Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Alfred Byrne
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
      Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
      connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
      you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

      Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
      what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
      have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
      jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
      Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
      need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
      also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
      output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
      composite video through the round din connector.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <starbase89@...> wrote:
      > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
      >
      > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
      looking for those little
      > >external switches to connect classics up to the
      cable inputs of "standard"
      > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
      one place that had them for
      > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
      > >
      > >Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > >Kelly
      > >

      > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
      >
      > Froogle is your friend.
      >
      > Joe

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Alfred L. Byrne
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
        I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
        even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

        Thanks for the input,
        Kelly
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
          Kelly Leavitt wrote:
          > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
          > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

          I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • Degnan
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            OK
            Bill

            At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

            >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
            price,
            >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
            >
            >Thanks for the input,
            >Kelly
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            -- E N D --
          • chrism3667
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
              channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
              adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
              has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
              poiposes.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                2600 is my application as well.

                With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                and 99% of the problems were solved.

                Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                  I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                  game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                  usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                  newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                  with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                  co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                  shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                  be done with it.
                  Bill D

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                    Joe,

                    If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                    - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                    channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                    > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                    >
                    > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                    > little
                    > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                    > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                    > for
                    > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                    > >
                    > >Thanks for any help.
                    > >
                    > >Kelly
                    > >

                    > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                    >
                    > Froogle is your friend.
                    >
                    > Joe

                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                      Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                      <starbase89@...> wrote:
                      > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                      >
                      > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                      looking for those little
                      > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                      cable inputs of "standard"
                      > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                      one place that had them for
                      > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                      > >
                      > >Thanks for any help.
                      > >
                      > >Kelly
                      > >

                      > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                      >
                      > Froogle is your friend.
                      >
                      > Joe

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Alfred L. Byrne
                    • Bob Applegate
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                        There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                        are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                        generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                        PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                        Bob

                        Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                        > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                        > thread late.  :)
                        >
                        > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                        > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                        > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                        > group.)
                        >

                        > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                        > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                        > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                        > Looking for RF modulators
                        >
                        > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                        > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                        > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                        > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > what
                        > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                        > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                        > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                        > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                        > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                        > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                        > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                        > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                        > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                        > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                        > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                        > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                        > >  > >>
                        >

                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >

                        >  Visit your group "

                        ___________________________________
                        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                      • Alfred Byrne
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                          Hi Everyone,
                          Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                          Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                          the group section for Tandy related information. I
                          have
                          a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                          Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                          286-16mhz
                          system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                          Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                          the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                          I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                          Windows
                          and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                          > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                          > must've joined this thread
                          > late. :)
                          >
                          > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                          > before. Please introduce
                          > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                          > all are welcome here but
                          > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                          > group.)
                          >
                          > _____

                          =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                          > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                          2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                          > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                          2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                          > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                          > Field

                          ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                          > SwdHWZfg> trip
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >

                          > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                          > on the web.

                          > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          >

                          > _____

                          Alfred L. Byrne
                        • Alfred Byrne
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                            Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                            shin-dig.

                            Alfred L. Byrne