Fastest fingers question...

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
      Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

      > >>Would be great to have early examples from Compaq, IBM, Kaypro, and
      >
      > >>Osborne.

      I'm guessing:

      1) Osborne (CP/M)
      2) Kaypro (CP/M)
      3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
      4) IBM (MS-DOS)

      But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

      > > I have MARCH's 5155 (is that the right model?). It was IBM's
      > luggable.
      >
      > I have my own 5155 in original condition as well, if necessary.
      >
      > Peace... Sridhar

      > Vintage

      =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
      > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

      2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
      > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

      2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
      > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
      > Field

      ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
      > SwdHWZfg> trip
      >
      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

      > Service
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      >

      > _____

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
        Bob Grieb wrote:
        > Name these luggable computers in order of appearance:

        > I'm guessing:
        >
        > 1) Osborne (CP/M)
        > 2) Kaypro (CP/M)
        > 3) Compaq (MS-DOS)
        > 4) IBM (MS-DOS)
        >
        > But maybe the Compaq came out before the Kaypro?

        Let's not forget the IBM 5100 portable in 1975.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
          David and Jeff,

          Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
          my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
            Kelly,

            I recently "discovered" that I have two Tandy 600's. You can have one which
            I'll bring down on my next trip. At least one of these worked a few years
            ago. I do not know their current condition.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2006
              Evan,

              The Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced both
              CP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable PCompatible.

              Jim

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.
              >
              > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
              > first? (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book. I keep hoping my
              > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)
              >

              > _____

            • Greg N Shari
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                So where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of things?

                Greg

                --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to MARCH-owned system.

                > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM, Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came
                > first?  (I really need to get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my
                > copy will turn up but it's still lost.)

                >   _____

              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                  > David and Jeff,
                  >
                  > Could you guys network your systems or somehow share terminals? I can bring
                  > my ADM 3a if you need an extra/different terminal.

                  PDP-8's don't have much support for networking. The primary console will
                  be my ASR-33 teletype. If I get the second serial port setup and
                  can get one of the multi user edusystems working I will also bring
                  a VT52.
                • Degnan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                    first color laptop
                    bill d

                    At Saturday, 4 February 2006, you wrote:

                    >So
                    >where does the Commodore SX-64 fit into the scheme of
                    >things?

                    >Greg
                    >
                    > -----Original Message-----From:
                    > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jim
                    > ScheefSent: Friday, February 03, 2006 12:49 PMTo:
                    > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [midatlanticretro]
                    > This is cool! - Luggable historyEvan,The
                    > Osborn was the first luggable and defined the genre. Kaypro produced
                    > bothCP/M and MS/DOS models. Compaq was the first luggable
                    > PCompatible.Jim--- Evan <evan947@...>
                    > wrote:> Thanks Sridhar, but it makes sense for me to use to
                    > MARCH-owned system.>  > Or rather, of the foursome -- IBM,
                    > Kaypro, Osborne, Compaq -- which came> first?  (I really need to
                    > get new copy of Mike N.'s book.  I keep hoping my> copy will turn
                    > up but it's still lost.)>  > >
                    > _____  > > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                    sig=yQK66sIa>
                    > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer
                    > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                    sig=bvgAN5E>
                    > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security
                    > Computer><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Vintage+computer&w>2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                    sig=E3VSZZU>
                    > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training       >
                    > Field><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Field+trip&w1=Vintage+computer&w2=Compu>ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.
                    sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL>
                    > SwdHWZfg> trip       > >
                    > _____  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > >
                    >       > *      Visit
                    > your group "midatlanticretro> <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro>

                    > " on the web.>   > >
                    > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                    > to:>  midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>

                    > >   > > *      Your
                    > use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                    > Vintage computer
                    >
                    > Computer security
                    >
                    > Computer training