Re: Looking for RF modulators

  • chrism3667
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
      O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
      channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
      adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
      has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
      poiposes.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
        2600 is my application as well.

        With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
        static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
        and 99% of the problems were solved.

        Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
          I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
          game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
          usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
          newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
          with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
          co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
          shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
          be done with it.
          Bill D

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
            Joe,

            If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
            - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
            channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

            > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
            >
            > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
            > little
            > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
            > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
            > for
            > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
            > >
            > >Thanks for any help.
            > >
            > >Kelly
            > >

            > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
            >
            > Froogle is your friend.
            >
            > Joe

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
              Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

              Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                Bob

                Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                > thread late.  :)
                >
                > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                > group.)
                >

                > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                > Looking for RF modulators
                >
                > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                >
                > what
                > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                > >  > >>
                >

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                >  Visit your group "

                ___________________________________
                NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
              • Alfred Byrne
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                  Hi Everyone,
                  Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                  Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                  the group section for Tandy related information. I
                  have
                  a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                  Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                  286-16mhz
                  system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                  Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                  the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                  I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                  Windows
                  and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                  > must've joined this thread
                  > late. :)
                  >
                  > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                  > before. Please introduce
                  > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                  > all are welcome here but
                  > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                  > group.)
                  >
                  > _____

                  =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                  > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                  > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                  > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                  > Field

                  ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                  > SwdHWZfg> trip
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                  > on the web.

                  > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > _____

                  Alfred L. Byrne
                • Alfred Byrne
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                    Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                    shin-dig.

                    Alfred L. Byrne