Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Looking for RF modulators

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
      I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
      game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
      usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
      newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
      with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
      co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
      shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
      be done with it.
      Bill D

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
        Joe,

        If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
        - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
        channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

        > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        >
        > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
        > little
        > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
        > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
        > for
        > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
        > >
        > >Thanks for any help.
        > >
        > >Kelly
        > >

        > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
        >
        > Froogle is your friend.
        >
        > Joe

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
          Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

          Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
            There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
            are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
            generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
            PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

            Bob

            Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

            > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
            > thread late.  :)
            >
            > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
            > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
            > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
            > group.)
            >

            > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
            > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
            > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
            > Looking for RF modulators
            >
            > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
            > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
            > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
            > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
            >
            > what
            > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
            > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
            > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
            > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
            > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
            > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
            > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
            > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
            > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
            > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
            > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
            > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
            > >  > >>
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            >  Visit your group "

            ___________________________________
            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
          • Alfred Byrne
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
              Hi Everyone,
              Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
              Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
              the group section for Tandy related information. I
              have
              a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
              Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
              286-16mhz
              system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
              Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

              the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
              I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
              Windows
              and Linux, Z80 to p4.

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
              > must've joined this thread
              > late. :)
              >
              > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
              > before. Please introduce
              > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
              > all are welcome here but
              > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
              > group.)
              >
              > _____

              =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
              > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
              > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
              > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
              > Field

              ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
              > SwdHWZfg> trip
              >
              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
              > on the web.

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

              Alfred L. Byrne
            • Alfred Byrne
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                shin-dig.

                Alfred L. Byrne