Re: [midatlanticretro] Fastest fingers question...

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
      Bob Grieb wrote:
      > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

      > I'm guessing:
      >
      > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
      > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
      > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
      > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
      >
      > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

      Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
        David and Jeff,

        Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
        my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
          Kelly,

          I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
          I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
          ago. I do not know their current condition.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            Evan,

            The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
            CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

            Jim

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
            >
            > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
            > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
            > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
            >

            > _____

            =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
            > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
            > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
            > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
            > Field

            ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
            > SwdHWZfg> trip
            >
            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > _____

          • Greg N Shari
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
              So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

              Greg

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

              > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
              > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
              > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

              >   _____

            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                > David and Jeff,
                >
                > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                a VT52.
              • Degnan
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                  first color laptop
                  bill d

                  At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                  >So
                  >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                  >things?

                  >Greg
                  >
                  > -----Original Message-----From:
                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                  > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                  > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                  > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                  > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                  > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                  > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                  > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                  > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                  > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                  > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                  > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                  sig=yQK66sIa>
                  > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                  > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                  sig=bvgAN5E>
                  > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                  > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                  sig=E3VSZZU>
                  > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                  > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                  sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                  > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                  > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                  >       > *      Visit
                  > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                  > " on the web.>   > >
                  > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                  > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                  > >   > > *      Your
                  > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                  > Vintage computer
                  >
                  > Computer security
                  >
                  > Computer training