Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      Evan wrote:
      RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:
      Radioshack has the same thing, but, as always, its more expensive. Only advantage is if you don't want to wait for shipping.

    • Degnan
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
        "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
        or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
        cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
        like Chris was referring to?
        Bill D

        At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

        >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
        little
        >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
        "standard"
        >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
        had them for
        >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
        >
        >Thanks for any help.
        >
        >Kelly
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        -- E N D --
      • Alfred Byrne
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
          Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
          connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
          you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

          Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
          what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
          have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
          jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
          Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
          need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
          also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
          output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
          composite video through the round din connector.
          --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          <starbase89@...> wrote:
          > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
          >
          > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
          looking for those little
          > >external switches to connect classics up to the
          cable inputs of "standard"
          > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
          one place that had them for
          > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
          > >
          > >Thanks for any help.
          > >
          > >Kelly
          > >

          > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
          >
          > Froogle is your friend.
          >
          > Joe

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Alfred L. Byrne
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
            even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

            Thanks for the input,
            Kelly
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              Kelly Leavitt wrote:
              > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
              > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

              I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

              Cheers,

              Bryan
            • Degnan
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                OK
                Bill

                At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

                >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
                price,
                >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
                >
                >Thanks for the input,
                >Kelly
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                -- E N D --
              • chrism3667
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                  O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                  channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                  adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                  has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                  poiposes.

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                    2600 is my application as well.

                    With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                    static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                    and 99% of the problems were solved.

                    Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                      I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                      game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                      usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                      newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                      with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                      co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                      shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                      be done with it.
                      Bill D

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Joe,

                        If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                        - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                        channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                        > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                        >
                        > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                        > little
                        > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                        > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                        > for
                        > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                        > >
                        > >Thanks for any help.
                        > >
                        > >Kelly
                        > >

                        > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                        >
                        > Froogle is your friend.
                        >
                        > Joe

                      • Evan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                          Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                          <starbase89@...> wrote:
                          > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                          >
                          > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                          looking for those little
                          > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                          cable inputs of "standard"
                          > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                          one place that had them for
                          > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                          > >
                          > >Thanks for any help.
                          > >
                          > >Kelly
                          > >

                          > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                          >
                          > Froogle is your friend.
                          >
                          > Joe

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Alfred L. Byrne
                        • Bob Applegate
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                            There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                            are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                            generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                            PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                            Bob

                            Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                            > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                            > thread late.  :)
                            >
                            > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                            > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                            > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                            > group.)
                            >

                            > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                            > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                            > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                            > Looking for RF modulators
                            >
                            > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                            > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                            > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                            > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > what
                            > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                            > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                            > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                            > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                            > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                            > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                            > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                            > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                            > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                            > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                            > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                            > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                            > >  > >>
                            >

                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            >  Visit your group "

                            ___________________________________
                            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                          • Alfred Byrne
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                              Hi Everyone,
                              Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                              Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                              the group section for Tandy related information. I
                              have
                              a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                              Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                              286-16mhz
                              system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                              Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                              the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                              I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                              Windows
                              and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                              > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                              > must've joined this thread
                              > late. :)
                              >
                              > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                              > before. Please introduce
                              > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                              > all are welcome here but
                              > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                              > group.)
                              >
                              > _____

                              =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                              > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                              > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                              2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                              > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                              > Field

                              ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                              > SwdHWZfg> trip
                              >
                              > _____
                              >
                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >

                              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                              > on the web.

                              > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                              >

                              > _____

                              Alfred L. Byrne
                            • Alfred Byrne
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                                shin-dig.

                                Alfred L. Byrne