The 12 biggest PC duds ever

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
      Another list. I think he should have chose the Plus 4, rather than the C-128.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
        At 07:19 PM 8/28/2011, you wrote:

        Another list. I think he should have chose the Plus 4, rather than the C-128.

        http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/286031/the-12-biggest-pc-duds-ever/1

        Yawn.  How about for once someone who writes for an online mag to do a little research and publish something that requires a little work like say influential computer designs that were commercial flops, or something about NEW computers and leave the vintage computer articles to someone who knows what they're talking about.

        OK.

        Bill
      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
          B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

          >At 07:19 PM 8/28/2011, you wrote:
          >

          >>Another list. I think he should have chose the Plus 4, rather than the
          >C-128. >
          >><http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/286031/the-12-biggest-pc-duds-ever/1>http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/286031/the-12-biggest-pc-duds-ever/1
          >>

          >Yawn. How about for once someone who writes for an online mag to do a
          >little research and publish something that requires a little work like
          >say influential computer designs that were commercial flops, or
          >something about NEW computers and leave the vintage computer articles to
          >someone who knows what they're talking about.

          What say you? And, buck typical journalistic trends? :)

          This short of article seems to me to be just be filler for when they have
          nothing better to print.
        • brian_cirulnick
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011

            > Another list. I think he should have chose the Plus 4, rather than the C-128.
            >
            > http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/286031/the-12-biggest-pc-duds-ever/1

            Really. The author's claim is that the 128 is a dud because it followed the tremendously successful C=64, and didn't sell as well as it. By that line of reasoning *every* computer except the C=64 is a dud.

            The 128 sold 4 million units according to the author. Find me any specific model Dell that sold that 4 million units. Sheesh.

            Looks to me like he had to fill a quota and copped out. I mean the Audrey? That's not even a real "PC" by most standards, he might as well have included "The Email Station".

            And then there's his inclusion of a Tablet running Windows. There have been dozens of tablets that haven't caught on for one reason or another. Why not list the Newton then as a PC dud?

            I swear the guy just picked 12 computers at random, ones he could find good images of on the internet -- and he didn't even do that well, as the photo of the NeXT cube is missing the rear panel.

            Man, don't you wish you could be paid to write worthless articles to fill up the internet?
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
              On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, brian_cirulnick wrote:

              > Man, don't you wish you could be paid to write worthless articles to fill up the internet?

              Evan? :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011

                Man, don't you wish you could be paid to write worthless articles to fill up the internet?

                    Evan?  :-)

                I figured someone would joke about that .....

                A pub like PC Mag would never be interested in my day-to-day work. Other than one year at my hometown daily newspaper, I've never done any consumer writing.

                I suppose my career is best summarized as "journeyman trade magazine reporter". I was at eWeek, Wireless Week, and Mobile Enterprise. Now I'm at a niche publication called Law Technology News (the tech arm of Law.com): http://tinyurl.com/44v84sk.

                I like what I do, but it's just a job. The history stuff is my passion.

              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
                  "brian_cirulnick" <techrat@...> writes:

                  >Man, don't you wish you could be paid to write worthless articles to
                  >fill u= p the internet?=20

                  Millions do every day when they post crap on Facebook from their employer's
                  systems and networks. ;)