Re: [midatlanticretro] Looking for RF modulators

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
      what do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnt
      have cable inputs. You connected cable to the antenna
      jacks by way of an impedance matcher/adapter.
      Depending on what classic yer talking about, you dont
      need modulation, just a switch (those switches may
      also convert 75 to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64
      output channel 3 through the rca jack, carrierless
      composite video through the round din connector.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <starbase89@...> wrote:
      > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
      >
      > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
      looking for those little
      > >external switches to connect classics up to the
      cable inputs of "standard"
      > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
      one place that had them for
      > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
      > >
      > >Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > >Kelly
      > >

      > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
      >
      > Froogle is your friend.
      >
      > Joe

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Gene Ehrich
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        At 09:04 PM 2/1/2006, you wrote:
        >Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        >
        > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those little
        > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
        > >TVs.

        Here's one on e-bay with no bids yet and starting bid of $3.85

        <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8758792448&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT>TI-99/4A
        UM1381-1 Video Modulator NEW TI
        99/4A<http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EmitSellerShippingCalculator&itemId=8758792448>
        --

        Also these from http://www.voicenet.com/~generic/

        TI-99/4A Modulator UM1381-1 (56) NEW (3 for $15).... $ 7
        TI Home Computer 99/4A Cassette Cable NEW
        Model # PHA 2622 (18) (3 for $15)................ $ 7
        TI Home Computer 99/4A Dual Cassette Cable NEW one
        w/2 leads 1/with 3 PHA 2000 (16) (3 for $15)..... $ 7

        > Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them for
        > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
        > >
        > >Thanks for any help.
        > >
        > >Kelly
        > >
        > ><http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html>http://www.baysoftgames
        > com/rfswitch.html
        >
        >Froogle is your friend.
        >
        >Joe

        > *
        >

        >----------
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
          RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:

          were called. I'm looking for those little
          >external switches to connect
          classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
          >TVs. Any sources for the
          old style ones? I found one place that had them for
          >$4.95 each. Can't
          find it again.

          >Thanks for any
          help.

          >Kelly

          http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html

          Froogle is your friend.

          Joe
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
            Evan wrote:
            RF switches suck.  You get a MUCH better picture with this:
            Radioshack has the same thing, but, as always, its more expensive. Only advantage is if you don't want to wait for shipping.

          • Degnan
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
              I have a box full of miscellaneous "computer to tv" units with the
              "computer" and "antenna" switches. Please specify the jack ends/impedience
              or whatever, etc. Are you trying to hook this to a tv with a newer
              cable connector, or a tv with the old fashioned antenna connectors
              like Chris was referring to?
              Bill D

              At Wednesday, 1 February 2006, you wrote:

              >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
              little
              >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of
              "standard"
              >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that
              had them for
              >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
              >
              >Thanks for any help.
              >
              >Kelly
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              -- E N D --
            • Alfred Byrne
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.

                <starbase89@...> wrote:
                > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                >
                > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                looking for those little
                > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                cable inputs of "standard"
                > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                one place that had them for
                > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                > >
                > >Thanks for any help.
                > >
                > >Kelly
                > >

                > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                >
                > Froogle is your friend.
                >
                > Joe

                http://mail.yahoo.com

                Alfred L. Byrne
              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                  I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                  even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                  Thanks for the input,
                  Kelly
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                    Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                    > I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that price,
                    > even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.

                    I have used this adapter on my Atari 2600 and it works great!

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Degnan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                      OK
                      Bill

                      At Thursday, 2 February 2006, you wrote:

                      >I'm going to try one of the adapters that Evan suggested. For that
                      price,
                      >even if they don't work I can use it as a sinker.
                      >
                      >Thanks for the input,
                      >Kelly
                      >
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      -- E N D --
                    • chrism3667
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
                        O man, what puter are we talking about here? If it doesn't put out
                        channel 3 (or 4 did some I think), you will need a modulator. That
                        adapter thing is only that. No, no TV over the last probably 20 years
                        has had rabbit ear inputs. I simply stated it for edumucational
                        poiposes.

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                          2600 is my application as well.

                          With the old RF modulator, the games appeared on my TV with lots of
                          static and warped images. Then I plugged in the coax adapter instead
                          and 99% of the problems were solved.

                          Not to sound like an infomercial, but these things really do work!!

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                            I have a box of various original RF adapters from various computers and
                            game systems 70's-80's. A lot of these are time damaged, and that's
                            usually the cause of the static. There is no real difference between a
                            newer "Nintendo" style RF with a Co-ax connector, and the older version
                            with 75/300 ohm switch in good working condition. Of course you need a
                            co-ax converter too, which can add static if that's not in good
                            shape. It's really not a bad idea to break down and go to Radio Shack and
                            be done with it.
                            Bill D

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                              Joe,

                              If the device already produces output on a TV channel, you need an A/B switch
                              - try Radio Shack. Sources for an actual RF modulator (composit video in, TV
                              channel 3 out): MCM Electronics, your favorite search engine, eBay.

                              > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                              >
                              > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm looking for those
                              > little
                              > >external switches to connect classics up to the cable inputs of "standard"
                              > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found one place that had them
                              > for
                              > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                              > >
                              > >Thanks for any help.
                              > >
                              > >Kelly
                              > >

                              > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                              >
                              > Froogle is your friend.
                              >
                              > Joe

                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this thread late.  :)

                                Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic group.)

                                <starbase89@...> wrote:
                                > Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                >
                                > >At least I think that's what they were called. I'm
                                looking for those little
                                > >external switches to connect classics up to the
                                cable inputs of "standard"
                                > >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I found
                                one place that had them for
                                > >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.
                                > >
                                > >Thanks for any help.
                                > >
                                > >Kelly
                                > >

                                > http://www.baysoftgames.com/rfswitch.html
                                >
                                > Froogle is your friend.
                                >
                                > Joe

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                                Alfred L. Byrne
                              • Bob Applegate
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                  There are lots of coax connectors, but the ones used by cable/TV
                                  are called "F" connectors. There's a chance that if you ask for
                                  generic coax stuff, the guy at Radio Shack might point you to the
                                  PL-259s, SO-239s, etc (do they even stock those anymore?).

                                  Bob

                                  Evan <evan947@...> wrote :

                                  > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you must've joined this
                                  > thread late.  :)
                                  >
                                  > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here before.  Please
                                  > introduce yourself.  (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ... all are
                                  > welcome here but as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                  > group.)
                                  >

                                  > From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                  > [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alfred
                                  > ByrneSent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:33 AMTo:
                                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [midatlanticretro]
                                  > Looking for RF modulators
                                  >
                                  > Radio Shack has a cable adapter to adapt an RCA jack to the cable
                                  > connector on the back of the TV. On the new cable ready TV set
                                  > you don't need a 75 to 300 ohm converter/switch box.Chris M
                                  > <chrism3667@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > what
                                  > do you mean by old style? Old style TVs didnthave cable inputs. You
                                  > connected cable to the antennajacks by way of an impedance
                                  > matcher/adapter.Depending on what classic yer talking about, you
                                  > dontneed modulation, just a switch (those switches mayalso convert 75
                                  > to 300 ohms). Frinstance, the C64output channel 3 through the rca jack,
                                  > carrierlesscomposite video through the round din connector.---
                                  > midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com<starbase89@...>
                                  > wrote:> Kelly Leavitt wrote:> > >At least I think
                                  > that's what they were called. I'mlooking for those little>
                                  > >external switches to connect classics up to thecable inputs of
                                  > "standard"> >TVs. Any sources for the old style ones? I foundone
                                  > place that had them for> >$4.95 each. Can't find it again.>
                                  > >  > >>
                                  >

                                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                  >

                                  >  Visit your group "

                                  ___________________________________
                                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                                • Alfred Byrne
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                    Hi Everyone,
                                    Yes I live in Ft. Worth, Texas.
                                    Joined the group a week or two ago. I was scanning
                                    the group section for Tandy related information. I
                                    have
                                    a Tandy 1000sx and a couple of Color Computers.
                                    Also hace a Packard Bell 8088 and a home-built
                                    286-16mhz
                                    system to play bouncing babys and wing commander.
                                    Started in computers when I built a s100 bus system in

                                    the early 70's using a z80 cpu.
                                    I have about 30 computer in all, Apple Mac's, Dos,
                                    Windows
                                    and Linux, Z80 to p4.

                                    --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                                    > Yup, those are called RCA-to-coax adapters, you
                                    > must've joined this thread
                                    > late. :)
                                    >
                                    > Say, Alfred, I don't think we have seen you here
                                    > before. Please introduce
                                    > yourself. (Yahoo profile says you're in Texas ...
                                    > all are welcome here but
                                    > as you may have read we're basically a mid-Atlantic
                                    > group.)
                                    >
                                    > _____

                                    =Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=yQK66sIa
                                    > fWZWnP-61n_BTQ> computer Computer

                                    2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=bvgAN5E
                                    > Yj4oAGQSA29LvCw> security Computer

                                    2=Computer+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=E3VSZZU
                                    > ZIYQJD2FP1DwFdw> training
                                    > Field

                                    ter+security&w3=Computer+training&w4=Field+trip&c=4&s=84&.sig=6Bps2Ok95uCsZL
                                    > SwdHWZfg> trip
                                    >
                                    > _____
                                    >
                                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                                    >

                                    > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
                                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
                                    > on the web.

                                    > Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                    >

                                    > _____

                                    Alfred L. Byrne
                                  • Alfred Byrne
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 4, 2006
                                      Sounds like you guys a getting ready for some
                                      shin-dig.

                                      Alfred L. Byrne