RE: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
      I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
      even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

      Thanks for the input,
      Kelly
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
        > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

        I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

        Cheers,

        Bryan
      • Degnan
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
          OK
          Bill

          At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

          >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
          price,
          >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
          >
          >Thanks for the input,
          >Kelly
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          -- E N D --
        • chrism3667
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
            channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
            adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
            has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
            poiposes.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
              2600 is my application as well.

              With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
              static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
              and 99% of the problems were solved.

              Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                be done with it.
                Bill D

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Joe,

                  If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                  - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                  channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                  > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                  >
                  > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                  > little
                  > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                  > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                  > for
                  > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                  > >
                  > >Thanks for any help.
                  > >
                  > >Kelly
                  > >

                  > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                  >
                  > Froogle is your friend.
                  >
                  > Joe

                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                    Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                      There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                      are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                      generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                      PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                      Bob

                      Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                      > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                      > thread late.  :)
                      >
                      > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                      > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                      > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                      > group.)
                      >

                      > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                      > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                      > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                      > Looking for RF modulators
                      >
                      > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                      > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                      > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                      > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > what
                      > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                      > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                      > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                      > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                      > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                      > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                      > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                      > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                      > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                      > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                      > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                      > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                      > >  > >>
                      >

                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >

                      >  Visit your group "

                      ___________________________________
                      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                    • Alfred Byrne
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                        Hi Everyone,
                        Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                        Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                        the group section for Tandy related information. I
                        have
                        a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                        Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                        286-16mhz
                        system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                        Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                        the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                        I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                        Windows
                        and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                        > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                        > must've joined this thread
                        > late. :)
                        >
                        > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                        > before. Please introduce
                        > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                        > all are welcome here but
                        > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                        > group.)
                        >
                        > _____

                        =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                        > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                        2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                        > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                        2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                        > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                        > Field

                        ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                        > SwdHWZfg> trip
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >

                        > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                        > on the web.

                        > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                        >

                        > _____

                        Alfred L. Byrne
                      • Alfred Byrne
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                          Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                          shin-dig.

                          Alfred L. Byrne