooooooooooo!) for direction and wisdom.

      Sincere thought: Bill has worked his tail off and truly earned this recognition.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
        At 08:40 PM 9/21/2011, you wrote:
        >Exciting news: me, Justin, and Andy discussed this privately, and
        >decided to give Bill Degnan the honorary title of MARCH CRO -- Chief
        >Restoration Officer.
        >
        >As such, we're doubling his pay from nothing. :)
        >
        >But from now on, whenever we or individual members consider a
        >restoration project for the museum collection, we'll look to Mr.
        >Bill (oh noooooooooooo!) for direction and wisdom.
        >
        >Sincere thought: Bill has worked his tail off and truly earned this
        >recognition.

        So be it "CRO" it is. Thanks!

        After VCF MW I will complete the IMSAI, speaking of nudge nudge.

        I just finished an OSI Challenger 1P, including an adapted version of
        LIFE that I can load from cassette. It's only got 7423 K available
        to RAM for BASIC so it's a short LIFE.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
          On 09/21/2011 09:59 PM, B Degnan wrote:
          >> Exciting news: me, Justin, and Andy discussed this privately, and
          >> decided to give Bill Degnan the honorary title of MARCH CRO -- Chief
          >> Restoration Officer.
          >>
          >> As such, we're doubling his pay from nothing. :)
          >>
          >> But from now on, whenever we or individual members consider a
          >> restoration project for the museum collection, we'll look to Mr.
          >> Bill (oh noooooooooooo!) for direction and wisdom.
          >>
          >> Sincere thought: Bill has worked his tail off and truly earned this
          >> recognition.
          >
          > So be it "CRO" it is. Thanks!

          Ahh, a common abbreviation for what oscilloscopes used to be called:
          Cathode Ray Oscillograph!

          > I just finished an OSI Challenger 1P, including an adapted version of
          > LIFE that I can load from cassette. It's only got 7423 K available
          > to RAM for BASIC so it's a short LIFE.

          Sweet!!

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
            > > So be it "CRO" it is. Thanks!
            >
            > Ahh, a common abbreviation for what oscilloscopes used to be called:
            >Cathode Ray Oscillograph!

            Nice touch. I always like how the Homebrew club called Lee
            Felsenstein the "stack pointer"

            > > I just finished an OSI Challenger 1P, including an adapted version of
            > > LIFE that I can load from cassette. It's only got 7423 K available
            > > to RAM for BASIC so it's a short LIFE.

            I will make a video at some point I guess. The version of LIFE that
            I have is lame, needs a lot of work.

            Bill
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
              From: B Degnan

              >I just finished an OSI Challenger 1P, including an adapted version of
              LIFE that I can load from cassette. It's only got 7423 K available
              to RAM for BASIC so it's a short LIFE.

              Perhaps we could display that at the museum as our artifact of the month ?
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                On 09/21/2011 10:14 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                > Nice touch. I always like how the Homebrew club called Lee
                > Felsenstein the "stack pointer"

                I like it!!

                >>> I just finished an OSI Challenger 1P, including an adapted version of
                >>> LIFE that I can load from cassette. It's only got 7423 K available
                >>> to RAM for BASIC so it's a short LIFE.
                >
                > I will make a video at some point I guess. The version of LIFE that
                > I have is lame, needs a lot of work.

                Sounds like a fun project for a rainy afternoon!

                Dave McGuire
                Port Charlotte, FL
              • Jeff Jonas
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                  > On 09/21/2011 09:59 PM, B Degnan wrote:
                  > >> Exciting news: me, Justin, and Andy discussed this privately,
                  > >> and decided to give Bill Degnan the honorary title of MARCH CRO > >> -- Chief Restoration Officer.

                  Hear! Hear! Well spoken, Bruce!

                  > Ahh, a common abbreviation for what
                  > oscilloscopes used to be called:
                  > Cathode Ray Oscillograph!

                  I'm one of the last to handle an electro-mechanical oscillograph.
                  It was NOT a chart recorder but a galvanometer
                  moving a mirror to draw the pattern on a screen
                  (similar to infra-red chart recorders of later years).
                  It had 2 modes: vertical deflection from the input
                  and NO horizontal sweep (the film motion was the time-base),
                  or with a motor sweeping the beam horizontally.

                  Sadly, I have only the wood case and front panel.
                  I gave all the guts to a classmate to keep his running.
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 22, 2011

                    On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                    Exciting news: me, Justin, and Andy discussed this privately, and decided to give Bill Degnan the honorary title of MARCH CRO -- Chief Restoration Officer.

                    As such, we're doubling his pay from nothing.  :)

                    But from now on, whenever we or individual members consider a restoration project for the museum collection, we'll look to Mr. Bill (oh noooooooooooo!) for direction and wisdom.

                    Sincere thought: Bill has worked his tail off and truly earned this recognition.

                    Hip, Hip, Hooray !! <Kaboom>
                    Hip, Hip, Hooray !! <Kaboom>

                    damn Caps

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 22, 2011
                      On 09/22/2011 01:29 AM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
                      >> Ahh, a common abbreviation for what
                      >> oscilloscopes used to be called:
                      >> Cathode Ray Oscillograph!
                      >
                      > I'm one of the last to handle an electro-mechanical oscillograph.
                      > It was NOT a chart recorder but a galvanometer
                      > moving a mirror to draw the pattern on a screen
                      > (similar to infra-red chart recorders of later years).
                      > It had 2 modes: vertical deflection from the input
                      > and NO horizontal sweep (the film motion was the time-base),
                      > or with a motor sweeping the beam horizontally.
                      >
                      > Sadly, I have only the wood case and front panel.
                      > I gave all the guts to a classmate to keep his running.

                      Oh MAN that sounds cool! I have a large collection of 75-125 year
                      old electronics test equipment (potentiometers [not the same as
                      "variable resistors"!], galvanometers, bridges, etc), in gorgeous wood
                      cases with lots of brass, etc. Most of them are functional. I have
                      nothing even close to the level of awesomeness as an E-M oscillograph
                      though. Chase down that classmate and make sure he keeps that unit in
                      good shape, they're incredibly rare.

                      Dave McGuire
                      Port Charlotte, FL
                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 23, 2011
                        Does anyone know if NAVELEX in Norfolk Naval Shipyard still has the equipment Henry Trank left them thirty years ago?
                        It relates to the only true parts of the "Philadelphia Experiment" garbage.  Trank and company were doing work on studying the magnetic image of ships.
                        The rest of that is like the initials to my name.
                        bs