Re: How can I tell if my SMD disk head is crashing?

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2011
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, c f <christopher.h.fenton@...> wrote:

      > -The control electronics were basically shot, and I didn't have schematics
      > for the drive, so I wound up disconnecting everything but the analog
      > read-amplifier/head-select board. I built a robot that clamped onto the
      > positioning voice-coil and manually stepped the read-head assembly forward
      > (at 5200 steps/inch, vs. 400 data tracks/inch), and built a simple ADC
      > connected to an FPGA that buffered copies of the data tracks for every head
      > on every step.
      >
      > I now have a super high-resolution 'magnetic image' of the disk, and I'm
      > going to try to do some signal processing to see if I can recover anything
      > useful from it.
      >
      > -Chris

      That's VERY impressive work. Any chance you can put it up on a Web site and show it? If you put a few tracks of binary data up on the Web, some number of us might advise as to how to decode it. At that point it's an exercise in software, and some people do a LOT of that sort of decoding, just for fun. Certainly, more people that those who can jump-start a hard drive as you have. Congratulations!

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com