RE: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
      OK
      Bill

      At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

      >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
      price,
      >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
      >
      >Thanks for the input,
      >Kelly
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      -- E N D --
    • chrism3667
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
        O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
        channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
        adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
        has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
        poiposes.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
          2600 is my application as well.

          With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
          static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
          and 99% of the problems were solved.

          Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
            I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
            game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
            usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
            newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
            with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
            co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
            shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
            be done with it.
            Bill D

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
              Joe,

              If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
              - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
              channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

              > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
              >
              > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
              > little
              > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
              > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
              > for
              > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
              > >
              > >Thanks for any help.
              > >
              > >Kelly
              > >

              > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
              >
              > Froogle is your friend.
              >
              > Joe

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                  There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                  are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                  generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                  PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                  Bob

                  Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                  > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                  > thread late.  :)
                  >
                  > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                  > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                  > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                  > group.)
                  >

                  > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                  > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                  > Looking for RF modulators
                  >
                  > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                  > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                  > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                  > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > what
                  > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                  > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                  > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                  > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                  > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                  > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                  > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                  > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                  > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                  > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                  > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                  > >  > >>
                  >

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  >  Visit your group "

                  ___________________________________
                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                • Alfred Byrne
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                    Hi Everyone,
                    Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                    Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                    the group section for Tandy related information. I
                    have
                    a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                    Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                    286-16mhz
                    system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                    Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                    the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                    I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                    Windows
                    and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                    > must've joined this thread
                    > late. :)
                    >
                    > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                    > before. Please introduce
                    > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                    > all are welcome here but
                    > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                    > group.)
                    >
                    > _____

                    =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                    > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                    2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                    > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                    2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                    > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                    > Field

                    ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                    > SwdHWZfg> trip
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >

                    > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                    > on the web.

                    > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    >

                    > _____

                    Alfred L. Byrne
                  • Alfred Byrne
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                      Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                      shin-dig.

                      Alfred L. Byrne