Re: [midatlanticretro] I just bought an enigma machine!

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
      On 09/02/2011 06:34 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
      > Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484
      >
      > Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
      > I couldn't pass.

      Looks like an Enigma (model) to me! Very cool!

      Dave McGuire
      Port Charlotte, FL
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
        Dave McGuire wrote:

        > On 09/02/2011 06:34 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
        > > Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484
        > >
        > > Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
        > > I couldn't pass.
        >
        > Looks like an Enigma (model) to me! Very cool!

        Yea. I was sitting at my desk, doing all of the end of the week
        builds and source repository backups and consistency checks. This
        activity doesn't require a lot of thought so I popped up a browser
        and started doing some of my "idle curiosity" Craig's list and ebay
        searches. "teletype" is one of them. The GI Joe teletype result
        came up and I thought "Gee, my buddies and I had a whole lot of GI
        Joe gear when we were kids and I don't remember..." then I suddenly
        recognized what was in the picture. I did a few googles to be sure
        that 1/12th scale Enigma models we not common as dirt or anything
        and then hit the buy-it-now button. If it actually has "Hasbro"
        stamped on it, I'll be surprised (and a little disappointed) but I'm
        hoping it is either military from the period or a one-off produced by
        a history buff.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
          On 09/02/2011 07:57 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          >>> Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484
          >>>
          >>> Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
          >>> I couldn't pass.
          >>
          >> Looks like an Enigma (model) to me! Very cool!
          >
          > Yea. I was sitting at my desk, doing all of the end of the week
          > builds and source repository backups and consistency checks. This
          > activity doesn't require a lot of thought so I popped up a browser
          > and started doing some of my "idle curiosity" Craig's list and ebay
          > searches. "teletype" is one of them. The GI Joe teletype result
          > came up and I thought "Gee, my buddies and I had a whole lot of GI
          > Joe gear when we were kids and I don't remember..." then I suddenly
          > recognized what was in the picture. I did a few googles to be sure
          > that 1/12th scale Enigma models we not common as dirt or anything
          > and then hit the buy-it-now button. If it actually has "Hasbro"
          > stamped on it, I'll be surprised (and a little disappointed) but I'm
          > hoping it is either military from the period or a one-off produced by
          > a history buff.

          Be sure to take some high-res pics when it arrives!

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2011
            Very cool... Amazing German miniaturization!

            Jim

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
              Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              > If it actually has "Hasbro" stamped on it, I'll be surprised
              > (and a little disappointed)

              Well, it doesn't have "Hasbro" stamped on it, but I am surprised and
              a little disappointed. The appearance of age in the photo was simply
              a fine layer of dust. The model is made of very precisely molded,
              very hard plastic, the kind used in high quality, finely detailed
              model railroad items. It is much higher quality than anything that
              came with GI Joe toys. There is no indication of a makers mark of any
              kind on it. It is very finely detailed. The box has "wood grain"
              molded into it and the scale screw heads on the box handle are clearly
              visible. The only place it "falls down" is the box hinge, which is
              a standard "little plastic pillbox" style hinge, totally out of scale.
              The coloring of the various elements are molded into the plastic
              rather than being painted on. It is most definitely intended to be a
              three rotor enigma. Still not too bad for my twelve bucks, but there
              are probably many more of them out there somewhere. I'm still wondering
              when/where/why it was made.

              Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
              own an enigma.

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                > > If it actually has "Hasbro" stamped on it, I'll be surprised
                > > (and a little disappointed)
                >
                > Well, it doesn't have "Hasbro" stamped on it, but I am surprised and
                > a little disappointed. The appearance of age in the photo was simply
                > a fine layer of dust. The model is made of very precisely molded,
                > very hard plastic, the kind used in high quality, finely detailed
                > model railroad items. It is much higher quality than anything that
                > came with GI Joe toys. There is no indication of a makers mark of any
                > kind on it. It is very finely detailed. The box has "wood grain"
                > molded into it and the scale screw heads on the box handle are clearly
                > visible. The only place it "falls down" is the box hinge, which is
                > a standard "little plastic pillbox" style hinge, totally out of scale.
                > The coloring of the various elements are molded into the plastic
                > rather than being painted on. It is most definitely intended to be a
                > three rotor enigma. Still not too bad for my twelve bucks, but there
                > are probably many more of them out there somewhere. I'm still wondering
                > when/where/why it was made.
                >
                > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                > own an enigma.
                >
                > Bill

                You could say that your desire to know when/where/why does make this a real
                enigma.

                Bill
              • Barry L. Kline
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                  On 09/12/2011 11:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  > I'm still wondering
                  > when/where/why it was made.
                  >
                  > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                  > own an enigma.

                  Well, its providence is an enigma, for sure!

                  Barry
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                    Barry L. Kline wrote:
                    > On 09/12/2011 11:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > > I'm still wondering when/where/why it was made.
                    > >
                    > > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                    > > own an enigma.
                    >
                    > Well, its providence is an enigma, for sure!

                    It just occurred to me that one place it would be "appropriate" to sell
                    something like this might be at a Bletchley Park souvenir shop. Anyone
                    know if such a place exists?

                    Bill
                  • Mike Hatch
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                      Hi,

                      > It just occurred to me that one place it would be "appropriate" to sell
                      > something like this might be at a Bletchley Park souvenir shop. Anyone
                      > know if such a place exists?

                      Yes they do, and a very good shop at that, don't know if it's online
                      though - http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/collect/computer.rhtm.

                      Don't remember seeing any of your "enigmas" there either, Bletchley Park
                      is well worth a visit.

                      Mike.

                      --

                      Best regards,

                      Mike Hatch

                      Email - mike@...
                      Soemtron calculators - www.soemtron.org
                      DEC PDP-7 - www.pdp-7.org

                      Looking for a PDP-7 (some hope!)

                      Britain's smallest country park - www.brickfieldspark.org
                      E-mail - mike@...
                      Urban Wildlife ring - www.brickfieldspark.org/uwringhome.htm

                      Don't miss the Brickfields Park Wildlife Funday, Sunday 1st July 2012
                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                        You can sell it with a pocket colossus machine.
                        bs

                        > > It just occurred to me that one place it would be
                        > "appropriate" to sell
                        > > something like this might be at a Bletchley Park
                        > souvenir shop. Anyone
                        > > know if such a place exists?
                        >
                        > Yes they do, and a very good shop at that, don't know if
                        > it's online
                        > though - http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/collect/computer.rhtm.
                        >
                        > Don't remember seeing any of your "enigmas" there either,
                        > Bletchley Park
                        > is well worth a visit.
                        >
                        > Mike.
                        >

                        > On 12/09/2011 17:19, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                        > > Barry L. Kline wrote:
                        > >  > On 09/12/2011 11:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink
                        > wrote:
                        > >  > > I'm still wondering when/where/why it
                        > was made.
                        > >  > >
                        > >  > > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my
                        > trinket shelf and I can say I
                        > >  > > own an enigma.
                        > >  >
                        > >  > Well, its providence is an enigma, for
                        > sure!
                        > >
                        > > It just occurred to me that one place it would be
                        > "appropriate" to sell
                        > > something like this might be at a Bletchley Park
                        > souvenir shop. Anyone
                        > > know if such a place exists?
                        > >
                        > > Bill
                        > >

                        > --
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        >
                        > Mike Hatch
                        >
                        > Email - mike@...
                        > Soemtron calculators - www.soemtron.org
                        > DEC PDP-7 - www.pdp-7.org
                        >
                        > Looking for a PDP-7 (some hope!)
                        >

                        > Britain's smallest country park -
                        > www.brickfieldspark.org
                        > E-mail - mike@...
                        > Urban Wildlife ring -
                        > www.brickfieldspark.org/uwringhome.htm
                        >
                        > Don't miss the Brickfields Park Wildlife Funday, Sunday 1st
                        > July 2012

                        >     midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      • Jeff Jonas
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                          I'm trying to print up some of these for the MAKER fair:

                          Paper Enigma Machine by Mike Koss
                          http://mckoss.com/Crypto/Enigma.htm

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                            We have very limited space. Please don't bring extra stuff.