Re: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 9, 2011
      >>> I plan to attend whichever day promises better weather.

      Okay. Please let me know as soon as you can.

      >>> The "network" demo last year was great; can you do that again?

      Won't be enough room. We have to be very selective this time.
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 11, 2011
        So far there's me (both days), Jeff B. (Sunday only), Jeff J. (both
        days), and Jim S. (not sure which day(s).)

        I assume that other MARCHins will attend the Faire but not necessarily
        staff the InfoAge booth (of which MARCH is part this year) -- which is
        fine, but I can only get free tickets for those whose primarily reason
        for attending is to help us.

        Also, I need to know by, well, in the next 30 seconds or at least by
        tomorrow morning. :)
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011

          Have fun at Maker Faire this wknd
          Wish I could make it - I'll have to try next year.

          I still have to post that video from last year with Evan riding that hi-tech portable bicycle inside the museum -- and add some sound effects ;)

          One good thing that's a result of all this - of reaching the east coast - is now there's a Mini-Maker Faire in Pittsburgh this year in Oct (it's only a 1day event instead). But I still wouldn't want to miss the main event in NYC again.

          =Dan

        • Jeff Jonas
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
            > Have fun at Maker Faire this wknd
            > Wish I could make it - I'll have to try next year.

            It was fun being with you last year repairing the Altair cards, but this year we're low on space so the Altair's only the CPU card and one static RAM card.

            Here are pix of the deep innards:

            http://ferretronix.com/march/altair/
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 16, 2011
              Working on the Altair is a team effort. I'm glad to hear you have
              the computer stabilized. Nice pics. Now go to sleep!

              Just got back from the Phillies game, was hoping they would take the
              division today, but no dice.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 25, 2011
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
                > I still have to post that video from last year
                > with Evan riding that hi-tech portable bicycle
                > inside the museum -- and add some sound effects ;)

                Ah yes, the Sir Clive Sinclair folding bicycle:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-bike
              • JeffreyB
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 3, 2012
                  Christian,

                  I will be running the M.A.R.C.H. booth for Maker Faire on Sunday September 30. I need a place to stay. I usually stay at a friends house in Queens, but they are on vacation that weekend. Would I be able to stay at your place ?

                  Jeff Brace
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Whoops ! That was meant as a private e-mail. I guess I won’t use the web
                    interface again !

                    Sorry about that everyone.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 17, 2014
                      MARCHins,

                      We always seem to be one event ahead! Planning for VCF East during TCF,
                      a workshop during VCF, HOPE during a workshop, and now World Maker Faire
                      during HOPE...

                      Turns our WMF (formerly "New York" Maker Faire) has a July 20
                      application deadline. That's this weekend!!

                      To make sure we're covered, I applied with the exhibit title, "Online
                      Before Internet". This way we can have a generic demo of 1960s, 1970s,
                      and 1980s computers, and we can show how people when "online" using
                      teletypes, terminals, and dial-up modems -- mostly alien concepts for
                      the audience (especially children) to which Maker Faire caters.

                      This gives us freedom to bring any vintage computers we want. Leeway = good.

                      I also requested an indoor space, 10x20 sq. ft., preferably on the
                      ground floor, and I told them we may have special power requirements.
                    • rahwayflynn
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 17, 2014
                        Evan,
                        Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

                        Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

                        Martin.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 17, 2014
                          > Evan,
                          > Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.
                          >
                          > Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies
                          > here the modems train and connect.
                          >
                          > Martin.

                          Will do! Thanks
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 18, 2014

                            ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <maflynn@...> wrote :

                            Evan,
                            Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

                            Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

                            Martin.

                            Can you contact me privately for details about this "box"? Reply via my retrotechnology.com Web site.

                            Herb Johnson

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 30, 2014
                              It's a just a technicality, but, I got an email last night saying that
                              our exhibit proposal for World Maker Faire has been accepted. (Pretty
                              easy when your organization exhibited in every year of the event's
                              existence and when your references are the same people who approve the
                              exhibits.)

                              Refresher: the proposal was "Online Before the Internet". That way we
                              can bring an assortment of minis, homebrew systems, and 8-bit stuff, and
                              show people how we connected to information silos by using teletypes,
                              terminals, and dial-up modems.
                            • Martin A Flynn
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 30, 2014
                                Evan,
                                Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                                I have a  Multitech MTCBA cellular modem on Verizon that has a serial port if someone wants to install heavy metal on one of the spare HP thin client floating around.

                                Given enough time, I can probally find a Telebyte 65A RS-232 to Current Loop Converter Model to address the machine interface as well.

                                Martin Flynn

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 30, 2014
                                  >> Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                                  Nah. It's a neat hack but we want to show something authentic. Showing the "Shredz 64" clone of Guitar Hero backfired a few years ago when kids started thinking that's how we played GH back in the 80s.  :)