Re: [midatlanticretro] Infoage

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 08/28/2011 10:53 AM, system@... wrote: > "Evan
      >Koblentz"<evan@...> writes: > >> The storm eye is now passing
      >over infoage > > Pfft! Irene, the over-hyped non-event of the summer.
      >Lots and lots of rain > but she was nothing as severe as the tornadic
      >storm that hit here one month > ago tomorrow. We didn't even lose power
      >and northern Ocean country was the > only area which was under a Tornado
      >warning as she blew in in the wee hours > this morning. > > The only
      >thing that blew more than Irene was the news hype! ;) > > Happily, I'm
      >glad that she was nothing. Save for flooding, most everything > is
      >still standing.
      >
      > Yup, it was ALL hype.
      >
      > ...with fifteen dead, three million without power, widespread
      >flooding in coastal areas of eight states, and public transit in the
      >country's largest city shut down.

      Are you counting the guy who had the heart attack or the several destined-
      to-be" nominees for this year's Darwin awards in that figure? People were
      warned with certainly far more warning than we got for the storm that hit
      here one month ago.

      We had 20,000 without power for days from a freak storm that blew through
      Northern Ocean County on the 29th of July. Far more carnage too than was
      caused by Irene. I'm happy noone got upset about that. Divvy that figure
      into your three million and it doesn't seem as if that number -- seeing as
      Irene affected how many more states with how many more counties -- is all
      that significant. NYC's subways flood out all the time. It's not hard to
      figure out if one considers that water tends to seek both a level and the
      lowest level. NYer's will get over it. 9/11 has given them thicker skin.

      I remember a nor'easter back when I worked in Hoboken. The Path station
      saw water up to almost the top of the stairs on the Hoboken side. Pumps
      were installed in these underground transit holes for a reason!

      > Nothing but hype!

      In a relative way, yes.

      Hey, I made it through a "tough slog", whatever that's supposed to mean.

      Anyway, I rode it out...
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 28, 2011
        On 08/28/2011 05:12 PM, system@... wrote:
        >> Yup, it was ALL hype.
        >>
        >> ...with fifteen dead, three million without power, widespread
        >> flooding in coastal areas of eight states, and public transit in the
        >> country's largest city shut down.
        >
        > Are you counting the guy who had the heart attack or the several destined-
        > to-be" nominees for this year's Darwin awards in that figure?

        Oh, you mean the "SURF'S UP, DUUUUDE!" idiots who seem to think that
        surfing during a hurricane is a good idea? I'm right there with you on
        that. I laughed my ass off when I read about those morons. There was a
        time when I'd have been sad about it, but...that time has passed. Some
        people are just too damn stupid.

        > People were
        > warned with certainly far more warning than we got for the storm that hit
        > here one month ago.

        Absolutely. I remember that monstrosity.

        >> Nothing but hype!
        >
        > In a relative way, yes.
        >
        > Hey, I made it through a "tough slog", whatever that's supposed to mean.
        >
        > Anyway, I rode it out...

        Wel...I'm glad to hear you're ok.

        Dave McGuire
        Port Charlotte, FL
      • Alexey Toptygin
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 29, 2011
          On Sun, 28 Aug 2011, Christopher Blackmon wrote:

          > Garner, just SE of Raleigh.

          Didn't realize there was anyone else near me: I'm in Raleigh, a block away
          from the border with Cary.

          Alexey