Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Degnan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
      "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
      or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
      cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
      like Chris was referring to?
      Bill D

      At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

      >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
      little
      >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
      "standard"
      >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
      had them for
      >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
      >
      >Thanks for any help.
      >
      >Kelly
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      -- E N D --
    • Alfred Byrne
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
        Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
        connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
        you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

        Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
        what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
        have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
        jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
        Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
        need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
        also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
        output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
        composite video through the round din connector.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        <starbase89@...> wrote:
        > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        >
        > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
        looking for those little
        > >external switches to connect classics up to the
        cable inputs of "standard"
        > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
        one place that had them for
        > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
        > >
        > >Thanks for any help.
        > >
        > >Kelly
        > >

        > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
        >
        > Froogle is your friend.
        >
        > Joe

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Alfred L. Byrne
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
          I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
          even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

          Thanks for the input,
          Kelly
        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            Kelly Leavitt wrote:
            > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
            > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

            I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

            Cheers,

            Bryan
          • Degnan
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              OK
              Bill

              At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

              >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
              price,
              >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
              >
              >Thanks for the input,
              >Kelly
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              -- E N D --
            • chrism3667
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                poiposes.

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                  2600 is my application as well.

                  With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                  static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                  and 99% of the problems were solved.

                  Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                    I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                    game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                    usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                    newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                    with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                    co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                    shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                    be done with it.
                    Bill D

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Joe,

                      If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                      - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                      channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                      > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                      >
                      > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                      > little
                      > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                      > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                      > for
                      > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                      > >
                      > >Thanks for any help.
                      > >
                      > >Kelly
                      > >

                      > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                      >
                      > Froogle is your friend.
                      >
                      > Joe

                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                        Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                        <starbase89@...> wrote:
                        > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                        >
                        > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                        looking for those little
                        > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                        cable inputs of "standard"
                        > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                        one place that had them for
                        > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                        > >
                        > >Thanks for any help.
                        > >
                        > >Kelly
                        > >

                        > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                        >
                        > Froogle is your friend.
                        >
                        > Joe

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Alfred L. Byrne
                      • Bob Applegate
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                          There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                          are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                          generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                          PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                          Bob

                          Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                          > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                          > thread late.  :)
                          >
                          > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                          > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                          > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                          > group.)
                          >

                          > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                          > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                          > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                          > Looking for RF modulators
                          >
                          > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                          > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                          > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                          > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > what
                          > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                          > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                          > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                          > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                          > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                          > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                          > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                          > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                          > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                          > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                          > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                          > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                          > >  > >>
                          >

                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                          >

                          >  Visit your group "

                          ___________________________________
                          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                        • Alfred Byrne
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                            Hi Everyone,
                            Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                            Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                            the group section for Tandy related information. I
                            have
                            a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                            Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                            286-16mhz
                            system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                            Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                            the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                            I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                            Windows
                            and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                            > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                            > must've joined this thread
                            > late. :)
                            >
                            > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                            > before. Please introduce
                            > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                            > all are welcome here but
                            > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                            > group.)
                            >
                            > _____

                            =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                            > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                            > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                            2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                            > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                            > Field

                            ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                            > SwdHWZfg> trip
                            >
                            > _____
                            >
                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                            > on the web.

                            > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                            >

                            > _____

                            Alfred L. Byrne
                          • Alfred Byrne
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                              Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                              shin-dig.

                              Alfred L. Byrne