Re: Heathkit Getting Back In The Kit Business

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "RonK" <rkushnier@...> wrote:

      I wrote:
      > "Point of fact: The entire Hero product line and name was sold at one point to a collector. Last I heard, he was still supporting Hero robots. I note on "heathkit.com" they call "their" robot "HE_RObot" presumably to avoid conflict with the sold trademark "HERO"."
      >
      > You too can buy an up-to-date HERO One for around $8000 according to this site> http://www.robotshop.com/white-box-robotics-en.html
      >
      > Ron

      Ron, I don't see reference to the Heathkit "Hero" on the RobotShop Site Web page. They are no doubt "up to date" and look like the Heathkit HERO. I won't split hairs past that.

      ...but I was talking about the actual, original Hero product line. A Google search leads to the following:

      http://www.robotsandcomputers.com/robots/hero.htm

      confirms my post: the Hero product and name were sold to "Mobile Ed Productions", then apparently resold to Robert Doerr of RobotsWanted.com. But the home page there is 4 years old - I've sent an email to ask for an update.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
        I'm in touch now with Robert Doerr, the owner of the original HERO line from Heath. I'll report his remarks to me in a few days. Short story is that he's repaired and updated the HERO for some time now and has an inventory of old and new parts. He's also active in personal robots past, and presently with "battlebots". And, he acknowledges his vintage computing roots. Details will be on my site and a link will be posted here.

        This is an interesting story in how "retrotechnology" works, which is why it's on my Web pages.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
          http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/heath_robot.html

          Robert Doerr, current owner of Heathkit's HERO product line, discussed the status of his HERO efforts. Encourage him to update his HERO pages and projects! He's also doing some "battlebot" stuff which seems to be popular these days.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2011
            > http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/heath_robot.html
            >
            > Robert Doerr, current owner of Heathkit's HERO product line, discussed the status of his HERO efforts. Encourage him to update his HERO pages and projects! He's also doing some "battlebot" stuff which seems to be popular these days.

            His web page indicates a location in metro Detroit. He'd a be a great
            guest speaker for VCF Midwest.