Not bad at Infoage

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
      Heard from Fred and Steve. InfoAge only had minimal damage. A tree fell
      near one of the cottages; no damage there. Inch or two of water in the
      hotel basement; nothing that should hurt MARCH artifacts because of what
      Jeff J. and I did protection-wise, and also thanks to everyone who
      helped us put things on pallets down there last year. No water at all in
      our part of the H-buildings -- even the one leaky window didn't leak. So
      that is all a big relief. Fred/Steve also both said their homes are
      (pretty much) okay, as is mine.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
        > Heard from Fred and Steve. InfoAge only had minimal damage. A tree fell near one of the cottages; no damage there. Inch or two of water in the hotel basement; nothing that should hurt MARCH artifacts because of what Jeff J. and I did protection-wise, and also thanks to everyone who helped us put things on pallets down there last year. No water at all in our part of the H-buildings -- even the one leaky window didn't leak. So that is all a big relief. Fred/Steve also both said their homes are (pretty much) okay, as is mine.

        Also: Fred noted that the basement water could have been prevented if
        the sump pumps had been attached to backup generators. Luckily, InfoAge
        didn't get burned too bad by this oversight. And now we're going to get
        generators so it doesn't happen again.
      • Christopher Blackmon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
          Heh... Cooper on CNN asks weather guy why Irene weakened and didn't do much to NYC. The answer was "NC got in the way". Oops. Our bad, sorry.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
            But the fun part was that even after the storm hit land in N.C., they were predicting the
            90+ mph winds up north.  I was sure that I was going to have my neighbor's trees in
            my yard with the 70 mph gusting that was supposed to disturb my sleep at dawn.
            Anyway, for history buffs, this is probably what happened to the Raleigh colony.  You
            notice that they built their village on the parcel of land most likely to get a hurricane.
            The survivors probably went inland and went native as there were later reports of
            NC and Virginia Indians with blue eyes or light hair.
            The wind is higher now than it was at dawn as the last parts of the storm come through.
            bs

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2011
              On 08/28/2011 02:04 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Heard from Fred and Steve. InfoAge only had minimal damage. A tree fell
              > near one of the cottages; no damage there. Inch or two of water in the
              > hotel basement; nothing that should hurt MARCH artifacts because of what
              > Jeff J. and I did protection-wise, and also thanks to everyone who
              > helped us put things on pallets down there last year. No water at all in
              > our part of the H-buildings -- even the one leaky window didn't leak. So
              > that is all a big relief. Fred/Steve also both said their homes are
              > (pretty much) okay, as is mine.

              Thank heaven!

              Dave McGuire
              Port Charlotte, FL
            • Jeff Jonas
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

                > Anyway, for history buffs, this is probably what happened
                > to the Raleigh colony. You notice that they built their village
                > on the parcel of land most likely to get a hurricane.

                That's what you get when Realtors run a town :-)
                "this is a pretty place for a house, just look at the view!"
                Yes, I can watch the storm coming right at me!

                > The survivors probably went inland and went native
                > as there were later reports of NC and Virginia Indians
                > with blue eyes or light hair.

                The History channel has a series "before Columbus"
                speculating all about who was here first, how and why.
                Of course, the answer is "just about everyone was here first!"
                Happily I didn't catch the episode blaming UFOs.

                > From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
                > Heard from Fred and Steve.
                > InfoAge only had minimal damage.
                > Inch or two of water in the hotel basement

                *sigh* All of the basement, or just the IXR side?
                I was hoping we'd have abated that with the sandbags,
                but that depended on electrical power for the pumps.

                > Also: Fred noted that the basement water
                > could have been prevented if the sump pumps
                > had been attached to backup generators.

                I infer that means power was lost :-(
                How long must something stay submerged
                to qualify for the shipwreck museum :-)
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 29, 2011
                  > The History channel has a series "before Columbus" speculating all
                  > about who was here first, how and why. Of course, the answer is "just
                  > about everyone was here first!"

                  I recommend a book called "1491" about that subject. It's very good.

                  > *sigh* All of the basement, or just the IXR side?

                  I don't know. But as you know, all of * our * valuable stuff was more
                  than a few inches off the ground.

                  > I was hoping we'd have abated that with the sandbags, but that
                  > depended on electrical power for the pumps

                  Correct.

                  > I infer that means power was lost :-(

                  Yes. All of Wall Township. It wasn't an InfoAge thing.