I just bought an enigma machine!

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
      Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484

      Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
      I couldn't pass.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011

        Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484

        Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
        I couldn't pass.

        Bill

        Nice.

        Check out this: http://mckoss.com/Crypto/Enigma.htm
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
          On 09/02/2011 06:34 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          > Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484
          >
          > Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
          > I couldn't pass.

          Looks like an Enigma (model) to me! Very cool!

          Dave McGuire
          Port Charlotte, FL
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
            Dave McGuire wrote:

            > On 09/02/2011 06:34 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > > Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484
            > >
            > > Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
            > > I couldn't pass.
            >
            > Looks like an Enigma (model) to me! Very cool!

            Yea. I was sitting at my desk, doing all of the end of the week
            builds and source repository backups and consistency checks. This
            activity doesn't require a lot of thought so I popped up a browser
            and started doing some of my "idle curiosity" Craig's list and ebay
            searches. "teletype" is one of them. The GI Joe teletype result
            came up and I thought "Gee, my buddies and I had a whole lot of GI
            Joe gear when we were kids and I don't remember..." then I suddenly
            recognized what was in the picture. I did a few googles to be sure
            that 1/12th scale Enigma models we not common as dirt or anything
            and then hit the buy-it-now button. If it actually has "Hasbro"
            stamped on it, I'll be surprised (and a little disappointed) but I'm
            hoping it is either military from the period or a one-off produced by
            a history buff.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 2, 2011
              On 09/02/2011 07:57 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              >>> Well, sort of... see ebay lot 270810254484
              >>>
              >>> Can't wait to see what this really is, but for 12 bucks?
              >>> I couldn't pass.
              >>
              >> Looks like an Enigma (model) to me! Very cool!
              >
              > Yea. I was sitting at my desk, doing all of the end of the week
              > builds and source repository backups and consistency checks. This
              > activity doesn't require a lot of thought so I popped up a browser
              > and started doing some of my "idle curiosity" Craig's list and ebay
              > searches. "teletype" is one of them. The GI Joe teletype result
              > came up and I thought "Gee, my buddies and I had a whole lot of GI
              > Joe gear when we were kids and I don't remember..." then I suddenly
              > recognized what was in the picture. I did a few googles to be sure
              > that 1/12th scale Enigma models we not common as dirt or anything
              > and then hit the buy-it-now button. If it actually has "Hasbro"
              > stamped on it, I'll be surprised (and a little disappointed) but I'm
              > hoping it is either military from the period or a one-off produced by
              > a history buff.

              Be sure to take some high-res pics when it arrives!

              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2011
                Very cool... Amazing German miniaturization!

                Jim

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                  Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  > If it actually has "Hasbro" stamped on it, I'll be surprised
                  > (and a little disappointed)

                  Well, it doesn't have "Hasbro" stamped on it, but I am surprised and
                  a little disappointed. The appearance of age in the photo was simply
                  a fine layer of dust. The model is made of very precisely molded,
                  very hard plastic, the kind used in high quality, finely detailed
                  model railroad items. It is much higher quality than anything that
                  came with GI Joe toys. There is no indication of a makers mark of any
                  kind on it. It is very finely detailed. The box has "wood grain"
                  molded into it and the scale screw heads on the box handle are clearly
                  visible. The only place it "falls down" is the box hinge, which is
                  a standard "little plastic pillbox" style hinge, totally out of scale.
                  The coloring of the various elements are molded into the plastic
                  rather than being painted on. It is most definitely intended to be a
                  three rotor enigma. Still not too bad for my twelve bucks, but there
                  are probably many more of them out there somewhere. I'm still wondering
                  when/where/why it was made.

                  Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                  own an enigma.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                    > > If it actually has "Hasbro" stamped on it, I'll be surprised
                    > > (and a little disappointed)
                    >
                    > Well, it doesn't have "Hasbro" stamped on it, but I am surprised and
                    > a little disappointed. The appearance of age in the photo was simply
                    > a fine layer of dust. The model is made of very precisely molded,
                    > very hard plastic, the kind used in high quality, finely detailed
                    > model railroad items. It is much higher quality than anything that
                    > came with GI Joe toys. There is no indication of a makers mark of any
                    > kind on it. It is very finely detailed. The box has "wood grain"
                    > molded into it and the scale screw heads on the box handle are clearly
                    > visible. The only place it "falls down" is the box hinge, which is
                    > a standard "little plastic pillbox" style hinge, totally out of scale.
                    > The coloring of the various elements are molded into the plastic
                    > rather than being painted on. It is most definitely intended to be a
                    > three rotor enigma. Still not too bad for my twelve bucks, but there
                    > are probably many more of them out there somewhere. I'm still wondering
                    > when/where/why it was made.
                    >
                    > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                    > own an enigma.
                    >
                    > Bill

                    You could say that your desire to know when/where/why does make this a real
                    enigma.

                    Bill
                  • Barry L. Kline
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                      On 09/12/2011 11:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                      > I'm still wondering
                      > when/where/why it was made.
                      >
                      > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                      > own an enigma.

                      Well, its providence is an enigma, for sure!

                      Barry
                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                        Barry L. Kline wrote:
                        > On 09/12/2011 11:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                        > > I'm still wondering when/where/why it was made.
                        > >
                        > > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my trinket shelf and I can say I
                        > > own an enigma.
                        >
                        > Well, its providence is an enigma, for sure!

                        It just occurred to me that one place it would be "appropriate" to sell
                        something like this might be at a Bletchley Park souvenir shop. Anyone
                        know if such a place exists?

                        Bill
                      • Mike Hatch
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                          Hi,

                          > It just occurred to me that one place it would be "appropriate" to sell
                          > something like this might be at a Bletchley Park souvenir shop. Anyone
                          > know if such a place exists?

                          Yes they do, and a very good shop at that, don't know if it's online
                          though - http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/collect/computer.rhtm.

                          Don't remember seeing any of your "enigmas" there either, Bletchley Park
                          is well worth a visit.

                          Mike.

                          --

                          Best regards,

                          Mike Hatch

                          Email - mike@...
                          Soemtron calculators - www.soemtron.org
                          DEC PDP-7 - www.pdp-7.org

                          Looking for a PDP-7 (some hope!)

                          Britain's smallest country park - www.brickfieldspark.org
                          E-mail - mike@...
                          Urban Wildlife ring - www.brickfieldspark.org/uwringhome.htm

                          Don't miss the Brickfields Park Wildlife Funday, Sunday 1st July 2012
                        • Bob Schwier
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 12, 2011
                            You can sell it with a pocket colossus machine.
                            bs

                            > > It just occurred to me that one place it would be
                            > "appropriate" to sell
                            > > something like this might be at a Bletchley Park
                            > souvenir shop. Anyone
                            > > know if such a place exists?
                            >
                            > Yes they do, and a very good shop at that, don't know if
                            > it's online
                            > though - http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/collect/computer.rhtm.
                            >
                            > Don't remember seeing any of your "enigmas" there either,
                            > Bletchley Park
                            > is well worth a visit.
                            >
                            > Mike.
                            >

                            > On 12/09/2011 17:19, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                            > > Barry L. Kline wrote:
                            > >  > On 09/12/2011 11:52 AM, Bill Sudbrink
                            > wrote:
                            > >  > > I'm still wondering when/where/why it
                            > was made.
                            > >  > >
                            > >  > > Oh well, something "cute" to put on my
                            > trinket shelf and I can say I
                            > >  > > own an enigma.
                            > >  >
                            > >  > Well, its providence is an enigma, for
                            > sure!
                            > >
                            > > It just occurred to me that one place it would be
                            > "appropriate" to sell
                            > > something like this might be at a Bletchley Park
                            > souvenir shop. Anyone
                            > > know if such a place exists?
                            > >
                            > > Bill
                            > >

                            > --
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            >
                            > Mike Hatch
                            >
                            > Email - mike@...
                            > Soemtron calculators - www.soemtron.org
                            > DEC PDP-7 - www.pdp-7.org
                            >
                            > Looking for a PDP-7 (some hope!)
                            >

                            > Britain's smallest country park -
                            > www.brickfieldspark.org
                            > E-mail - mike@...
                            > Urban Wildlife ring -
                            > www.brickfieldspark.org/uwringhome.htm
                            >
                            > Don't miss the Brickfields Park Wildlife Funday, Sunday 1st
                            > July 2012

                            >     midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          • Jeff Jonas
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                              I'm trying to print up some of these for the MAKER fair:

                              Paper Enigma Machine by Mike Koss

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 16, 2011
                                We have very limited space. Please don't bring extra stuff.