RE: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        Evan wrote:
        RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:
        Radioshack has the same thing, but, as always, its more expensive. Only advantage is if you don't want to wait for shipping.

      • Degnan
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
          I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
          "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
          or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
          cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
          like Chris was referring to?
          Bill D

          At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

          >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
          little
          >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
          "standard"
          >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
          had them for
          >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
          >
          >Thanks for any help.
          >
          >Kelly
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          -- E N D --
        • Alfred Byrne
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
            connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
            you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

            Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
            what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
            have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
            jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
            Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
            need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
            also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
            output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
            composite video through the round din connector.
            --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            <starbase89@...> wrote:
            > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
            >
            > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
            looking for those little
            > >external switches to connect classics up to the
            cable inputs of "standard"
            > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
            one place that had them for
            > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
            > >
            > >Thanks for any help.
            > >
            > >Kelly
            > >

            > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
            >
            > Froogle is your friend.
            >
            > Joe

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Alfred L. Byrne
          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
              even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

              Thanks for the input,
              Kelly
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • Degnan
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                  OK
                  Bill

                  At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

                  >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
                  price,
                  >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
                  >
                  >Thanks for the input,
                  >Kelly
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  -- E N D --
                • chrism3667
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                    O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                    channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                    adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                    has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                    poiposes.

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                      2600 is my application as well.

                      With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                      static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                      and 99% of the problems were solved.

                      Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                        I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                        game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                        usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                        newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                        with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                        co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                        shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                        be done with it.
                        Bill D

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Joe,

                          If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                          - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                          channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                          > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                          >
                          > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                          > little
                          > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                          > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                          > for
                          > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                          > >
                          > >Thanks for any help.
                          > >
                          > >Kelly
                          > >

                          > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                          >
                          > Froogle is your friend.
                          >
                          > Joe

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                            Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                            Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                            <starbase89@...> wrote:
                            > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                            >
                            > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                            looking for those little
                            > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                            cable inputs of "standard"
                            > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                            one place that had them for
                            > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                            > >
                            > >Thanks for any help.
                            > >
                            > >Kelly
                            > >

                            > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                            >
                            > Froogle is your friend.
                            >
                            > Joe

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                            Alfred L. Byrne
                          • Bob Applegate
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                              There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                              are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                              generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                              PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                              Bob

                              Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                              > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                              > thread late.  :)
                              >
                              > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                              > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                              > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                              > group.)
                              >

                              > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                              > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                              > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                              > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                              > Looking for RF modulators
                              >
                              > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                              > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                              > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                              > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > what
                              > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                              > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                              > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                              > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                              > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                              > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                              > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                              > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                              > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                              > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                              > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                              > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                              > >  > >>
                              >

                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                              >

                              >  Visit your group "

                              ___________________________________
                              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                            • Alfred Byrne
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Hi Everyone,
                                Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                                Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                                the group section for Tandy related information. I
                                have
                                a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                                Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                                286-16mhz
                                system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                                Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                                the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                                I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                                Windows
                                and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                                --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                                > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                                > must've joined this thread
                                > late. :)
                                >
                                > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                                > before. Please introduce
                                > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                                > all are welcome here but
                                > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                > group.)
                                >
                                > _____

                                =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                                > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                                2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                                > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                                2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                                > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                                > Field

                                ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                                > SwdHWZfg> trip
                                >
                                > _____
                                >
                                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                >

                                > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                                > on the web.

                                > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                >

                                > _____

                                Alfred L. Byrne
                              • Alfred Byrne
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                                  shin-dig.

                                  Alfred L. Byrne