Re: Not bad at Infoage

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

      > Anyway, for history buffs, this is probably what happened
      > to the Raleigh colony. You notice that they built their village
      > on the parcel of land most likely to get a hurricane.

      That's what you get when Realtors run a town :-)
      "this is a pretty place for a house, just look at the view!"
      Yes, I can watch the storm coming right at me!

      > The survivors probably went inland and went native
      > as there were later reports of NC and Virginia Indians
      > with blue eyes or light hair.

      The History channel has a series "before Columbus"
      speculating all about who was here first, how and why.
      Of course, the answer is "just about everyone was here first!"
      Happily I didn't catch the episode blaming UFOs.

      > From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
      > Heard from Fred and Steve.
      > InfoAge only had minimal damage.
      > Inch or two of water in the hotel basement

      *sigh* All of the basement, or just the IXR side?
      I was hoping we'd have abated that with the sandbags,
      but that depended on electrical power for the pumps.

      > Also: Fred noted that the basement water
      > could have been prevented if the sump pumps
      > had been attached to backup generators.

      I infer that means power was lost :-(
      How long must something stay submerged
      to qualify for the shipwreck museum :-)
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
        > The History channel has a series "before Columbus" speculating all
        > about who was here first, how and why. Of course, the answer is "just
        > about everyone was here first!"

        I recommend a book called "1491" about that subject. It's very good.

        > *sigh* All of the basement, or just the IXR side?

        I don't know. But as you know, all of * our * valuable stuff was more
        than a few inches off the ground.

        > I was hoping we'd have abated that with the sandbags, but that
        > depended on electrical power for the pumps

        Correct.

        > I infer that means power was lost :-(

        Yes. All of Wall Township. It wasn't an InfoAge thing.