Found RF Modulators - Looking for RF modulators

  • Gene Ehrich
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      At 09:04 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
      >Kelly Leavitt wrote:
      >
      > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
      > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
      > >TVs.

      Here's one on e-bay with no bids yet and starting bid of $3.85

      <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8758792448&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT>TI-99/4A
      UM1381-1 Video Modulator NEW TI
      99/4A<http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EmitSellerShippingCalculator&itemId=8758792448>
      --

      Also these from http://www.voicenet.com/~generic/

      TI-99/4A Modulator UM1381-1 (56) NEW (3 for $15).... $ 7
      TI Home Computer 99/4A Cassette Cable NEW
      Model # PHA 2622 (18) (3 for $15)................ $ 7
      TI Home Computer 99/4A Dual Cassette Cable NEW one
      w/2 leads 1/with 3 PHA 2000 (16) (3 for $15)..... $ 7

      > Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
      > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
      > >
      > >Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > >Kelly
      > >
      > ><http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html>http://www.baysoftgames
      > com/rfswitch.html
      >
      >Froogle is your friend.
      >
      >Joe

      > *
      >

      >----------
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:

        were called. I'm looking for those little
        >external switches to connect
        classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
        >TVs. Any sources for the
        old style ones? I found one place that had them for
        >$4.95 each. Can't
        find it again.

        >Thanks for any
        help.

        >Kelly

        http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html

        Froogle is your friend.

        Joe
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
          Evan wrote:
          RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:
          Radioshack has the same thing, but, as always, its more expensive. Only advantage is if you don't want to wait for shipping.

        • Degnan
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
            I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
            "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
            or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
            cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
            like Chris was referring to?
            Bill D

            At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

            >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
            little
            >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
            "standard"
            >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
            had them for
            >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
            >
            >Thanks for any help.
            >
            >Kelly
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            -- E N D --
          • Alfred Byrne
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
              connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
              you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

              Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:
              what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
              have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
              jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
              Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
              need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
              also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
              output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
              composite video through the round din connector.
              --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              <starbase89@...> wrote:
              > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
              >
              > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
              looking for those little
              > >external switches to connect classics up to the
              cable inputs of "standard"
              > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
              one place that had them for
              > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
              > >
              > >Thanks for any help.
              > >
              > >Kelly
              > >

              > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
              >
              > Froogle is your friend.
              >
              > Joe

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Alfred L. Byrne
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                Thanks for the input,
                Kelly
              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                  > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                  > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                  I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan
                • Degnan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                    OK
                    Bill

                    At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

                    >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
                    price,
                    >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
                    >
                    >Thanks for the input,
                    >Kelly
                    >
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    -- E N D --
                  • chrism3667
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                      O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                      channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                      adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                      has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                      poiposes.

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                        2600 is my application as well.

                        With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                        static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                        and 99% of the problems were solved.

                        Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                          I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                          game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                          usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                          newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                          with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                          co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                          shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                          be done with it.
                          Bill D

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                            Joe,

                            If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                            - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                            channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                            > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                            >
                            > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                            > little
                            > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                            > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                            > for
                            > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                            > >
                            > >Thanks for any help.
                            > >
                            > >Kelly
                            > >

                            > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                            >
                            > Froogle is your friend.
                            >
                            > Joe

                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                              Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                              Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                              <starbase89@...> wrote:
                              > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                              >
                              > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                              looking for those little
                              > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                              cable inputs of "standard"
                              > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                              one place that had them for
                              > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                              > >
                              > >Thanks for any help.
                              > >
                              > >Kelly
                              > >

                              > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                              >
                              > Froogle is your friend.
                              >
                              > Joe

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                              Alfred L. Byrne
                            • Bob Applegate
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                                are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                                generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                                PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                                Bob

                                Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                                > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                                > thread late.  :)
                                >
                                > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                                > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                                > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                > group.)
                                >

                                > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                                > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                                > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                                > Looking for RF modulators
                                >
                                > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                                > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                                > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                                > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > what
                                > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                                > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                                > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                                > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                                > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                                > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                                > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                                > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                                > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                                > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                                > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                                > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                                > >  > >>
                                >

                                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                >

                                >  Visit your group "

                                ___________________________________
                                NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                              • Alfred Byrne
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  Hi Everyone,
                                  Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                                  Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                                  the group section for Tandy related information. I
                                  have
                                  a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                                  Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                                  286-16mhz
                                  system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                                  Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                                  the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                                  I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                                  Windows
                                  and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                                  > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                                  > must've joined this thread
                                  > late. :)
                                  >
                                  > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                                  > before. Please introduce
                                  > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                                  > all are welcome here but
                                  > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                  > group.)
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                  =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                                  > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                                  > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                                  2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                                  > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                                  > Field

                                  ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                                  > SwdHWZfg> trip
                                  >
                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                  >

                                  > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                                  > on the web.

                                  > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                  Alfred L. Byrne
                                • Alfred Byrne
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                                    shin-dig.

                                    Alfred L. Byrne